PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake Linux install trouble

timewarrior2001
16-07-2003, 13:20
I was recommended ot try SuSe linux, I couldnt get it to download so switched my attention to Mandrake.

I have the Mandrake file
Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586 downloaded from the mandrake website. I burnt the files to CD. Now when I try and install (with the aid of a bootdisk) it tells me the CD doesnt seem to be a mandrake install CD.
Does anyone know what I have done wrong?

danielf
16-07-2003, 13:30
Originally posted by timewarrior2001
I was recommended ot try SuSe linux, I couldnt get it to download so switched my attention to Mandrake.

I have the Mandrake file
Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586 downloaded from the mandrake website. I burnt the files to CD. Now when I try and install (with the aid of a bootdisk) it tells me the CD doesnt seem to be a mandrake install CD.
Does anyone know what I have done wrong?

Maybe the file got corrupted. As I recall, the ISOs come with a checksum which you can use to check the file integrity.

timewarrior2001
16-07-2003, 19:30
Nope everything is fine, no corruption.

danielf
16-07-2003, 20:04
In that case, I'm afraid your gues is as good as mine. I think however, that there are some distros that run off cd, i.e. you don't have to do a full install. I think Knoppix is one of them (not a Linux man myelf though). If you just want to give Linux a try, that might be the easiest option.

Tricky
16-07-2003, 23:15
Did you download the ISO's? If so AFAIK the CD should boot of its own accord (change your BIOS to suit this!)
What about CD volume labels?
I downloaded it from a site following links from the REDHAT mirrors then amending the location and didn't have any issues.

nogger
17-07-2003, 12:29
What files can you see on the CD when you view it in Explorer?

If you just stick the CD in the drive, under Windows, does it autorun and give you a nice menu of options?

Have you actually burnt the image to the CD or just got a copy of Mandrake91-cd1-inst.i586.iso on there?

Sorry if these are silly questions but we need answers. :)

timewarrior2001
17-07-2003, 13:26
I extracted the contents of the file I donwloaded onto the CD. This was labeeled the ISO on the mandrake website.
It autoboots in Windows, but not when I re-boot the machine.
Some of you may remember my scathing comments of Linux in the thread where I was arguing with BenH. I couldnt get Mandrake 7 to install either but it went further than this lol.

danielf
17-07-2003, 14:28
I extracted the contents of the file I donwloaded onto the CD. This was labeeled the ISO on the mandrake website.
Some of you may remember my scathing comments of Linux in the thread where I was arguing with BenH. I couldnt get Mandrake 7 to install either but it went further than this lol.

I wasn't going to comment on that, but since you brought it up: it is quite ironic isn't it ;)

Bifta
17-07-2003, 14:34

Just extracting the ISO to the CD won't create the Mandrake CD image, you actually have to burn the CD image from the ISO, example :

http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

timewarrior2001
17-07-2003, 14:49
Yes yes, i know how to burn an ISO image, unfortunately it seems I managed to get a and ISO zip file that doesnt contain an ISO image. Theres a folder called "Linux ISO" but the largest file in here is 2Mb.

timewarrior2001
17-07-2003, 14:54
*gives his head a shake*
Seems what I have done is not read the file names properly and I didnt actually download the ISO.
Theres two versions, one is an ISO one is a zipped file of the folders and files that would be on the CD.
Guess which I downloaded?

Many thanks for the replies, hopefully I can soon experience the latest Linux and maybe change my attitude towards it.

double_c
17-07-2003, 23:07
Give me a shout if you have any questions about using it or run into any trouble. Email below (remove NOSPAM).

c.c.williams@ntlworld.NOSPAM.com