PDA

View Full Version : NTL Broadband. Can anyone please offer advice?

sonicyouth
02-04-2004, 14:21
Hi people,

I desperately need some expert advice. I recently had NTL 150 broadband installed on my PC (Spec: P4, 512mb, 80gb, Win 2000 proffesional, USB connection) it worked for 3-4 days, I then installed the free AVG sofware and it ceased to work. Both internet and email and would not work and I could get no result from IPCONFIG in DOS. I removed the software and all the registry entries I could find, still to no avail!

I tried the broadband on my MAC (Spec: G4, 1.25ghz, 768RAM, OS9/10 dual boot, Ethernet connection) and it worked fine. I desperately do not want to use my MAC for the internet though and would love to get it back up and running on the PC without a full re-install!

Many many thanks in anticipation
Mark

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 14:23
Hi sonicyouth and a big warm :welcome: to the site m8 :)

Is the usb network adaptor listed in the device manager ?

+ Have you tried a connection via ethernet on the pc ?

sonicyouth
02-04-2004, 14:26
Hey thanks Stuart for a VERY fast and warm response. No I haven't tried ethernet on the PC yet, do you think it's worth buying a card?

paulyoung666
02-04-2004, 14:26
maybe it is more of a case of avg screwing it up , can you do a sys restore to bfore you installed avg ????????????? :)

sonicyouth
02-04-2004, 14:28
Apparently not on Windows 2000 Paul?

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 14:29
Hey thanks Stuart for a VERY fast and warm response. No I haven't tried ethernet on the PC yet, do you think it's worth buying a card?

You are most welcome.

I realy cant see how AVG could screw up the internet connection !

Is there anything in the device manager that has a red X or a yellow ! on it ?

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 14:29
maybe it is more of a case of avg screwing it up , can you do a sys restore to bfore you installed avg ????????????? :)

2000 does not have system restore m8....

And why are you now at work ? You skiving ? :D

sonicyouth
02-04-2004, 14:32
NTL seemed to think I had a firewall up, but I really don't think I have in all honesty... I've tried searching for one, any tips?

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 14:39
NTL seemed to think I had a firewall up, but I really don't think I have in all honesty... I've tried searching for one, any tips?

The best two IMHO are zone alarm and Kerio personal firewall.

I use KPF myself and its fab...

Get your connection going before you install a firewall though !

Chris W
02-04-2004, 14:41
when you say you got no result from ipconfig, what did you mean? did it say media disconnected/ give an ip address or give another error message?

If you have never installed a firewall, then i don't see why you should have one!! 2k doesn't have a built in one like xp, although it does have some packet filtering if i remember correctly.

Chris
02-04-2004, 14:51
I tried the broadband on my MAC (Spec: G4, 1.25ghz, 768RAM, OS9/10 dual boot, Ethernet connection) and it worked fine. I desperately do not want to use my MAC for the internet though
Whyever not? Superb range of browsers, fantastic OS and virtual immunity from viruses and dodgy downloads. I've been online with my Mac for four years and never looked back. :)

sonicyouth
02-04-2004, 14:53
Monkey breath, it comes up with 0.0.0.0 when I IPCONFIG.....

Towny - Yes my MAC is way superior to the PC I agree, I just leave my MAC h/d soely for music and media apps and nothing else, being on the internet on it is extremely temp!

paulyoung666
02-04-2004, 14:57
2000 does not have system restore m8....

And why are you now at work ? You skiving ? :D

my bad , finnish early on a friday :D :D :D :D

Nemesis
02-04-2004, 14:58
Lets go back to basics ....

The network connection you have .... is the tcp/ip set up correct.

Ethernet is always better than USB, but even if it wasn't working properly I would expect a 169.x.x.x address.

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 15:01

Towny - Yes my MAC is way superior to the PC I agree, I just leave my MAC h/d soely for music and media apps and nothing else, being on the internet on it is extremely temp!

If you have not yet checked the device manager then this is the first step. It may be something as simple as a currupted driver.

Can you type ipconfig/all at the command prompt and post back the results for us please.

David25
02-04-2004, 16:48
Monkey breath, it comes up with 0.0.0.0 when I IPCONFIG

Follow the other advice first, but if all is OK there you may want to check that the DNS client is running in: control panel>administrative tools>services

sonicyouth
04-04-2004, 14:19
If you have not yet checked the device manager then this is the first step. It may be something as simple as a currupted driver.

Can you type ipconfig/all at the command prompt and post back the results for us please.

Ok here goes

Windows 2000 IP Config

Host name: Mark Rolfe
Primary DNS suffix:
NOD type: Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy enabled: No

Ethernet Adapter Local area connection 2

Connection specific DNS Suffix:
Description: Intel PRO 100+ Management Adapter
Physical Address: 00-DO-B7-1A-84-E2
DHCP Enabled: Yes
Auto configuration enabled: Yes
IP Address: 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway:
DHCP Server:
DNS Servers:

Also did control panel/administrative tools and it said DNS was running..

No corruption or none working drivers in Device Manager (except for the soundcard as I just removed it!)

Thanks guys you are all very helpfull, appreciate!

Paul
04-04-2004, 14:38
Curious that it's called Connection 2 - have a look in START > Settings > Network & Dialup Connections to see if there is a connection 1, and that it is not disabled.

Also check that connection 2 does not say that the cable is unplugged.

sonicyouth
04-04-2004, 14:41
Nope there's not a connection one, it's always been 2 even when it was working... thanks though :)

threadbare
04-04-2004, 15:37

Towny - Yes my MAC is way superior to the PC I agree, I just leave my MAC h/d soely for music and media apps and nothing else, being on the internet on it is extremely temp!that could be a a dial up adapter or if it is the cable modem could indicate a problem with your dhcp client - check admin tools in the ctrl panel and services. could also be usb drivers need reinstall. take everyone's advice swap to a nic

sonicyouth
04-04-2004, 16:31
Hey guys, thanks to everyones kindness on this forum I have now resolved my forums and my lovely mac is now free from the nasty interweb world and the orrible PC is slaving away on it again! very kind - thanks guy! Mark

Maggy
04-04-2004, 16:44
Hey guys, thanks to everyones kindness on this forum I have now resolved my forums and my lovely mac is now free from the nasty interweb world and the orrible PC is slaving away on it again! very kind - thanks guy! Mark

So what exactly was the problem and what sorted it out?

Then I know who to rep! ;)