PDA

View Full Version : Norton or McAfee?

Mal
15-07-2003, 20:58
Just installed XP on my computer today and Norton Antivirus is.... not working the way it should, to put it mildly. Uninstalled it 5 times.

So is the McAfee antivirus & firewall any better?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, could you only vote if you've used both please.

Ta!

darkangel
15-07-2003, 21:04
i use nav 2003 and sygate firewall pro, which version of nav are u using and what problems are u haveing?
are u talking about norton security or nav on it's own?

Mal
15-07-2003, 21:08
NAV 2002 and it states that I'm not subscribed, which is cr@p because I am. It worked fine on windows ME, just when I put XP on. It'll still scan, but it won't get any virus updates. It also gives me a warning every hour to tell me to uninstall it, which is VERY annoying.

homealone
15-07-2003, 21:14
I use McAfee & Zonealarm Pro, but not on xp, so thats probably not much use.:)

- but, the current PCFormat DVD covermount (July) has a full version of McAfee Security Suite on if you want to try it.

darkangel
15-07-2003, 21:16
Originally posted by Mal
NAV 2002 and it states that I'm not subscribed, which is cr@p because I am. It worked fine on windows ME, just when I put XP on. It'll still scan, but it won't get any virus updates. It also gives me a warning every hour to tell me to uninstall it, which is VERY annoying. when did u buy the software? sounds like it's not a problem with xp.

darkangel
15-07-2003, 21:17
Originally posted by homealone
I use McAfee & Zonealarm Pro, but not on xp, so thats probably not much use.:)

- but, the current PCFormat DVD covermount (July) has a full version of McAfee Security Suite on if you want to try it. how are u using mcafee without the fw?

Mal
15-07-2003, 21:20
Originally posted by darkangel
when did u buy the software? sounds like it's not a problem with xp. 2001, but it's supposed to run okay on xp, it has xp on the box & instructions.

homealone
15-07-2003, 21:26
how are u using mcafee without the fw?

it was a download purchase, only version 6 & it didn't include the firewall. I've "obtained" the firewall software, but never tried it because I havn't had any problems with ZoneAlarm Pro.

I did have to buy a new year of updates, recently, though and I'm wondering if that is what's wrong with Mal's install - might need to update the subscription?

Mal
15-07-2003, 21:28
I did have to buy a new year of updates, recently, though and I'm wondering if that is what's wrong with Mal's install - might need to update the subscription?
I've got till November 2003 on this subscription.

homealone
15-07-2003, 21:34
Originally posted by Mal
I've got till November 2003 on this subscription.

Sorry wasn't implying anything :), I did wonder, though, if installing xp reset your registry & the subscription info got wiped?

darkangel
15-07-2003, 21:46
did u renew the sub, normally they only last a year.

Mal
15-07-2003, 21:50
Sorry wasn't implying anything :), I did wonder, though, if installing xp reset your registry & the subscription info got wiped?
I didn't notice anything to think you were implying anything :)

Have had to uninstall it a few times before and it seemed to get the subscription info when you used live update.

Oh well.

did u renew the sub, normally they only last a year.
Everythings fine. Like I said above, I 've un/reinstalled it a few times, due to other "problems" that it caused. But it's been fine.

Ramrod
15-07-2003, 23:07
Mcafee works for me:)

ignite
15-07-2003, 23:13
NAV 2002 is running fine with no problems on both my XP Pro and my Win 2K machine. I found that 2002 ran better than 2003 on the machines, and seemed to hog less resources. My subscription runs out next May on the XP box, so I don't know what to advise.

As far as Nav v McAfee goes, it has to be NAV all the time. NAV 2002 upwards scans all email as it comes and goes via Port 110 and 25 automatically, so there is no issues about not having the right settings in your email software. It even works with no config on a mailing list server that I run at work. McAfee on the other hand, only 2 months ago I had to sort out email viruses that had been on a machine for over 8 months and McAfee had not seen them. And yep, the defs were up to date.

Firewalls, funny how well a hardware router / firewall seems to work. A very big drop on attacks on my machines. Norton Firewall is the better of the two products acording to all of the reviews. Most say that McAfee just knocked out a firewall to compete with Norton.

matty4donna
15-07-2003, 23:19
Neither, i use NOD32 and BlackIce however i would probably go for McAfee as Norton is the biggest load of poo poo since i last wore a nappy :D And to think Norton used to be quite good! hehehe

Mal
15-07-2003, 23:40
My Norton firewall has just decided it's had enough.

Question, I just noticed that the xp firewall was enabled. Would that affect Norton?

Martin
15-07-2003, 23:54
I use Mcafee and Zonalarm.:) I have used Norton before but fancied a change, simple as that. Never had any trouble with mcafee.

Lord Nikon
16-07-2003, 00:47
I use Norton Systemworks and Sygate

to reset the sub details in norton (sneaky method)

Uninstall ALL Symantec products.. then

i) go through the registry deleting all entries for Symantec and / or Norton

ii) delete all symantec / norton folders under "Program Files"

Then reinstall for another 12 months free subscription, just remember to skip the registration process..

matty4donna
16-07-2003, 03:03
Originally posted by Lord Nikon
I use Norton Systemworks and Sygate

to reset the sub details in norton (sneaky method)

Uninstall ALL Symantec products.. then

i) go through the registry deleting all entries for Symantec and / or Norton

ii) delete all symantec / norton folders under "Program Files"

Then reinstall for another 12 months free subscription, just remember to skip the registration process.. Thats illegal!

Lord Nikon
16-07-2003, 06:04
if norton is messing up then it is sometimes necessary to purge all traces of it from the machine to reinstall the software...

this has the effect of making it a clean install and giving you a 12 mth subscription...

Much the same as reformatting and then reinstalling the s/w... which is NOT illegal, nor is it illegal to reinstall legitimate software and skip the registration process...

Defiant
16-07-2003, 07:50
Their is only one and thats Mcafee. Norton couldn't find a beer in a brewery

Peter
16-07-2003, 09:32
Originally posted by Defiant

Ha! Mcafee supplies one of poorer virus scanners on the market.
It has a poor history for detecting in-the-wild viruses.

Go with Norton AV which has a better track record when it comes to detecting viruses..

nevets
16-07-2003, 11:21
Originally posted by matty4donna
Neither, i use NOD32 and BlackIce however i would probably go for McAfee as Norton is the biggest load of poo poo since i last wore a nappy :D And to think Norton used to be quite good! hehehe May I ask if Nav used to be quite good, and you say Nav is the biggest load of poo poo since you last wore a nappy, how old are you? and how long is it since you last wore a nappy?

Defiant
16-07-2003, 11:50
Originally posted by Peter
Ha! Mcafee supplies one of poorer virus scanners on the market.
It has a poor history for detecting in-the-wild viruses.

Go with Norton AV which has a better track record when it comes to detecting viruses..

I know two die hard Norton fans like you. Well they were die hard until they got virus's. Their now back on the straight and narrow with Mcafee ;)

MikeyB
16-07-2003, 12:29
If I had to choose one of those, it would be McAfee.

We've tried all the big names here at work (and some of the smaller ones) and are now with McAfee.

I don't use either of them at home tho.

ignite
16-07-2003, 17:46
Originally posted by Mal
My Norton firewall has just decided it's had enough.

Question, I just noticed that the xp firewall was enabled. Would that affect Norton?

Yep, they would totally NOT work together. That will cause you major problems. Don't bother with the XP Firewall, as most people in reviews don't rate it at all.

Mal
16-07-2003, 20:19
Celebrate this time come on, lets celebrate now.... :D

:beer: :drunk:

Good old symantec technical support page came through for me! :) :D :) :D

Both antivirus & personal firewall work now properly! (Touch wood):D

Had to download the livereg & liveupdate files and then it was fine.

Happy days are here again........

:D :smokin:

homealone
16-07-2003, 20:24
nice one!

I think I'll join you in the celebration :drunk: :juggle: :beer:

Mal
16-07-2003, 20:35
nice one!

I think I'll join you in the celebration :drunk: :juggle: :beer:
Cheers :beer:

idi banashapan
16-07-2003, 22:32
if you want a decent antivirus with very low CPU time, AVG is great

MikeyB
16-07-2003, 22:59
AVG, thats what I use at home, along with Sygate Personal Firewall

basa
17-07-2003, 08:56
Originally posted by MikeyB
AVG, thats what I use at home, along with Sygate Personal Firewall

Snap !!!!!

(Along with Spybot, AdAware, SpywareBlaster............that should keep the b*stards out !!)

Defiant
17-07-2003, 10:05
Phew their must be loads of infected pc's around here going off this poll LOL

basa
17-07-2003, 10:37
Originally posted by Defiant

Strange that.......In the VB100 tests (here (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?nai.xml) and here (http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?symantec.xml)), McAfee scores 11 passes / 16 fails whilst Norton scores 20 passes / 6 fails ?? :D

Also you'd better not try and remove McAfee as, like a virus, it's hell removing all the traces it likes to leave to screw up your system !! :rolleyes:

allanprg
17-07-2003, 20:27
I use NAV 2003 and firewall. They both work very well on my machine. Nav 03 caught a virus last week and deleted it automaticly. Great.:wavey: :wavey: