PDA

View Full Version : How Stupid????????

idi banashapan
12-04-2004, 19:30
How stupid is the NTL website???? The story - My missus has forgotten her ntlworld password to get her pop3 email through Outlook (I rebuilt my machine yesterday) Ok, so she should remember it, but we are all human. So I go to the ntl website and click on the 'forgotten your password?' bit - first thing it does is ask for your email address (assume this is for part verification of the account you wish details of). Next thing you know, there is a message saying 'you account password has been sent to your email address'.

HELLO - I CAN'T USE THAT COZ I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PASSWORD IS!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS WHY I WENT TO THE WEBSITE TO RETRIEVE IT!!!!!

OMG!!! Are the people at ntl REALLY that stupid?????????????

paulyoung666
12-04-2004, 19:33
its already been done on here somewhere my mate , i agree though , total stupidity :(

idi banashapan
12-04-2004, 19:36
has it??? sorry about that!! all the same - how cr*p is that???? complete lack of common sense me thinks!

someone actually sat there and went:

'How shall we tell people who have forgotten their email password what their password is?? Oh, I know -send it to their email address!!! What a great idea!!!!'

Charlie_Bubble
12-04-2004, 19:37
Is her email your primary email address?

Charlie_Bubble
12-04-2004, 19:37
I wrote a long reply to your other post then the mod closed it and I lost the damn thing! Grrr

Bifta
12-04-2004, 19:38
has it??? sorry about that!! all the same - how cr*p is that???? complete lack of common sense me thinks!

someone actually sat there and went:

'How shall we tell people who have forgotten their email password what their password is?? Oh, I know -send it to their email address!!! What a great idea!!!!'

I think you're jumping the gun a bit by calling NTL stupid, in the past I've used the option to send me my password via email so I can set up my NTL email address up in a different client, so yes, I found it to be a great idea. I'm guessing the stupid one is the person who didn't see fit to keep their password safe hmm?

idi banashapan
12-04-2004, 19:38
no - so I did it with mine, but i only gave me mine!!!!

Charlie_Bubble
12-04-2004, 19:39
Ok, go here:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/customerServices/emailOptions.html

Choose to add an email box. Then when you've put your details in you should get the option to modify all your secondary email accounts. You can then either get her password or put a new one in. Well, I think you can if memory serves me correctly. :)

idi banashapan
12-04-2004, 19:41
I think you're jumping the gun a bit by calling NTL stupid, in the past I've used the option to send me my password via email so I can set up my NTL email address up in a different client, so yes, I found it to be a great idea. I'm guessing the stupid one is the person who didn't see fit to keep their password safe hmm?

like i said - yes, she should have remembered it, but we are all human. I haven't rebuild my machine for about 8 months and her password is kept on the system, so she didn't need to remember it. blame microsoft if anyone for that. But come on - in all honesty, you must see how rediculous ntl's website is for that. I work in IT support, so I deal with this stuff every day and have NEVER come across something so silly.

idi banashapan
12-04-2004, 19:42
Ok, go here:

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/customerServices/emailOptions.html

Choose to add an email box. Then when you've put your details in you should get the option to modify all your secondary email accounts. You can then either get her password or put a new one in. Well, I think you can if memory serves me correctly. :)

you're a star - nice one!!!!!

Charlie_Bubble
12-04-2004, 19:47
you're a star - nice one!!!!!

No problem! :)

Bifta
12-04-2004, 19:50
like i said - yes, she should have remembered it, but we are all human. I haven't rebuild my machine for about 8 months and her password is kept on the system, so she didn't need to remember it. blame microsoft if anyone for that. But come on - in all honesty, you must see how rediculous ntl's website is for that. I work in IT support, so I deal with this stuff every day and have NEVER come across something so silly.

No, like I said, I've found it useful, if I forget my password and I still have the email account set up or if I want to move it to a new client then it's dead handy.

idi banashapan
12-04-2004, 19:54
No, like I said, I've found it useful, if I forget my password and I still have the email account set up or if I want to move it to a new client then it's dead handy.

you just dissed my missus for forgetting her password, now you're saying that when YOU forget yours, it's handy!?!?!?!?!? proving the point about the human bit! and as I only have the one machine at home, I don't get the option to set up the account on several clients, plus, my other half knows as much about computers as I do about her nursing!!! It's not her fault, she just isn't interested....

Paul
12-04-2004, 20:18
So you, or your misses, forget your password and somehow that's ntl's fault - and they are stupid for providing a forgotten password option that some people find useful. :erm:

paulyoung666
12-04-2004, 20:39
good grief , war again , pick your toys up and play nicely :D :D :D :D

abailey152
12-04-2004, 21:03
Yes, I think a call to NTL CS should sort it out! So play nicely! :D

jtwn
12-04-2004, 21:08
I have got the same problem from a few days ago after a reformat of my hard drive. I was pretty ****ed off to be told it was sent to the address that i just wanted to find out..but the laughter took over.

And that modify thing, it doesnt work for me,it just takes me to modifying on of my addresses with whichever one i try to modify.

And 3 days later :rolleyes: Im told i have to phone them due the data protection act (understandable) by the email tech team.

Paul
12-04-2004, 21:10
Yes, I think a call to NTL CS should sort it out! So play nicely! :D

I think he has already sorted it via the options page. :)

idi banashapan
12-04-2004, 21:39
I think he has already sorted it via the options page. :)

Indeed I have. I was merely pointing out my humble opinion that the setup for password retrieval on the ntl website seems a little odd considering you need the password to get to your email and the option to get your password is displayed as such:

'If you have forgotten your password click here.'

perhaps something simple like changing the above line to somthing like:

'forward your account details to your email address'

Or something of the sort.

and at no stage was I blaming ntl for the fact the password was forgotten. that can only be the users fault, in this particular case, my other half. I'm not here to make war with anyone, I was only pointing out that I thought.... Oh, well read my posts... take it however you want. at least some people are helpful around here and can read properly without getting all tetchy about freedom of speech!!!! (meow, meow!!!!! :) )

try it yourself, see what you think. Tell me if this is useful if you actually have forgotten your password and cannot get into your account. imagine if it was the primary account you had forgotten your password to for whatever reason, because then you couldn't even get into the 'change details' page as you don't know the password. yes, forgetting it would be a silly thing to do, but like I keep saying, we are all human (and no, I didn't forget the password to the primary account so it's all sorted now):

http://www.ntlworld.com/help/customerServices/yourPassword.html

Paul
12-04-2004, 21:49
..... (meow, meow!!!!! :) )

You've been looking at those kitten threads haven't you ;) I think maybe the way you posted it made people a bit tetchy - using capitals (considered to be shouting) and loads of exclamation marks. Glad you got it all sorted anyway. :D

idi banashapan
12-04-2004, 21:52
You've been looking at those kitten threads haven't you :D

I think maybe the way you posted it made people a bit tetchy - using capitals (considered to be shouting) and loads of exclamation marks. Glad you got it all sorted anyway. :D

The capitals and exclamation marks were a mark of sheer disbelief at what I was experiencing! They were meant to stand out! Point taken though. It's beyond me the thought process behind it. I suppose it's because I have experience of setting up this sort of thing for multi-national companies that it shocked me how silly it was. but then, thinking about it, it is only common sense, you don't need TDA knowledge to see that do you?

shin0r
13-04-2004, 13:51
How stupid is the NTL website???? The story - My missus has forgotten her ntlworld password to get her pop3 email through Outlook (I rebuilt my machine yesterday) Ok, so she should remember it, but we are all human. So I go to the ntl website and click on the 'forgotten your password?' bit - first thing it does is ask for your email address (assume this is for part verification of the account you wish details of). Next thing you know, there is a message saying 'you account password has been sent to your email address'.

HELLO - I CAN'T USE THAT COZ I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PASSWORD IS!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS WHY I WENT TO THE WEBSITE TO RETRIEVE IT!!!!!

OMG!!! Are the people at ntl REALLY that stupid?????????????

Er, so what's the alternative? If the page displayed your password, what's to stop the following happening?

1: I wish to know your password
2: I go to the site, enter your username and ask for the password
3: The site displays your password to me.

I can't think of *one* provider that doesn't follow the same approach to this as ntl do. (Don't forget that your account u/p are the same as your primary mail u/p in most cases).

Some might let you reset your password online (but then you'd have to remember a passphrase/secret code in order to do this). Perhaps a "reset password" option would be a good idea on this page too.

You can always phone tech support to get your mail password.