PDA

View Full Version : Blinkin' Ethernet?

Death Jester
09-04-2004, 14:13
The ethernet light on my modem has always blinked, and I know its a bit late (10 days from getting ADSL), but does everyones do that?

Because I thought that the light was supposed to show you that the lead is connected. If it blinks, does that mean the connection is intermittent?

Kind of a daft thing to ask after 1 year of service.

*hacking cough*
*Pukes up*
*goes to find Panadol*

David25
09-04-2004, 14:20
Blinking means there is data passing between the modem and the ethernet card. It's all good.

A solid light often (not always) means the NIC drivers need reinstalling.

Tezcatlipoca
09-04-2004, 15:17
The ethernet light on my modem has always blinked, and I know its a bit late (10 days from getting ADSL), but does everyones do that?

Because I thought that the light was supposed to show you that the lead is connected. If it blinks, does that mean the connection is intermittent?

Kind of a daft thing to ask after 1 year of service.

*hacking cough*
*Pukes up*
*goes to find Panadol*

By ethernet light, you definitely mean the light that indicates the PC & the modem are connected? (it's called the "PC" light on my Terayon modem).

I don't think that's meant to flash! It's always solid on my modem, indicating that the PC & modem are connected OK.
(and the cable light is also always solid, showing a connection to NTL)

Blinking means there is data passing between the modem and the ethernet card. It's all good.

A solid light often (not always) means the NIC drivers need reinstalling.

The Data light is meant to flash, but I think Death Jester is saying his PC-modem link light is flashing?

paulyoung666
09-04-2004, 16:06
By ethernet light, you definitely mean the light that indicates the PC & the modem are connected? (it's called the "PC" light on my Terayon modem).

I don't think that's meant to flash! It's always solid on my modem, indicating that the PC & modem are connected OK.
(and the cable light is also always solid, showing a connection to NTL)

The Data light is meant to flash, but I think Death Jester is saying his PC-modem link light is flashing?

i think you might be right , mind you a little bit of clarification on modem model might help :)

Death Jester
09-04-2004, 22:15
Its the silver model.

Sorry I cannot give any better info, but if I bend down to look at the modem, I will blow chunks.

It has 7 lights, and the one I am talkign is called ENET. Its the 3rd from the left.

Chris W
09-04-2004, 23:04
David25 is right... the enet light will flash when data is going back and forth. It will sometimes go solid when there is a lot of data transferring.

No need to worry about it, the usb light does the same thing if you are using that connection instead

Tezcatlipoca
10-04-2004, 01:11
Ah, cool :)

I'm used to the lights on my trusty Terry. So the ENET on the NTL modem indicates data transfer as well as an ethernet link? (whereas the Terayon has a light for the PC-modem link, & another light for data transfer)

Chris W
10-04-2004, 01:17
Ah, cool

I'm used to the lights on my trusty Terry. So the ENET on the NTL modem indicates data transfer as well as an ethernet link? (whereas the Terayon has a light for the PC-modem link, & another light for data transfer)

the ambit (ntl home 100/120/200) modems have 7 lights:
pwr- self explanatory
usb- indicating usb connection is present
enet- indicating enet connection is present
d/s- downsteam activity
u/s- upsteam activity
sync- downstream signal
rdy- upsteam signal (although this and sync might be the other way round, can't remember)

The enet and usb connection will flash with activity, i am not sure if they are designed to do this, but this is the way that they are :shrug:

Tezcatlipoca
10-04-2004, 01:22
Thanks for that :)

David25
10-04-2004, 11:15

On Terry the PC light should stay solid with the data light flashing.

Tezcatlipoca
10-04-2004, 23:47
On Terry the PC light should stay solid with the data light flashing.

Yep, that's what mine does.

Shaun
11-04-2004, 00:58
I love my PCI ADSL modem, it just sits there and does its job, I don't think it has any lights :erm: