View Full Version : The worlds smallest First Person Shooter

Bifta
15-04-2004, 09:12
http://www.gamershell.com/download_5578.shtml

This freaked me out

1) It's not complete crap
2) It looks lush
3) It's fully functional
4) It's less than 100K and uses Pixel Shaders!

HOW?

Chris W
15-04-2004, 10:40
.kkrieger requires a relatively high-end machine to run properly. To be
precise:

- A 1.5GHz Pentium3/Athlon or faster.
- 512MB of RAM (or more)
- A Geforce4Ti (or higher) or ATI Radeon8500 (or higher) graphics card
supporting pixel shaders 1.3, preferably with 128MB or more of VRAM.
- Some kind of sound hardware
- DirectX 9.0b

:Yikes: :Yikes: :Yikes: why so much for a small game?! won't run on my pc :(

dilli-theclaw
15-04-2004, 11:09
Well it wouldn't run on my laptop - but I just tried it on my main system and it certainly looks quite good.

keithwalton
15-04-2004, 11:48
it probably generates the game as you play it, hence the power requirment, i saw a 64k demo done in c from a few years back which was 20 odd minutes of rolling 3d though it was dx7 era stuff it looked cool and had good music. During playing it, it generated 1.9GB worth of information in sound files, textures and animation code and stuff, it was rather impressive :-)

Edit - Just played it and it looks to be by the same people

Richard M
15-04-2004, 11:57
I've got the 64kb demo:
http://www.theproduct.de/

dilli-theclaw
15-04-2004, 12:06
I used to like the amiga demo's :)

I'm still impressed with what people can squeeze into such a small file.

Chris
15-04-2004, 12:15
I used to like the amiga demo's :)

I'm still impressed with what people can squeeze into such a small file.
Elite was an early pioneer of the technique, AFAIK, thanks to the BBC computer's mere 32k of RAM - which is why the planet names, and the descriptions of the inhabitants of each, were often a bit surreal. :)

dilli-theclaw
15-04-2004, 12:29
Elite was an early pioneer of the technique, AFAIK, thanks to the BBC computer's mere 32k of RAM - which is why the planet names, and the descriptions of the inhabitants of each, were often a bit surreal. :)
What's even more clever with elite is that because the game used a mixed mode display (bottom mode 1 and top mode 0) the actual game was squeezed into something silly like 9k. Which is also why the disc version had more ships - because it could load the space station bit when you docked and the space bit when you launched :) (No I don't have a 'thing' about elite ;))

Then there was 'The Sentinel' - 10,000 levels - all generated fractally from a seed number.

Yup - sure are some clever ways to fit stuff into small files.

Chris
15-04-2004, 12:32
What's even more clever with elite is that because the game used a mixed mode display (bottom mode 1 and top mode 0) the actual game was squeezed into something silly like 9k. Which is also why the disc version had more ships - because it could load the space station bit when you docked and the space bit when you launched :) (No I don't have a 'thing' about elite ;))

Then there was 'The Sentinel' - 10,000 levels - all generated fractally from a seed number.

Yup - sure are some clever ways to fit stuff into small files.
Mixed mode screens? I didn't know the BBC could do that!

dilli-theclaw
15-04-2004, 12:35
Mixed mode screens? I didn't know the BBC could do that!
Oh yes indeed - a good hack when you wanted some colour AND a reasonably high res picture on screen ;)

Defiant
15-04-2004, 12:42
Just tried it on my machine and well yep its impressive for 100kb alright.

Hmm anyone thought of passing this info onto M$ and Linux lol

Jerrek
15-04-2004, 16:06
You really can't generate an operating system with fractuals and seeds.

Bifta
15-04-2004, 16:09

What about fractals? ;)

Chris
15-04-2004, 16:11
Nope, but windows was invented by the man who once said could see no reason why a computer should need more than 640k of RAM. :)

I think Defiant's point was more generally intended to say creators of OSes should make them as lean and mean as possible rather than inefficient and bloated.

dr wadd
15-04-2004, 18:16

I'd like to see the mathematical proof for that. I`m not arguing that you are wrong, but you know how maths has a strange way of coming up with unexpected results. After all, there is a prime number than when saved as a hexadecimal creates a file that just happens to be a GZIP archive of a DECSS implementation.

At the end of the day, executable code is effectively just a very big binary number, so if you can come up with a routine of sufficient complexity that is still shorter than the executable code then theoretically you could build an OS from a relatively small seed number. Of course, if you could come up with the formula you'd pretty much be guaranteed to be the smartest person who ever lived.

Richard M
15-04-2004, 18:56
Pretty impressive, the frame rate dropped sometimes on my XP 3200/Radeon 9600XT but it was good though.
Here's a screen:

paulyoung666
21-04-2004, 17:15
ok , what am i doing wrong :confused: , i dl'ed it , extracted it and nothing happened :confused:

dilli-theclaw
21-04-2004, 17:18
ok , what am i doing wrong :confused: , i dl'ed it , extracted it and nothing happened :confused:
Does your graphics card support it?

only my main system runs it - none of the other computers in the house do...

Just a thought.

paulyoung666
21-04-2004, 17:21
Does your graphics card support it?

only my main system runs it - none of the other computers in the house do...

Just a thought.

ahhh now that is a good point :tu: , but would it stop me from even trying to get it to run though :confused:

dr wadd
21-04-2004, 17:24
ahhh now that is a good point :tu: , but would it stop me from even trying to get it to run though :confused:

Do you have the latest version of DirectX installed on your computer? It wouldn`t run at first on my office machine until I released that it still had DX8 on it.

dilli-theclaw
21-04-2004, 17:25
Well on the ones that don't work - it starts to run. Ie you grt a white box on a black screen that looks like it's decompressing something then it just goes back to the desktop.

paulyoung666
21-04-2004, 17:34
it dont do nothing at all , i might dl it again and see what happens :)

Richard M
21-04-2004, 17:38
You need a DirectX 9 compliant video card, not just DirectX 9 "compatible".
It needs pixelshader support. :)

paulyoung666
21-04-2004, 17:40
You need a DirectX 8.1 compliant video card, not just DirectX 8.1 "compatible".
It needs pixelshader support. :)

ok , but ........ , why doesnt anything happen at all , like the computer telling me to **** off and go and upgrade me , that is what i cant understand :confused:

Richard M
21-04-2004, 17:53
What's your specs?

paulyoung666
21-04-2004, 17:58
What's your specs?

nowhere near good enough when i look properly , i am just curious about the fact that it wont even attempt to run :confused:

dilli-theclaw
21-04-2004, 18:05
nowhere near good enough when i look properly , i am just curious about the fact that it wont even attempt to run :confused:
Maybe it's some kind of weird test to see if you can suss it out without help ;) :Peaceman: