PDA

View Full Version : What is allowed on ntl webspace?

Plonking
13-04-2004, 14:03
Hey all,

This is just a quick quesiton. I have my own website running on my ntl webspace that they give you when you sign up for an account. I was wondering - what kind of funky scripting type stuff can I use on it? Can I use PHP, for example? If I can't use that, what can I use ? I am aware that most ISPs don't let you use fun scripting-type and cgi stuff, because of the security issues and problems that can occur, but I thought I would check to make sure.

Thanks,

P

MovedGoalPosts
13-04-2004, 14:07
The ntl webspace is quite basic. Certainly no PHP, databases or anything along those lines.

If you want to do anything worthwhile with web, get a proper hosted site.

Neil
13-04-2004, 14:10
Hey all,

This is just a quick quesiton. I have my own website running on my ntl webspace that they give you when you sign up for an account. I was wondering - what kind of funky scripting type stuff can I use on it? Can I use PHP, for example? If I can't use that, what can I use ? I am aware that most ISPs don't let you use fun scripting-type and cgi stuff, because of the security issues and problems that can occur, but I thought I would check to make sure.

Thanks,

P

Next to nothing I'm afraid. :(

Stuartbe
13-04-2004, 14:14
You can upload a file to it and ......erm.... upload a file to it :)

Nemesis
13-04-2004, 14:18
Now that's a bit unfair Stu ....

You can download the file too :D

Stuartbe
13-04-2004, 14:19
:LOL: and delete it :D

MovedGoalPosts
13-04-2004, 14:21
No ntl will probably do that for you without your asking :D

Neil
13-04-2004, 14:58

If it then accepts your password.......:angel:

zoombini
13-04-2004, 15:29
Er... deleting files is only allowed at specific times & on specific days.
NTL are not allowed to tell you when these are & hence deletion is a matter of hit & miss.

You are of course allowed that wonderful scripting language HTML.

It is reccomended that you make your webpages in MS Word, MS Frontpage or another equally crappy program. Decent quality web pages are not allowed on NTL webspace, it detracts from the value of the server space :D

Are NTL ever going to alllow something better?

andygrif
13-04-2004, 15:48
It is about time they did. Many ISPs now have basic server options as part of their 'free' allowance for customers. This enables you to run CGI and PHP and some even provide a MySQL database for free too. So it's worth shopping around.

Maggy
13-04-2004, 16:11
Well I'm happy with my NTL webspace but then I'm not into fancy stuff anyway.Depends on what you want a webspace for and what your skills are.

Anyway where would you choose to get your site hosted?

Plonking
13-04-2004, 16:13
Hey guys,

Thanks for the speedy replies! I hadn't been able to find anything useful of NTL's pages about this, and I'm glad you have filled me in.

About deleting stuff: thanks for mentioning it! I was trying to delete something the other day, and it wouldn't let me! It was insane: I had no idea what the hell was going on, but now it makes more sense :) I tried using two different pcs to no avail, and eventually concluded it was a server oddity, so I'm glad you have enlightened me!

I'm using some Javascript-type rollovers on my site as well, and they seem to be really slow to swap between images.. it has a habit of going a bit mad, claiming the image link is broken, and then working again! If I were to get some proper hosting, would this work properly do you think?

P

Plonking
13-04-2004, 16:20
Oops I just saw that Ingonitas had replied whilst I was typing my own reply to the other messages...

At the moment, we have a cloaked domain registered at simply which points to my ntl webspace. 1 and 1 seem to be a bit cheaper than simply, but I'd probably have a real good shop around before making a definite decision.

Unfortunately I'm really poor at the moment (my student loan having run out!) so I will have to wait til summer when I have a job to actually buy some proper hosting and create a more powerful and dynamic website. I've recently updated mine, and doing stuff by HTML takes an eternity when you have loads of pages! I've been using various sites to learn php, and I hope that my next update can use that (and that it will be much easier to do!)

If you are interested in seeing the site, hop on over to www.psychwire.co.uk (http://www.psychwire.co.uk)

P

Maggy
13-04-2004, 16:26
Looks interesting!!

Incog.:)

aliferste
13-04-2004, 16:28
You coul dget your site hosted from i web for about a tenner a year!
Well worth it!!

http://www.i-websolutions.co.uk/nthwwhosting.html

MadGamer
13-04-2004, 16:29
Well I'm happy with my NTL webspace but then I'm not into fancy stuff anyway.Depends on what you want a webspace for and what your skills are.

Anyway where would you choose to get your site hosted? He would probably go with err let me think...... I Web perhaps? :D

Maggy
13-04-2004, 16:31
See I'm clever that way! I give you all an opportunity to chime in and say what you use?;)

Plonking
13-04-2004, 16:39
haha very cunning.. yeah that I-web thing seems cool.. wish I had known about it before!! :)

Is there anything you guys should warn me about I-web... or is it really as good as it looks :P

Thanks incog for letting me chime in as well, twas very kind of ya ;)

Nemesis
13-04-2004, 16:42
Is there anything you guys should warn me about I-web... or is it really as good as it looks :P

Thanks incog for letting me chime in as well, twas very kind of ya ;)Take a look at the bottom of the page .... This site is hosted by I-web :D

Make sure you mention you are a member ...

This is the link you need to follow:
http://i-websolutions.co.uk/nthwwhosting.html

Mick
13-04-2004, 16:44
Moved to - 'Email & Webspace Discussion' :)

Plonking
13-04-2004, 17:00
Hey cheers,

Sorry I guess i did put this in the wrong place ! :dunce:

Thanks also for showing me the light! I think i will make the blindingly best choice and go for I-web. When I have some damn money, that is! :D

...which shouldn't be too far away, if all goes well!

thanks again, y'all

Emperordalek
13-04-2004, 18:14
I find my webspace is fine for my site. I only have basic skills with regards to web programming so I only use frontpage.

I suppose it depends on what you want to do.

Steve H
13-04-2004, 18:48
If ISP's were to offer more facilities with regards to web hosting.. where would that leave actual webhosts?

NTL, and any other ISP for that matter provide internet for you, they dont proclaim to be a webhost, and do this as an added extra.

Plonking
13-04-2004, 20:49
Steve has a good point: to be fair, it is useful to have some webspace for free with my ISP. It's good at encuoraing 'amateurs' such as myself to get into the whole web design thing: I would never have got to the stage where I was ready to have proper hosting if it wasn't for the free space I had been given all those years ago. It's like learning to ride with stabilisers - you can have some fun, but can't do anything too deadly or drastic because, quite simply, you're not ready for it.

When you are ready, you can always upgrade. That's been my experience at least.

There is also the fact that, when trying to project a more 'professional' image, it does look a bit 'unprofessional' to have stuff on your personal account webspace. I hate to sound like a sell-out, but having your own domain name and having all your files stored on it gives you that extra bit of 'professionalism' - its like playing in the playground with all the big kids :)

P

Matth
14-04-2004, 21:47
If you don't mind running it through an 0845 dialup, take a look at this http://www.freeola.net/
Freeola is the ISP associated with the "Special Reserve" computer stores.

An embarrasment of riches, from hosting that only costs the price of a dialup.
- FREE unlimited web space
- FREE PHP, CGI & SSI scripting
- FREE web site promotion
- FREE use of Freeola1000 (http://freeola1000.com/) addresses
- ZERO popups, ads or frames
- OPTIONAL MySQL database

And you can put a ".co.uk" ".org.uk" or ".me.uk" domain name onto it - £15.99 for 2 years - other domains available, but dearer.

Plonking
18-04-2004, 12:20
Hey, thanks Matth...

I'll have a look into that one as well :) It might be a bit tough cos my PC is nowhere near my phone, lol! It is really hard to choose the *best* option... and to even find out what kind of stuff is out there!

P

Matth
18-04-2004, 23:28
Just looked at I-Web, and if those NTHW packages also include cf.members, then they're a hell of a deal 99p a month for 100Mb / 2Gb traffic and one SQL database - not bad!

It would probably cost that much in dialups to freeola!

therock247uk
19-04-2004, 17:50
On my ntl web space i got a few folders that i cant delete when i try to it says file excists. any ideas? there is nothing in the folder btw even with all files show including hidden ones.

Flubflow
20-04-2004, 11:12
haha very cunning.. yeah that I-web thing seems cool.. wish I had known about it before!! :)

Thanks incog for letting me chime in as well, twas very kind of ya ;)

I just signed up with the I-Web deal (starter package) on reccommendation from the people here. I also bought a domain name. Can't fault them so far.
They operate a proper support ticket system and whilst I was setting up they helped me out very quickly.
You may be able to scrape around the intenet and perhaps find slightly better deals or features but one of the most important things is that their servers must be reliable and fast. If they do go down then you need good support especially if you are running a business site.

Sneck
28-04-2004, 12:15
The NTL webspace is the best thing out of the whole service. You cant set up forums or anything too complicated but if you want to do that you would want some 'proper' space anyway.

For a nice place to keep photos or files it is perfect. I have made a nice little homepage with all the links I need on it and sections for my pics/avatars etc for easy access.

I started by using HTMl, but soon got bored with that, and have been making some effort in learning to create Flash websites, a perfect way to use your NTL space.

Plonking
28-04-2004, 14:48
On my ntl web space i got a few folders that i cant delete when i try to it says file excists. any ideas? there is nothing in the folder btw even with all files show including hidden ones.
I read somewhere else on this forum that ntl randomly mess up, so you can't delete files from your homepage webspace. i've had the same problem.. always seems to happen when you don't want it to!

This was one of the reasons i went to i-web for proper hosting, and because i wanted to do more advanced stuff (re-vamping a site every now and then is a helluva chore in html). If you try again later you will probably be able to delete those pesky files!

P

Plonking
28-04-2004, 14:55
I just signed up with the I-Web deal (starter package) on reccommendation from the people here. I also bought a domain name. Can't fault them so far.
They operate a proper support ticket system and whilst I was setting up they helped me out very quickly.
You may be able to scrape around the intenet and perhaps find slightly better deals or features but one of the most important things is that their servers must be reliable and fast. If they do go down then you need good support especially if you are running a business site.
Agreed.. I-web rock! I bugged them about loads of stuff, and they were helpful all the time (and very quickly as well). I had paid for my space with PayPal and it took a couple of days to go thru.. I have no idea why, but its all sorted now.

When I was trying to work out what had happened with the payment (I had been emailed a receipt but PP hadn't taken the money out of the account), it was frustrating because, for once, I actually thought a company genuinely deserved the money I was giving them - the deals are brilliant and they are a cool bunch of people, and I hope they go on to take over the world! lol!

P

KingPhoenix
28-04-2004, 15:37
<snip> and I hope they go on to take over the world! lol!

What do you mean go on to take over the world, have you not seen the Matrix?? ;) :pp

Plonking
28-04-2004, 15:59
What do you mean go on to take over the world, have you not seen the Matrix?? ;) :pp
Ok, so I mean taking over THIS world, as well as the outside 'real' world as well! :Yikes:

I suppose I should start talking about there being more than one person using your account, Mr. KingPhoenix (if that IS your real name) - but of course, in the style of Agent Smith, you may have just taken over other people on the board and so now are getting them to work for you! and OMG I bet I'm next!!!

*runs to the nearest telephone line to escape*