PDA

View Full Version : 1Mb and 2Mb ADSL Prices

distortal
14-07-2003, 15:50
Just seen this on The Register:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/31717.html

1Mbit ADSL: £27.50p m
2Mbit ADSL: £37.49p m

I wonder if/how NTL are going to respond? Those are 50:1 contentions but my area (Grimsby) is an NTL monopoly so I can't see many people switching just yet, even though we're being ADSL-enabled shortly.

Looking at that I could re-enable the BT line and double my conx speed for an extra £2.50pm . I'd be tempted to junk the NTL line and get the BT unlimited calls package as well.

Tempting...

Defiant
14-07-2003, 16:06
NTL wont respond. They can't be arsed. Look at their price's now their not competitive anymore.

distortal
14-07-2003, 16:13
Well I can't say I'm not tempted. I'd have to discuss it with t'missus, and it may mean another hardware outlay as I currently go through a wireless/broadband router, but.. hell it would be nice :)

Dupre
14-07-2003, 16:37
what you fail to realise is that £27.50 + the layout for "activation" £29.38 means for the 1st year you pay £29.94 per month with the cost spread for the activation, which doesnt imply thats the DSL installation fee for BT, now... im no genious, but there T+C also allow them to put in a cap, whos to say you wont get a cap put in, in 3 months when they can maximise cashflow?

ALSO! there 1mb/2mb cheap service is on a 50:1 contention ratio, which means youll be lucky to get 600k down at peak times, and probably the rest of the time too, seeing as NTL has a 20:1 contention, if you were to compair EQUALLY, youd have to get the £40 a month connection which works out as £42.45 a month, so before you jump on the OMG! a better connection than NTL for less, its not! and dont forget to include all the fees of getting your BT line back up and running, and DSL installed, activation might not be line upgrading, but just "heres your username, give me £30".

so to recap, NTL's 1mbit is 20:1 contention for £34.99 a month, free installation, fast24 is 50:1 contention for £29.94 a month, or for equal footing, 20:1 is £42.45 a month... great savings!

zigatoh
14-07-2003, 17:12
Originally posted by Dupre

so to recap, NTL's 1mbit is 20:1 contention for £34.99 a month, free installation, fast24 is 50:1 contention for £29.94 a month, or for equal footing, 20:1 is £42.45 a month... great savings!

Well I for one can't be arse'd to go through That thread but i'm sure many people have explained many times why the contention ratios don't work in the same way on ADSL as they do on cable, so someone who can be arse'd go look it up, please...

Defiant
14-07-2003, 17:24
Dupre do you by any chance work for NTL ?

matty4donna
14-07-2003, 17:36
ive been on 2mb from another company called Internet Central for a long time so this isnt news to me :D

ic14
14-07-2003, 18:37
Originally posted by distortal

What ISP are those prices for? And how about upload! DLs good but i need Up!!

Never heard of fast24?

distortal
14-07-2003, 18:55
Crud. I wrote a huge reply and lost it. Great service, NTL.

In Grimsby, many businesses have avoided NTL because of the high price. I know they're waiting for ADSL (My work is B2B so I get to know these things) and will then sign up in droves, but business packages are usually 20:1, and residential 50:1.

Please tell me, Dupre, where I can find a 2Mb NTL package of any contention ratio and how much it'll cost. I was gonna ask you if you worked for NTL as well but got beaten to it :)

matty4donna - details please! Esp. on Contention/Performance if you would.

ic24, the prices are for Fast24:
http://www2.fast24.net/packages/broadband/

If you read the forums, the activation fee is halved until the end of July, and yes, it does include the payment to BT.

Edit: BTW, minimum contract is three months, so if you don't like it, you don't have long to wait before you can dump it, unlike NTL.

ic14
14-07-2003, 19:22
£40 a month for 1mbit with 20:1 contenion ratio sounds good!

matty4donna
15-07-2003, 10:35
well i have been paying £39.99 per month for 2mb ADSL since the original launch of it on Internet Central (there have been two launches as there were problems iwth the first). I must say the service is extremely fast and has no cap. I normally get around 1.8mbps however i have a fully maxxed out connection. Luckily for me most users in my area are on cable, i myself still keep my 1mb cable for the time being. The service is great, reliable and fast. They charge £29.99 per month 1mb as well. Since my 2mb is only £5.00 per month more then ntl: 1mb i am considering getting rid of it!

You can find details from http://www.internet-central.net

distortal
15-07-2003, 10:40
This is the situation I find myself in - all of Grimsby is on Cable and those that are waiting for ADSL are mostly businesses who will be on the 20:1 anyway.

I particularly like the 3 month minimum contract but it's more the hardware change at my end (new router required) that concerns me - I've only just got it all working spot on :)

darkangel
15-07-2003, 11:44
Originally posted by matty4donna
well i have been paying £39.99 per month for 2mb ADSL since the original launch of it on Internet Central (there have been two launches as there were problems iwth the first). I must say the service is extremely fast and has no cap. I normally get around 1.8mbps however i have a fully maxxed out connection. Luckily for me most users in my area are on cable, i myself still keep my 1mb cable for the time being. The service is great, reliable and fast. They charge £29.99 per month 1mb as well. Since my 2mb is only £5.00 per month more then ntl: 1mb i am considering getting rid of it!

You can find details from http://www.internet-central.net £39.99+ vat how much for modems etc?

kronas
15-07-2003, 13:10
Originally posted by distortal

I wonder if/how NTL are going to respond? Those are 50:1 contentions but my area (Grimsby) is an NTL monopoly so I can't see many people switching just yet, even though we're being ADSL-enabled shortly.

Looking at that I could re-enable the BT line and double my conx speed for an extra £2.50pm . I'd be tempted to junk the NTL line and get the BT unlimited calls package as well.

Tempting...

i assume those prices are vat inclusive ?

Jarandco
15-07-2003, 14:02
Originally posted by kronas
i assume those prices are vat inclusive ?

yes they are!

kronas
15-07-2003, 14:07
*goes to hammer his parents in to subscribing to it

TigaSefi
15-07-2003, 14:09
When PIPEX having 1Mb ?

Dupre
16-07-2003, 15:44
No i dont work for NTL, but i do have some intelligence to realise a red apple and a green apple arent the same, even though they're both apples (a metaphor for you simple people out there).

The service fast24 offer cant be compaired equally to NTL unless you take into account all the features. at 50:1 you could potentially have 50 people sharing your 1mbit downstream. thats 0.02mbit/s max which you cant complain about, because you signed up for it, the company looks a bit fly by night, so i expect fun to be had with em in time... price increases, outages etc.

matty4donna
16-07-2003, 16:22
well ive never had any problems with my 2mb ADSL service with regards to speed or outages. Ive had it for about 4 or 5 months now! :)

hawkmoon
16-07-2003, 16:54
Originally posted by Dupre

ALSO! there 1mb/2mb cheap service is on a 50:1 contention ratio, which means youll be lucky to get 600k down at peak times, and probably the rest of the time too,

What utter tosh! At present time there are not enough users in the UK to cause contention issues. BT are not contending anyone on the PVC's.

Contention on ADSL refers to the total bandwidth on the PVC not the bandwidth of your connection. The PVC has a bandwidth of 10Mb and this is what will be contended at 50:1. Even if another 50 users are connected to the same PVC at your exchange (which currently does not happen - only 3 IPS's will share one PVC) you will still get around 20 - 25KBps as worst case would be 200Kb.

It is on the PVC that BT will apply the contention and not between blocks of 50 users.

hawkmoon
16-07-2003, 16:55
Originally posted by hawkmoon
What utter tosh! At present time there are not enough users in the UK to cause contention issues. BT are not contending anyone on the PVC's.

Contention on ADSL refers to the total bandwidth on the PVC not the bandwidth of your connection. The PVC has a bandwidth of 10Mb and this is what will be contended at 50:1. Even if another 50 users are connected to the same PVC at your exchange (only 3 ISP's will share one PVC) you will still get around 20 - 25KBps as worst case would be 200Kb.

It is on the PVC that BT will apply the contention and not between blocks of 50 users.

BubbleGum
16-07-2003, 16:57
Loads of cheap dialup ISPs came and went - their technical support was poor and trying to get through to customer services was a joke, but they were happy to take the money. A bit like ntl then :rolleyes:

Surprised that cheap ADSL providers are popping up ?. I'm not - some of them will be here today gone tomorrow. Stay with a reputable company :)

matty4donna
16-07-2003, 17:00
Originally posted by Bluetack
Loads of cheap dialup ISPs came and went - their technical support was poor and trying to get through to customer services was a joke, but they were happy to take the money. A bit like ntl then :rolleyes: Well not quite! I don't know where you get your info from, but the 100% free ntl:world dial-up service was the only "unmetered" dial-up internet service to survive out of about 50 planned services from such companies as breathe and altavista. Oh and their customer services have recently been awarded 5 stars, ahead of the likes of Sky and BT in a recent report! :rolleyes:

th'engineer
16-07-2003, 17:26
the company looks a bit fly by night, so i expect fun to be had with em in time... price increases, outages etc.

Have you thought of applying for NTL still trying to work out the differences you suggest it could be NTL:D