PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 150k to AOL 600k

DrToxic
07-04-2004, 10:17
I've been on 150k 'broadband' since July last year and the time has finally come to upgrade to 600k. However, my mum uses AOL dial-up for her business downstairs and I suggested connecting her computer to broadband so she doesn't tie up the phone line. I then told her to ditch AOL and use NTL. I've already connected her computer to the router and AOL is connecting through the broadband, without the need to dial up, although this is obviously not very economical at the moment as we're paying £17.99 for 150k broadband and £15.99 for AOL Anytime (£33.98 , whereas 600k AOL is £27.99) . My mum now likes the idea of keeping AOL so she doesn't have to change her email addresses.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to upgrade from NTL's 150k service to the AOL 600k service with my mum's current AOL Anytime account (i.e. all her current AOL email addresses)? I've tried searching the forums on this but I can't seem to find anything. I've heard somewhere that the AOL broadband package over NTL is just simply a re-badged NTL package, therefore in theory it shouldn't be too difficult switching over. However, I'm still in the first 12 months of the NTL package contract and I'm not sure if this affects anything.

Also, I'm assuming that the AOL part of the package is simply a piece of software? Presumably, I won't have to have it installed on my computer?

I would be extremely grateful if any of you can advise me on this :)

Graham F
07-04-2004, 10:25
To do that you would need to cancel your ntl contract, which you can't do until your 12 months are up.

Why not put your mums AOL dial up on pay as you go so she can keep her email addys and then upgrade to ntl 600k. If you did that I think she would only need to dial up once a month or so to keep the account active :)

GazzaB
07-04-2004, 12:56
Scooby I don't think AOL offer a 1ppm service do they?

Graham F
07-04-2004, 13:04
*shrug*

dunno :dunce:

threadbare
07-04-2004, 14:49
I am sure u can get an AOL piggyback account - u will need to call AOL cust serv to confirm this though. not sure how much this costs though - i know they did this before offering BB thru ntl

scrotnig
07-04-2004, 14:51
To do that you would need to cancel your ntl contract, which you can't do until your 12 months are up.

Why not put your mums AOL dial up on pay as you go so she can keep her email addys and then upgrade to ntl 600k. If you did that I think she would only need to dial up once a month or so to keep the account active :)
The 12 month contracts are NOT hard to get around, frankly. Did you actually sign one?

DbzDP
07-04-2004, 15:38
When you do cancel your AOL Account you can still use the e-mail address I think, phone up AOL and ask them about it, also tell your mum to get a Yahoo or Hotmail account those two are the best or wait till Google enables there email services they will be doing it soon.

mmm
07-04-2004, 16:29
When you do cancel your AOL Account you can still use the e-mail address I think, phone up AOL and ask them about it, also tell your mum to get a Yahoo or Hotmail account those two are the best or wait till Google enables there email services they will be doing it soon.

No it dies immediately. It is hard to cancel AOL though, they will keep offerring you free months to stay...

UK1Liam
08-04-2004, 19:44
AOL offer a BYOA package, which stands for Bring Your Own Access, you will connect the same way you do now, through the Broadband, but instead of it costing you £15.99 it only costs £6.99.