PDA

View Full Version : ADSL on ntl:Freedom

Graham F
11-04-2004, 20:10
I have just had a very intresting conversation with someone and then we got onto talking about ntl ;)

They claim that ntl freedom are now planning to launch their ADSL product in the 3rd week of June, this comes from someone who's info is usually spot on, infact the same person who told me abt the 1meg increase back in Jan. So I have no reason to doubt the info.

It will only be a 512k offering to start with.

Also in the same conversation they talked abt 2meg for ntl:home customers but this is not expected till Dec/Jan :erm: :rolleyes: :shocked:

Paul
11-04-2004, 20:30
Hmm, the 2mb sounds interesting.

I wonder how the guildford trials of the "speed boosting" are going.

Mick
11-04-2004, 20:35
I have just had a very intresting conversation with someone and then we got onto talking about ntl ;)

They claim that ntl freedom are now planning to launch their ADSL product in the 3rd week of June, this comes from someone who's info is usually spot on, infact the same person who told me abt the 1meg increase back in Jan. So I have no reason to doubt the info.

It will only be a 512k offering to start with.

Also in the same conversation they talked abt 2meg for ntl:home customers but this is not expected till Dec/Jan :erm: :rolleyes: :shocked:You've just reminded me, I was looking at my firewall logs the other night and looked astonished when I saw one of the logged hosts names was an ntl one, but it was an unsual one, instead of saying the usual at the end 'broadband.ntl.com' it said 'adsl.ntl.com' I thought it was probably a spoofed hostname.

Graham F
11-04-2004, 20:37
they are trialing it in basingstoke for employees at the moment, well they were abt 4 weeks ago!

slimshady
11-04-2004, 20:40
You've just reminded me, I was looking at my firewall logs the other night and looked astonished when I saw one of the logged hosts names was an ntl one, but it was an unsual one, instead of saying the usual at the end 'broadband.ntl.com' it said 'adsl.ntl.com' I thought it was probably a spoofed hostname.

the host ont he adsl.ntl.com domain are all ntl: Business ADSL Customers,

ntl have most of the equipment they need already to launch an ntl: freedom ADSL product as they have the ntl Business ADSL product and the Virgin.net ADSL product already running across their network. Both I think both BT ADSL Level 3 Wholesale services.

stuey82
11-04-2004, 21:50
It would be wicked if they did launch such a service. Id defo sign over to ntl:freedom ADSL!

kronas
11-04-2004, 22:09
i wonder if it will be capped :D :D *runs away :D

Charlie_Bubble
11-04-2004, 22:34
Hmm, the 2mb sounds interesting.

I wonder how the guildford trials of the "speed boosting" are going.

It finished about 3 weeks ago.

Defiant
11-04-2004, 22:50
Hmm wonder if there going to price it to compete with the other ADSL providers out there like Bulldog and Pipex. Nah its NTL after all

Neil
12-04-2004, 00:13
It would be wicked if they did launch such a service. Id defo sign over to ntl:freedom ADSL!

Why??

Why would ntl launching a DSL product be 'wicked'?-Jeez they can't even satisfy customers with the products belonging to them, let alone a DSL product. :eek:

*Shudders*

Paul
12-04-2004, 00:30
I suppose the first questions are will they have the transparent caches on the ADSL, and will you be able to get a proper fixed IP ?

Neil
12-04-2004, 08:25
I suppose the first questions are will they have the transparent caches on the ADSL, and will you be able to get a proper fixed IP ?

Not to mention the cost.

themelon
13-04-2004, 17:16
Well if its priced at £24.99 it will be competatively priced with comparative products.

Im yet to experience an acceptable level of service below £20 a month. And Productslike AOL and BT Openworld etc are still priced +£27.99 a month.

ntl have a number of satisified customers on ntl cable broadband and on freedom so why not on ADSL. It has to be accepted ntl do have a considerable number of satified customers from their 1 million plus internet subscribers!

Bulldog £21.99
Pipex £23.44
Ntl ADSL? £24.99 (possible free equipment activation??!?)
BT £29.99
AOL £27.99

Not uncompetative in anyway!

