PDA

View Full Version : NTL not recognising password

ikthius
04-04-2004, 21:04
A few years ago, I was begining to learn HTML.
I made up a website, just to help me learn faster, so I made up a site about my CD collection.

I used Terrapin FTP at the time, and I was also on dial up internet access.

Now I have broadband, and I would like to delete this website, I no longer have Terrapin FTP, because I have another computer, but i did have smart FTP, but NTL does not allow me access to my site to delete it with my current password.

This is what I get when trying to get into change the webpages.
Resolving host name upload.ntlworld.com...
Connecting to (upload.ntlworld.com) -> IP: 62.253.162.29 PORT: 21
Connected to (upload.ntlworld.com) -> Time = 60ms
Socket connected waiting for login sequence.
220-
220-################################################## ################
220-
220- Welcome to upload.ntlworld.com
220-
220-################################################## ################
220-
220 upload.ntlworld.com FTP server ready
USER davyk
331 Password required for davyk.
PASS (hidden)
Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

I use upload.ntlworld.com
my user name
my password
port 21
not annonymous

I phoned NTL about this and they said that the password should work.

is there anything elase I can try?

ik

Chris W
04-04-2004, 21:52
hmm... those details should work... i would suggest, try logging in using internet explorer:

ftp://username:password@upload.ntlworld.com/

and if this doesn't work, phone ntl and ask them if they can check that your webspace is working properly.

ikthius
04-04-2004, 22:10
First of all I tried it in Firefox but this was taking over five mins, so I used IE and it automatically said I don't have permission.

ik

Chris W
04-04-2004, 22:27
i think a call to tech support is in order then, if you definately have the correct password it is one of two things:

1. a firewall or other software on your pc is blocking your access to ftp
2. there is a problem with your webspace.

Paul
04-04-2004, 22:36
USER davyk
PASS (hidden)
Cannot login waiting to retry (30s)...

That does not look like password failure, if it was you would get the following;

USER davyk
PASS (hidden)
530 Login incorrect.
! Logon failure, so quitting

Looks more like it was busy or could not perform any authentication for some reason.

ikthius
05-04-2004, 10:43
today I phoned and spoke to a guy called Chris, wouldn't give out his second name.
he said there is work going on with their ftp servers, but as I pointed out, I have been trying to do this for some time about a year now on and off to change my website.
he said all my details are fine there should be no problem if i try it in the morning, because of less traffic, but how if there is work going on?????
he also suggested doing it through my browser as an earlier post here suggested, but that is still not working.
has anyone else been unable to upload or change their webpage, or have I been told a pack of lies, which I think I have. not only that i had to phone the billing section on another matter which I was assured 3 weeks ago of a refund, they have no recollection of this.

Things are looking bad for NTL

ik

ikthius
17-10-2005, 14:56
I am restarting this thread only to answer an email I got, but was not sure about the email, as it was classed spam, and it was sent to my trash automatically.

so to the guy who emailed me.

Yes I got it sorted,

it is an old account from my dial up days, everything should have moved over to my broadband account, but it did not.

phone NTL and say you no longer want this site, and could they wipe it for you as you cannot get your details to work, as dial up and Broadband are not the same accounts.

then upload your site to your new address.

hope this helps

ik

Chris W
17-10-2005, 20:15
just to add to this... ntl can transfer the webspace from dial up to broadband... the space will most likely be wiped but at least you can keep the same address :)

also the process can take several days to complete