PDA

View Full Version : Google And Ntl

theman
02-04-2004, 14:03
Why does not NTL team up with GOOGLE for the e.mail and other services then we might get a better e.mail service

Neil
02-04-2004, 14:05
Moved to EMail discussion forum.

Please check you are posting in the right forum, thanks.

Chris
02-04-2004, 14:09
It's interesting how certain brand names have such a powerful and immediate resonance with people. Google is very powerful - people will be falling over each other to get an @gmail.com addy. I want to be at the head of the queue to ensure I get my own name as an address before someone else does, even though I already have perfectly good email from mac.com and don't really need another account. On the other hand, the brand 'NTL' instantly gives me an impression of disorganisation, technology that usually does what it's supposed to, and corporate indifference. Getting google to supply email services to NTL might well improve NTL's email service, but I can't help thinking that if I ran Google, I'd ponder very seriously indeed before associating my brand with NTL.

theman
02-04-2004, 14:12
hmm you might be right towny but with google you can be sure of getting a goods service

Chris
02-04-2004, 14:16
hmm you might be right towny but with google you can be sure of getting a goods service
Agreed, and if I was a senior executive at MSN just now, I'd be very worried indeed. They are pushing like mad for people to upgrade from free hotmail to a value-added service that seems largely to be based on additional mail storage. Google will be giving away vast amounts of mail storage for free.

It seems to me that, for all Google's claims that their customers 'want email from Google', part of their motivation is to give MSN a thumping as pre-emptive revenge for its plans to muscle in on the search engine market.

Chris W
02-04-2004, 14:28

I am not so sure of this.... just because google provide good search engines, does that mean that their email service will be good?

I mean, ntl used to provide unbeatable BB connectivity, but doesn't mean that their email is good! on the other hand, Btopenworld's dialup email service is fantastic, but the connectivity is rubbish.

I am holding back to see if google can make a good job of this!

Graham F
02-04-2004, 14:37
I would be very suprised if Google were not good at this, they will of invested alot of money into making sure it works and works well

theman
02-04-2004, 14:38
ntl aready have google as a search engine so why go that one step and have them as a e.mail provider like bt have yahoo also i am at the amount of spam i am sick getting though ntl web mail Goolge have said that the amount of spam with their e.mail will be next to nothing so what have ntl got to lose because ntl does not do something then for I one when my year is up i am going to bt yahoo

Russ
02-04-2004, 14:40
ntl aready have google as a bowser

Don't you mean 'as a search engine'?

Ramrod
02-04-2004, 14:40
From todays Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1060271,00.html
Google, based in California, has adopted the maxim that attack is the best form of defence and is using e-mail to hit Microsoft and Yahoo! where they are most vulnerable.

Chris
02-04-2004, 14:43
From todays Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1060271,00.html

I thank you ... my future career as business strategy analyst is assured :D

I promise I didn't read that article first!

zoombini
02-04-2004, 16:49
Wasnt this supposed to be an April fools joke?

If not the bit
Google will earn money back from the service by recognising the topics being discussed in the e-mails and selling advertisements related to the subjects that will run alongside the text. An e-mail discussing football might carry advertisements for sporting tickets or sport shoes, for example. Sounds very much like mail monitoring to me.

Chris
02-04-2004, 16:55
Wasnt this supposed to be an April fools joke?
Nope, they re-confirmed the news today after many people took it for a prank.

If not the bit
Sounds very much like mail monitoring to me.
They say the ad-bot is fully automated and makes no permanent record of the contents of the mail. I suppose they think that's sufficient to get round any problems.

eddie00001
02-04-2004, 18:00
They say the ad-bot is fully automated and makes no permanent record of the contents of the mail. I suppose they think that's sufficient to get round any problems.

Well, there's always a price to be paid as nothing is free. Overall, it seems pretty fair for what they intend to provide.

David25
03-04-2004, 11:50

We have no proof that Google will provide a good email service.

Russ
03-04-2004, 11:53
A good point but I think people will feel more comfortable using something Google will provide rather than an email service run by a company with NTL's repuation.

chambece
05-04-2004, 12:59
Did anyone see my other post?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=10591

hmm not sure if I want one......