PDA

View Full Version : virus :: orders@amazon.co.uk

handyman
05-04-2004, 23:24
Just recieved a email from orders@amazon.co.uk... re: secure delivery

Now a new message is available.

+++ Attachment: No Virus found
+++ Panda AntiVirus - www.pandasoftware.com

Now I knew it was a virus but I'm a amazon affililiate and just as a coincedence cjay ordrered a book from amazon this afternoon so I figured the AV would get it anyway.

spot on it was netsky virus. Just a heads up for all of you as it has the panda av thing so may fool some without av software.

Virus writers :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

abailey152
05-04-2004, 23:51
Thanks for the "heads up". I'm waiting for an Amazon order too, so I would have probably let this through. Okay my antivirus would probably have nailed it but it's nice to be forewarned. :tu:

handyman
06-04-2004, 12:09
bumpy

Nemesis
06-04-2004, 12:14
I've been seeing a lot of these at home and work now ... all with familiar email addresses. They are becoming sneakier.

You can no longer rely on just not knowing the senders email address, it appears to be the subject lines that are the giveaway, or the text in the body.

Just keep your AV software's virus definitions up to date ...

Theodoric
03-05-2004, 15:22
Just received a email from orders@amazon.co.uk... re: secure delivery

Quote:
Now a new message is available.

+++ Attachment: No Virus found
+++ Panda AntiVirus - www.pandasoftware.com

Now I knew it was a virus but I'm a amazon affililiate and just as a coincedence cjay ordrered a book from amazon this afternoon so I figured the AV would get it anyway.

spot on it was netsky virus. Just a heads up for all of you as it has the panda av thing so may fool some without av software.

Virus writers :mad: :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:
I've just received a message with this so-called panda av "assurance" in it. Fortunately Norton AV picked it up (it's been detecting a variety of Netsky attacks recently), and I also remembered this message (thank you, handyman), so I was doubly assured that it was a fake.

However, one thing worries me. I have McAfee SpamKiller and, in this, I have Amazon down as a trusted domain. Will SpamKiller pick up that such a message is not from Amazon?

PS Not that I have the slightest intention of doing so, but if I tried to go to this pandasoftware site, what would I find?

Shaun
03-05-2004, 15:30
Not that I have the slightest intention of doing so, but if I tried to go to this pandasoftware site, what would I find?

I can answer that one, you'll just find an anti-virus company, like symantec, sneaky eh?

homealone
03-05-2004, 15:32
I've just received a message with this so-called panda av "assurance" in it. Fortunately Norton AV picked it up (it's been detecting a variety of Netsky attacks recently), and I also remembered this message (thank you, handyman), so I was doubly assured that it was a fake.

However, one thing worries me. I have McAfee SpamKiller and, in this, I have Amazon down as a trusted domain. Will SpamKiller pick up that such a message is not from Amazon?

PS Not that I have the slightest intention of doing so, but if I tried to go to this pandasoftware site, what would I find?

Hi Theo

pandasoftware are a legitimate AntiVirus solution seller, the message could have said it had been checked by any AV product - Norton, AVG, McCafee, etc. The point being that it said it had been checked, but this 'reassurance' was false.

Re: spamkiller, I would guess it would depend on how well the addy had been spoofed, as to whether it would let the message through - you just can't be too careful, can you?

Xaccers
03-05-2004, 15:43
I've had emails claiming NAV had checked
It's to make idiots think its safe to open the attachment when really its a virus

Theodoric
03-05-2004, 19:21
Hi Theo

pandasoftware are a legitimate AntiVirus solution seller, the message could have said it had been checked by any AV product - Norton, AVG, McCafee, etc. The point being that it said it had been checked, but this 'reassurance' was false.

Re: spamkiller, I would guess it would depend on how well the addy had been spoofed, as to whether it would let the message through - you just can't be too careful, can you?
Thanks. So, the answer is that it's impossible to be too paranoiac. :)

tommy33
17-08-2006, 10:21
I am looking for a genuine amazon email address is "orders@amazon correct?