PDA

View Full Version : NTL installer CD - too much software!

Richard M
01-04-2004, 10:00
Last night I had the misfortune of using the newest NTL installer CD for a SACM.
As well as installing Microsoft VM, which I didn't want, it proceeded to install something useless (to me) called Broadband Medic and only gave me the chance to opt out of installing Real One player and Zone Alarm (although this is a good move, well done NTL :tu: ).
As well as this, it took bloody ages to go through the lot and when I went into my system startup group, I found no less than three new items.
They're gone now, obviously not needed because the connection is working fine and as a experienced user, I know this anyway.
NTL: why so much software?

imback
01-04-2004, 10:05
I don't think it installs much compared to some ISP's. BB medic is the replacement for correct connect, and so is being pushed at the moment, so I guess that's why there is no option to opt out of that install.

If it works correctly then it will a good help to customers I think.

Stuartbe
01-04-2004, 10:14
Last night I had the misfortune of using the newest NTL installer CD for a SACM.
As well as installing Microsoft VM, which I didn't want, it proceeded to install something useless (to me) called Broadband Medic and only gave me the chance to opt out of installing Real One player and Zone Alarm (although this is a good move, well done NTL :tu: ).
As well as this, it took bloody ages to go through the lot and when I went into my system startup group, I found no less than three new items.
They're gone now, obviously not needed because the connection is working fine and as a experienced user, I know this anyway.
NTL: why so much software?

:Yikes: Nooooooo You used the NTL cd !!! --- Neil you hold him while I kick him :D

Richard M
01-04-2004, 10:21
I had to Stu, I was setting up a new account for someone.

Stuartbe
01-04-2004, 10:40
I had to Stu, I was setting up a new account for someone.

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ ;)

Richard M
01-04-2004, 10:47
Doh... :dunce:

poolking
01-04-2004, 10:54
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ ;)
Is this link included in the knowledgebase?

Stuartbe
01-04-2004, 10:55
Is this link included in the knowledgebase?

It will be when I get time to move them all. At the moment its on a sticky thread here - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7603

Martin
02-04-2004, 11:00
I'm actually downloading this to see if it's as bad as everyone makes out. ;)

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 11:03
I'm actually downloading this to see if it's as bad as everyone makes out. ;)

* goes off to look for skull and crossbones smiley *

Dont do it !!! :Yikes:

Martin
02-04-2004, 11:07
It's loading now!!!!! Which it's been doing about 10 minutes, i have the strangest feeling it's not going as planned.

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 11:09
Why am I not suprised :D

Martin
02-04-2004, 11:21
Hmmm it's loaded and Stuart you were right, never will i doubt your word again. :) I'm off to do an un-install. ;)

Stuartbe
02-04-2004, 11:28
Good luck with the uninstall :D You may need it !

quadplay
02-04-2004, 12:43
Hmmm it's loaded and Stuart you were right, never will i doubt your word again. :) I'm off to do an un-install. ;)

Can I ask why?

Martin
02-04-2004, 13:09
Can I ask why?
You sure can. :) I installed it out of curiousity after hearing people werem't keen. After it intially crashed when trying to load, it didn't get off to a good start. To me it's what i would refer as bloated software, take the options in Housekeeping.... clean Temporary Internet Files, Empty Bin, Delete cookies, perfect for the newbies of the world but to me pointless having something running that just will sit there doing nothing.

Obviously if something was wrong with my connection it may come in but it's very doubtfull i would ever use it.

quadplay
05-04-2004, 00:59
perfect for the newbies of the world

And that's who it's mainly for! Of course, if others have it installed, it makes our job easier at the TSB, because there's a "HealthCheck" page which gives us all the relevant settings - plus, you can send TS a message online, without having to wait in a phone queue! Assuming, of course, you ARE online... ;)

hawkseye000
24-04-2004, 19:06
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/ ;)just ignore me if i'm being retarded here, but how can you visit a webpage without first getting an i.p. address.. i think i remember something in the knowledge base but i was under the inpression that bb wasnt plug and play... oh well... or maybe is it an exception due to the https protocol

oh i know nothing

24-04-2004, 19:24
once the broadband is installed (pre reg) u have a pre reg ip address....cant browse the net with it....but allows a user to get to the reg page :)

greencreeper
10-05-2004, 00:33
Broadband Medic seriously messed up my PC, causing all sorts of odd program behaviour, particularly with Microsoft Office. The annoying thing is that the Office problems remain - keep being asked for the install disk to install programs that are already installed. Will never install it again - very dodgy software. I was a trialist too - what have I done :(