PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Switch

DJ Dave
28-03-2004, 12:17
My Friend told my i would be better chaning to Erthnet from USB,So i got the Erthnet card installed ok and everything. Then i went to install NTL CD using erthnet etc but everytime it tells you to connect the cable to the PC and Modem the PC crashes and you have to reset it all the time. I have put USB back on but want to go on erthnet in the end, i have also uninstalled the USB Drivers before i put the erthnet on. Any ideas whats is happening?

jellybaby
28-03-2004, 12:23
U don't need to use the NTL CD. Try hooking it up without using the CD.
Use this site to help you :-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html

Oldvinyl
29-03-2004, 19:33
U don't need to use the NTL CD. Try hooking it up without using the CD.
Use this site to help you :-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/index.html

Yeah I have been using USB adapter for my 160 BB & put a new Ethernet card in today & even though its been recognised by Windows, I cannot get it to work.
Can't see anything on that link that helps .......

zovat
29-03-2004, 19:48
Yeah I have been using USB adapter for my 160 BB & put a new Ethernet card in today & even though its been recognised by Windows, I cannot get it to work.
Can't see anything on that link that helps .......

are you on STB or CM ?

If you are on CM, just rebooting the CM should do the trick (leave it off for a minute or so to be sure...

If you are on STB you will need to register the MAC of the new card (although this is pretty painles)..

when you say windows recognises it - does it get an IP address for it ?

Stuartbe
29-03-2004, 20:08
My Friend told my i would be better chaning to Erthnet from USB,So i got the Erthnet card installed ok and everything. Then i went to install NTL CD using erthnet etc but everytime it tells you to connect the cable to the PC and Modem the PC crashes and you have to reset it all the time. I have put USB back on but want to go on erthnet in the end, i have also uninstalled the USB Drivers before i put the erthnet on. Any ideas whats is happening?

Hi DJDave and :welcome: to the site :)

Have a look at this guide - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=7603&page=1&pp=15

Should help you out :)

Oldvinyl
29-03-2004, 22:36
are you on STB or CM ?

If you are on CM, just rebooting the CM should do the trick (leave it off for a minute or so to be sure...

If you are on STB you will need to register the MAC of the new card (although this is pretty painles)..

when you say windows recognises it - does it get an IP address for it ?

Thanks Zovat
I'm afraid i am a total technophobe. Somebody on another site told me it was "easy" to fit an Ethernet card ..... that much was true, but, they never tell you about the nightmare of gobbledygook us novices need to get to grips with to make stuff work.
Could you tell me in simple terms that a ten year old would understand
a; how on a STB you will need to register the MAC of the new card and,
b; how to check an IP address for it ?[/

Thanks

Tricky
29-03-2004, 22:42
What operating system RU on?
If you're on XP try the following command from a DOS prompt:
ipconfig /all

You should get something like:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : YOURPCNAME
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-76-0E-C7-45
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.XXX.XXX.XXX
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.XXX.XXX.XXX
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.4.100

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 29 March 2004 21:16:01
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 30 March 2004 21:16:01

The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will be your own settings...If this is a 169.x.x.x address then the card is not picking up a ip address or your cables are not connected.

zovat
30-03-2004, 00:10
Thanks Zovat
I'm afraid i am a total technophobe. Somebody on another site told me it was "easy" to fit an Ethernet card ..... that much was true, but, they never tell you about the nightmare of gobbledygook us novices need to get to grips with to make stuff work.
Could you tell me in simple terms that a ten year old would understand
a; how on a STB you will need to register the MAC of the new card and,
b; how to check an IP address for it ?[/

Thanks

ok - if you are on a set tob box, then all you should need to do is stick any old address into your browser - it should then redirect you to the relevant page...

this will then register the MAC address of the card (this is a unique hardware address for the card - it never changes, and is set on the card itself) - the MAC address is normally on a sticker on the card - but I am not sure whether you will need to know it - or whether the NTL site recognises it automatically.

to check the IP, run a command window (from the menu select "Run" then put "command" into the box), this should give you a DOS like prompt (white text, black background - something like "c:>" as a prompt.
type "ipconfig" in this window - you should get something like :

Microsoft(R) Windows DOS
(C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1990-2001.

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : dhcp
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\>

(please note - I run a router and firewall - so my IP will be very different to yours)

The important thing is that "IP Address" - let us know what it is, and we should be able to tell if it worked (stuartbe knows way too much about networks for his own good ;) )

HTH - let me know if not (or PM me if you would rather)

Zovat

Oldvinyl
30-03-2004, 01:34
Thanks Tricky & Zovat
Lost my USB Adapter connection too! Just spent 3 hours trying to find out what I did wrong.
Well .... with the help of "winipcfg" and typing www.google.com in address bar from someone (I printed off a 3 page post from here last year about registering a BB connection without the ntl CD), after several attempts, I ended up re-registering a 'new computer' with ntl, re-boot STB (3 times) re-boot PC (lost count how many times), now the Ethernet card is working : )
Windows 98
Thanks again tho'.

theman
30-03-2004, 12:19
try this i here is the notes to connect ethernet without the cd
1 Temporarlily disable any firewall software
2 power down the pc and the modem
3 Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the pc
4 Power up the cable moderm and let it settle for 5- 10 mimutes
5 Once the cable modem is ready power up the pc
6 When the computer has booted into windows click on start>run.
7 In the box type command.com and press enter
8 In the black box type ipconfig/all- you will see a String of information and all the adaptors in the system
9 Look for the Ethernet adaptor on the list, you see under the entry "ip address" a number.This is your ip address
10 If the number is all 0's or has the following address starting 169 then you need to type in the following Ipconfig/release
wait ten seconds and then type ipconfig/renew.You see a message confirming a new address has been obtained
11 You now need to open a browser window and check that you dont have a poxy set.To do this click on tools,internet options and then connections
Now click on the Lan settings buttons and make sure nothing is ticked. Click ok and type in the following into the Address bar at the top
https://autoreg.autoregister.net/. This will take you to the registration page. You will need the mac address (on the underside of the cable modem)
and the pin number on the letter you recived from NTL and one of the following serial number for a cable moderm is "ntl-ct8-cj486"
Follow the onscreen instrucations and you should be up and running. Dont forget to re-enabel your firewall and update windows
with all the patches from the windows update site

have used it and it works

zovat
30-03-2004, 14:08
Thanks Tricky & Zovat
Lost my USB Adapter connection too! Just spent 3 hours trying to find out what I did wrong.
Well .... with the help of "winipcfg" and typing www.google.com in address bar from someone (I printed off a 3 page post from here last year about registering a BB connection without the ntl CD), after several attempts, I ended up re-registering a 'new computer' with ntl, re-boot STB (3 times) re-boot PC (lost count how many times), now the Ethernet card is working : )
Windows 98
Thanks again tho'.

Glad you got it working .. :D

STB connections can be a pain - but it will be worth it in the long run, you should notice a difference in your system now that you are on ethernet..