PDA

View Full Version : Using Two Modems

jtwn
04-04-2004, 17:33
Ive got a small dispute going on with sharing my 600k connection. What im wondering is if it is possible to get a 4 way splitter (cable in, tv, and the two modems) and connect another modem which would be connected to a wireless router.

Would i just be able to register the mac address of the new modem with ntl and use that in conjunction with the other modem or would that constitute as another connection?

The situation is really silly at the moment you see...:rolleyes:

jellybaby
04-04-2004, 17:58
care to explain what the problem is? maybe someone on here could help

chambece
04-04-2004, 17:58
I Don't think this is possible, but What exactly is your situation at the moment?

td444
04-04-2004, 18:00
I remember reading a while back that its not possible to have 2 CM's on one line, not due to system limits, but due to accounts.

Better call them up and ask really.

Let me guess , gamers + downloaders in the same house?

Shaun
04-04-2004, 18:04
From other threads I've read if you push them you can have a second modem, but you'll be charged twice, once for each modem :)

jtwn
04-04-2004, 18:28
gamers + downloaders in the same house?

Basically yes :) They complain about their ping and the other who do useless stuff like streaming videos also get annoyed by my downloading.

From other threads I've read if you push them you can have a second modem, but you'll be charged twice, once for each modem

Ok, that wasn't the answer i was hoping for but its understandable, well thanks all anyway :)

Shaun
04-04-2004, 18:34
Basically yes :) They complain about their ping and the other who do useless stuff like streaming videos also get annoyed by my downloading.

Ok, that wasn't the answer i was hoping for but its understandable, well thanks all anyway :)

I believe there are programs you can get that can throttle the bandwidth on each machine, but I'm not sure if that would help with your pings. I'll have a quick search, I'm sure I remember a thread about it.

edit - try here (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=5931&highlight=throttle+bandwidth)

magpie
04-04-2004, 20:24

You could try upgrading to 1Mb - that might help (though perhaps not with the ping)

td444
04-04-2004, 20:43
You could try upgrading to 1Mb - that might help (though perhaps not with the ping)
Well actually now that you mention it, I had 55KB/s of traffic coming down and tried pinging some servers, pings were in the 20's to UK destinations.
So might be worth a try.

Mick
04-04-2004, 21:17
If your sharing the connection, does that mean the cost too? Spread the cost and try 1MB, hopefully that might resolve the issues. (And the disputes) :)

td444
05-04-2004, 19:50
Well actually now that you mention it, I had 55KB/s of traffic coming down and tried pinging some servers, pings were in the 20's to UK destinations.
So might be worth a try.
Tried playing day of defeat whilst downloading at around 90KB/s~ and the latency was around 20-40ms to UK servers :D

So yeah, it'll work. Just make sure that HTTP connections dont fill up the downstream.