Neil
13-04-2004, 17:34
Not uncompetative in anyway!

Apart from the service they 'offer' you mean?

And apart from the fact that none of those companies that you mentioned have customers that have to keep changing proxies constantly just to get a webpage you mean?

What about the fact that I have not received one spam email to my Pipex address since November?

What about if I ring Pipex (for whatever query) I get a tracking number for my issue (no hiding behind false names/promises like ntl)

ntl are far from competitive-they can't even get their own BB products right-I dread to think what will happen when they start offering a DSL package. :erm:

Get your own products mastered before you go branching out I think is the best advice here.

Chrysalis
13-04-2004, 19:19
Bulldog £21.99 - poor
Pipex £23.44 - good
Ntl ADSL? £24.99 (possible free equipment activation??!?) - poor
BT £29.99 - ok
AOL £27.99 - ok

price isnt everything and to be honest I wouldnt mind paying what I pay now or even more if I got more for my money.

static ip
no transperent proxies
email that arrives quicker then 2 days
no cap or higher cap

I would pay 39.99 for the above happily enough, but I seen low end 1mbit products for 29.99 and it wouldnt surprise me if they matched ntl's service.

Defiant
13-04-2004, 19:30
hmm if NTL ADSL were price at £24.99 and it had 256 upload like ALL the others it would be cheaper than BT but still not as cheap as most of the others out there. Would be better than there cable BB though

Graham F
13-04-2004, 19:39
I personally see ntl's ADSL product (when it comes) being bundled together with a freedom phone package, which will make it difficult to compare with ease. I don't think they will make it a product that can be taken alone to begin with!!

:shrug: who knows though only time will tell ;)

MadGamer
13-04-2004, 20:18
Bulldog £21.99 - poor
Pipex £23.44 - good
Ntl ADSL? £24.99 (possible free equipment activation??!?) - poor
BT £29.99 - ok
AOL £27.99 - ok

Demon £24.99 a month. I have had no problems with them. ;)

Defiant
13-04-2004, 20:31
I personally see ntl's ADSL product (when it comes) being bundled together with a freedom phone package, which will make it difficult to compare with ease. I don't think they will make it a product that can be taken alone to begin with!!

:shrug: who knows though only time will tell ;)
Do you really think they will bundle it when they moaning about the 1GB capp

themelon
14-04-2004, 13:02
With my Experience of BT Connect the business version of BT Broadband......I wouldnt touch any package from BT especially if it were £29.99 a month. I have had no problems with ntl and am not interested in a static IP which incidently hasnt changed in 2 years anyway. My experience

Bulldog £21.99 - NA
Pipex £23.44 - OK
Ntl- OK
BT £29.99 - ****e
AOL £27.99 - NA

As mentioned by another poster on the Forum Pipex are far from perfect......they are good in my dealings compared to BT Connect (useless)

I think ever consumer company in the UK needs to look at getting their services right not just ntl. I am still yet to experience what I class a quality service from anyone.
-BT
-SKY
-Many Large ISPs
-NTL

All those leave a lot to be desired in my opinion its choosing the lesser of the evils which is up to the individual. I can not really see how people can critise a product that hasnt been launched or say that ntl is making a mess of running their cable broadband service with 1 million customers 900000+ of whom have still yet to join this site!! Obviously the waiting list is long for this site!! They must somehow be doing something that catches the publics imagination where others arent whatever their faults.....and should be given credit for that.

I personally wouldnt have a home ADSL Product anyway certainally not 512k because i am yet to experince download speeds above 45k which is pitiful, obviously the contention ratios in this area are being maxed. At work im not impressed.......upload is faster which is nice, browsing seems slower in general. Also it disconnects randomly and can not reconnect, it has to dial up erguuhhhh and get a alleged speed of 576kbs which on closer inspection turns out nearer the 350kbs to 450kbs speed. Only way im changing is if I move to an area without cable

sherer
14-04-2004, 15:21
why are bulldog meant to be poor.. my brother is on them and reckons they are great... he get's something like 512 during the day and then 2 MB after 6 or 7 pm can't remember which.. basically when all the business user's are off the network the extra bandwidth is shared out ..