PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X connection with NTL

markyboy1001
04-04-2004, 22:56
Hi All
I am dumping my old Windows 98 PC for a nice shiny iMac running OS X. I have NTL broadband with a Terayon cable modem and have not got a clue where to start with getting the connection setup on my Mac. Do I need to download any software? Will I need to dig out a user name? Do I have to brave the NTL 'support' line?
Any advice would be very gratefully received.
Cheers, Mark

quadplay
04-04-2004, 23:00
No software, no setting up - just plug in an Ethernet cable, reset your cable modem (by unplugging the power for around 30 seconds) and go.

Macs are great, aren't they? ;-)

If you use your ntl email, you'll need your username and password, along with the ntl email server addresses - but only if you use your ntl email.

rdhw
04-04-2004, 23:09
Further info on Mac OS X setup is at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/basicset.html#macx. This was written for v10.2, v10.3 is just a little different.

markyboy1001
04-04-2004, 23:21
Hi Jimbo and RDHW
Overlooked rebooting the modem. Did that and, of course, it worked first time!! That is why I'm dumping that Windows thing for this fantastic Mac!!
Many thanks for your help
Cheers
Mark

Chris
04-04-2004, 23:56
well, sounds like you're all sorted before I even got here! Only thing I would have added further to the above is ensure that, in System Preferences > Network > TCP/IP tab, the 'Configure' drop-down is set to 'Using DCHP'. Can't remember what the default setting is - I plugged mine in to BB ages ago and I haven't had to worry about it since. :)

quadplay
05-04-2004, 01:57
I'm pretty sure that is the default setting, but nice one for pointing it out!

carlingman
05-04-2004, 03:01
well, sounds like you're all sorted before I even got here! Only thing I would have added further to the above is ensure that, in System Preferences > Network > TCP/IP tab, the 'Configure' drop-down is set to 'Using DCHP'. Can't remember what the default setting is - I plugged mine in to BB ages ago and I haven't had to worry about it since. :)

From memory I think the default setting used to be Connect Via PPP and Configure Using PPP Server and as you say this is changed to Connect Via Ethernet and Configure Using DHCP Server.

:D