PDA

View Full Version : Total Noob Web Question

Flip
02-04-2004, 19:58
After guest blogging on a couple of sites for quite sometime...I took the plunge and delved into the mystical world of my own web page...weeks and loss of hair later (hehe) I am sort of ready to launch it...however.

I only use the ntl webspace at the moment for linking images and stuff...however the url always gives my full name as in the user name ntl gave me when i signed up.

Whilst not ashamed of my name ;) I'm sick of seeing my name in the url as in:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/neil.humber/flophousebackroom2.htm

How do I get rid of it?

Can i get rid of it?

:dunce:

Thanks in advance :D

homealone
02-04-2004, 20:13
Hi

afaik you can't change the 'homepage/ntlworld/username' part of the address, sorry :(

- have you thought about registering your own domain & using a hosting service? The deal offered by i-web solutions to members of this forum is very good value, for example.

- check it out at

http://www.i-websolutions.co.uk/nthwwhosting.html

:)

TheBlueRaja
02-04-2004, 20:15
You could use www.tinyurl.com to change that into something completely different.

Then you would just give out tinyurl.com/Flip or something similar to people.

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 20:16
Go with an I-web account m8... Send a PM to KingPheonix... He's a top bloke !!

TheBlueRaja
02-04-2004, 20:21
Eh, dont want to annoy the sponsors or nothing, but www.web-mania.com offer much more than that for a fixed 20quid a year.

500MB of disk space
6GB of data transfer per month
Frontpage extensions version 2002
Unlimited POP3 mail@yourdomain.com
Unlimited mail forwarding mail@yourdomain.com
Email is filtered for Spam and Viruses.
Unlimited subdomains of your domain name
e.g. http://subdomain.yourdomain.com/
CGI-BIN directory
Control Panel
Perl 5
PHP 4
SSI (server side includes)
MySQL Database
phpMyAdmin for MySQL management
SSH access
Full FTP access
Detailed visitor statistics
Close control downflow air conditioning units.
UPS system and Generator back-up

@20 quid a year.

TheBlueRaja
02-04-2004, 20:23
Compare that to I-Web,

50 Meg Storage
1 Gig Transfer
1 SUb Domain
5 Pop 3 e-mails

@24 quid a year.

Nuff said really.

paulyoung666
02-04-2004, 20:24
riot :Yikes: :shocked: :Yikes: :shocked: :Yikes: :Yikes: :shocked:

TheBlueRaja
02-04-2004, 20:27
:Peaceman:

LOL

paulyoung666
02-04-2004, 20:29
:Peaceman:

LOL

nowt wrong with a bit of healthy competition ;)

homealone
02-04-2004, 20:33
Compare that to I-Web,

50 Meg Storage
1 Gig Transfer
1 SUb Domain
5 Pop 3 e-mails

@24 quid a year.

Nuff said really.

that's the 'standard' deal, the 'special' for forum members is £10.69 per year & includes 100Mb storage & 2 Gig transfer, but no sub-domain.

Ok still not the same as the web-mania deal, which looks very competitive, but I have to say my experience of i-web has been very favourable and suits my modest needs. :)

Flip
02-04-2004, 21:28
Hey thanks for the quick replies and help guys...the tinu url was sitting in my favourites (doh!) thanks for reminding me!

As for setting up domain and host...I'm curently being bombarded with offers, but have to say the 20 quid a year looks pretty cool :tu:

I'm just testing the water at the moment and getting my head around code...which too me is like learning swahilli blindfolded with 17 thumbs...muhahahaaa!

Thankfully Coolio (see sig) has spent ages letting me run riot on his site and the Flophouse will have a similar look but with a blog attached...old journos never stop writing crap to anyone who'll read it!

Thanks again and make sure you pop over to Coolios and The Flophouse (when it's open hehe!)

Cheers :beer:

Halcyon
02-04-2004, 21:59
Another thing I'd reccomend is signing up for a free address at www.dot.tk so your address would be for example:
www.whateveryouwanthere.tk

That is the address you can give uot to people and then it redirects to your ntl website.
Simple and free.

02-04-2004, 23:11
hi flip....
you can change your homepage address to avoid having your name in the url....did it myself

will take a call to tech support though

firstly...you'll need to create an email address...with a username that u'd like to have in the homepage url

give tech support a call...they may even create the email for u ..while your on the call... the agent will then need to remove your webspace from sabs and create new webspace.... but the url is limited in that it can only contain a valid username from your own sabs account (...as far as am aware...have been off for a while)...hence the creation of the new email address.

if u've uploaded anything to your existing ntl webspace.... it'll be gone when removed from sabs...so will need to upload any existing pages to the new homepage url

....hope that makes some kinda sense

SMHarman
04-04-2004, 23:19
There was a tech on .com I think that did this for me, it can be done.

Bifta
05-04-2004, 00:09
Compare that to I-Web,

50 Meg Storage
1 Gig Transfer
1 SUb Domain
5 Pop 3 e-mails

@24 quid a year.

Nuff said really.

I wouldn't personally host with someone who has a box sitting at what looks like Easynet. After having a leased line through them a few years back I'd rather die in a horrific chemical fire than ever deal with them again.

ntl customer
05-04-2004, 02:29
hi flip....
you can change your homepage address to avoid having your name in the url....did it myself

will take a call to tech support though

firstly...you'll need to create an email address...with a username that u'd like to have in the homepage url

give tech support a call...they may even create the email for u ..while your on the call... the agent will then need to remove your webspace from sabs and create new webspace.... but the url is limited in that it can only contain a valid username from your own sabs account (...as far as am aware...have been off for a while)...hence the creation of the new email address.

if u've uploaded anything to your existing ntl webspace.... it'll be gone when removed from sabs...so will need to upload any existing pages to the new homepage url

....hope that makes some kinda sense
Can't you already do it on this (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/chguid) page? :confused:

Chris W
05-04-2004, 03:08
you can register your own domain, but still host it on your ntl webspace, most domain registration will allow you to set up framed forwarding, so whenever someone goes to your homepage it will automatically redirect to your ntlworld pages, but still show your registered address in the address bar.

For example if you registered www.whateveryouwant.co.uk, then it would load the pages on your ntl space, but always show www.whateveryouwant.co.uk in the address bar.

domain registration shouldn't cost you more than about £8 for a co.uk domain for 2years

05-04-2004, 03:39
Can't you already do it on this (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi-bin/chguid) page? :confused:

.... it would appear so, yes

... but as i said, aint been at work for a while...and dont visit ntl sites....

my bad perhaps.... but from memory...when u change the main username/password doesnt neccisarily change the original webspace url that was creaetd on registration.... maybe one of the tech support guys could clarify

...hmm ...seem to recall, it may just be the passwrd on the homepage thats not changed (when changing the psswrd for the main email addy)

punky
28-04-2004, 23:44

Nope, cuz i've just tried it. It only appears to change your e-mail. I'll keep trying the webspace, but the e-mail changed instantly, so I don't suppose the website will if it hasn't already. Which is a shame. I might give TS, but it doesn't bother me all that much atm. It would just be handy if it did.