PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way that I can automatically delete incoming messages?

NormCash
13-04-2004, 17:43
Some months ago, I asked for some help in finding an easy way to clear my primary email address of messages.

Like many others here, I found myself inundated with spam, so much so that I finally gave up on that email address and started using a new secondary one. Thanks to the fact that I'm now much more educated when it comes to how, when and to who I distribute my address, I'm glad to say that I no longer suffer the problem on my new address.

Unfortunately, I'm still having a major problem on my primary address - over 300 spam messages per day, all of which need to be deleted on a daily basis. I get around this in the way that was suggested to me on this very forum. I have broadband, and use Microsoft Outlook as my main email reader. I also have Outlook Express on my computer, which I've set up purely to pull in and automatically delete all emails on my primary account. Ideally, I'd like to simply delete this email address from my account, but as it is my primary one, I'm told that that is not possible. :(

Next week, I'm heading over to the States for a well earned 4 week holiday, but I'm left with something of a dilemma. I need some sort of automated method of deleting messages sent to my primary email address in order that my mailbox space does not fill up, therefore potentially preventing valid messages from reaching my good secondary address.

For the first 2 weeks of my visit Stateside, I'll have access to a relative's computer, but I really want to avoid the hassle of going on to NTLWorld's Web Mail page and deleting out pages and pages of shiat by hand (I'm sure most of you appreciate how long THAT takes!). For the last 2 weeks, I'm not sure when, if at all, I'll be able to access my account.

One thing that I've wondered is, do messages in NTLWorld's "Trash" folder count towards one's allowable space? I know that trashed messages in Yahoo Mail don't. If not, is there some sort of way that I can automatically redirect incoming messages to "Trash" rather than to "Inbox"?

There is one final question that I have that may make this whole email moot. Is an amount of storage space allocated to each email address in one's account separately, or does each user have "x" amount of total space spread across the whole account? (Does that make sense?). If the former is the answer, then I really don't need to worry about the junk coming in to that address accummulating.

Any suggestions on how I might solve this problem would be very welcome (but bear in mind that I'm not overly conversant with somewhat technical jargon or solutions).

Sorry about the long-winded nature of this post! :o

GazzaB
13-04-2004, 18:00
Hi NormCash,
All this hastle could be prevented by changing or removing the primary e-mail address then all spam messages etc will bounce, unless there is a particular reason why you need to keep the primary account active of course????
You can do this from ntlworld.com website and the your account section on right hand side of page... from there click on change/modify user id or password.

Hope this helps

NormCash
13-04-2004, 20:27
GazzaB

Thanks for the suggestion, but before I go and do something stupid, let's see if I've got this straight.

(Email addresses have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent)

When I first signed up to NTL, my user name was bob.builder, therefore my primary email address was (bob.builder@ntlworld.com). After a while, this email address got swamped by spam, so I created a secondary address within the same account called, say, (builder.12345@ntlworld.com).

If I use the NTLWorld option to change my user name from bob.builder to canwe.buildit, am I correct in saying that this would change my primary email address to (canwe.buildit@ntlworld.com), but leave my secondary address (builder.12345@ntlworld.com) unchanged?

If this is correct, I think my problem may be solved!

Apologies to anyone out there who may actually use these email addresses!

zuke_duke
15-04-2004, 09:42
I use this brilliant and free PopTray email checker http://www.poptray.org/

It allows rules and preferences on a per account basis. I drain off everything in my primary heavily spammed mailbox a couple of times a day without ever seeing it, using a filter that will select everything. Other accounts are checked more regularly and don't use the rule, obviously, unless you don't ever want any more e-mail!

peachey
15-04-2004, 10:28
GazzaB

Thanks for the suggestion, but before I go and do something stupid, let's see if I've got this straight.

When I first signed up to NTL, my user name was bob.builder, therefore my primary email address was (bob.builder@ntlworld.com). After a while, this email address got swamped by spam, so I created a secondary address within the same account called, say, (builder.12345@ntlworld.com).

If I use the NTLWorld option to change my user name from bob.builder to canwe.buildit, am I correct in saying that this would change my primary email address to (canwe.buildit@ntlworld.com), but leave my secondary address (builder.12345@ntlworld.com) unchanged?

the primary adderss you were allocated (username)
cannot be changed - but you are not obliged to use it

you have 15 mail boxes including this primary one
each mailbox has 10 meg of its own space

if you find using webmail a pain

why not set up your e-mail addres on your relatives computer - additional account in her e-mail client
then delete it when you leave?

Neil
15-04-2004, 11:04
each mailbox has 10 meg of its own space

I don't think that's right actually-I think the whole mailbox is allocated 10 meg, whether you use 1 email address, or 15.

I don't think ntl are going to give people 150 meg of mail server space each somehow.

peachey
15-04-2004, 11:32
I don't think that's right actually-I think the whole mailbox is allocated 10 meg, whether you use 1 email address, or 15.

I don't think ntl are going to give people 150 meg of mail server space each somehow.

will double check that for you then!
#
edit:

yeah - definate

150 meg for a cmr account
10 meg for each mailbox

GazzaB
15-04-2004, 13:40
GazzaB

Thats correct! Any problems let me know!

progers
18-04-2004, 23:32
Some months ago, I asked for some help in finding an easy way to clear my primary email address of messages.

Like many others here, I found myself inundated with spam, so much so that I finally gave up on that email address and started using a new secondary one. Thanks to the fact that I'm now much more educated when it comes to how, when and to who I distribute my address, I'm glad to say that I no longer suffer the problem on my new address.:o
I use InBoxer (www.inboxer.com (http://www.inboxer.com/)) with Outlook 2000. It integrates seamlessly into Outlook with a toolbar and two new folders. After a short period of learning, it files all definite SPAM (approx 125 per day for me) in a special folder (InBoxer-blocked) and the accuracy for me is 100% so I can confidently delete all mail in this folder. Ones it isn't sure about (approx 9 per day for me) are placed in a review folder and obviously need manual attention.