PDA

View Full Version : NTL Poole: slow ebay/hotmail

prusling
29-03-2004, 20:04
Hi,

For the last couple of weeks, the ebay and hotmail sites take an absolute age to load (minutes), whereas other sites load at normal speeds (600k). I can't see any problem with my settings. Has anyone else found this; are they just very heavily loaded these days, or could it be a proxy issue?

Cheers, Peter

Tristan
29-03-2004, 20:09
Hi,

I'm in Broadstone (BH18), and while I don't use eBay, Hotmail seems okay to me. Certainly not taking minutes to load.

Are you using an STB or SACM?

iadom
29-03-2004, 20:10
Hi Peter and:welcome: A few people in this area have reported similar problems with ebay over the past week. I have not had problems but it does seem slow ATM.

wheeliebin
29-03-2004, 20:41
Hi,

For the last couple of weeks, the ebay and hotmail sites take an absolute age to load (minutes), whereas other sites load at normal speeds (600k). I can't see any problem with my settings. Has anyone else found this; are they just very heavily loaded these days, or could it be a proxy issue?

Cheers, Peter

Same here in Manchester mate.

Its just started working now (ebay) after being down all afternoon. Very annoying especially as im bidding on an item too :(

Neil
29-03-2004, 20:42
Has anyone reported these issues to ntl Tech Support?

prusling
29-03-2004, 20:51
Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Canford Heath and use a stb connection. I moved down 9 months ago from Woking where I must have been one of the original NTL broadband triallists!

I notice that there are a number of hotmail hosts, so I may be on a different server which is particularly slow...

As you say, ebay is almost unusable at present. I tried bidding on something last week and couldn't get my last bid in because of the refresh problems... Oh well, saved some money!

I'll put a report into ntl (if it doesn't cost me a fortune on the phone).

Cheers, Pete

iain_herts
29-03-2004, 21:06
hi just call 151 option 2 then faults dont cost nothing and you get put through to the same ppl and my hotmail and ebay seem fine herts

wheeliebin
29-03-2004, 21:10
Has anyone reported these issues to ntl Tech Support?
am onto them now :) cheers for the prompt....

After all the pre-recorded guff i got straight through, somone is just looking into it for me.

wheeliebin
29-03-2004, 21:14
am onto them now :) cheers for the prompt....

After all the pre-recorded guff i got straight through, somone is just looking into it for me.

It seems they were unaware.
Its been passed to level 2 faults who will look into it.

I have asked them to check this thread out to see the other people who are affected.

As Neil says if anyone else is having this issue phone in 0845 650 0125 and report it

prusling
29-03-2004, 21:35
I've also reported it online.

Cheers, Pete

prusling
30-03-2004, 16:16
Just got an unhelpful general e-mail response about broadband speed tests; no mention of ebay or hotmail...

BarFly
30-03-2004, 17:43
its more likely to be a proxy issue if affecting hotmail & ebay, try specifing a non local proxy which should resolve the issue........

Though i think there some probs with poole2 ubr at the moment which should be resolved asap.....

hope it helps

Foo Fighter
30-03-2004, 20:21
FFS this is taking the mick, i'm bidding on a item on ebay and can't get to the site... stupid poxy ****y servers... no ones at 151 to complain they all gone home... im gonna demand some compensation for this ****

great cost effective planning, put proxy servers on and give a **** service to everyone so they can complain and get a month free