PDA

View Full Version : file swappers 'buy more music'

kronas
14-07-2003, 01:42
accroding to research done by Music Programming Ltd 87% of people who respondents to questions say they bought music after listening to it on the net

a MPL spokesman said "Downloading is actually a 'try before you buy' tool for a significant amount of people.

"It allows people to sample new music and decide whether or not to buy it - it is not necessarily a replacement for purchase."

more in the link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3052145.stm

so whos contradicting who ?

Martin
14-07-2003, 09:02
I love these people, on the one hand they don't want people to do it and on the other hand they think how the hell do we stop it? Then someone says I know lets do some research! Hee hee If they want to call it try before you buy great.:)

bopdude
14-07-2003, 09:11
If you belive everything you hear \ read about surveys that is, I mean, whats the point of d\l ing in the first place if your gonna buy anyway ?

Surely you would make a copy ( legaly, for a back-up ) :p :D
rather than get some ( sometimes shoddy ) d\l IMHO, that is :D

matty4donna
14-07-2003, 09:45
i know a lot of people who download and then buy. I download myself, yet i buy around 10 albums a month and the odd single. But then i know people who don't download and they dont buy anywhere near as much, basically because they dont experience as much music. Its true that an artist can have much more exposure from p2p!

TigaSefi
14-07-2003, 11:37
I download quite a bit of music and i find it all rubbish so i end up never buying it and say "Thank the lord for mp3's" It has saved me COUNTLESS of £'s in wasted crap albums :D

danielf
14-07-2003, 11:42
I don't download much, but what I download is usually as a try before you buy. Unfortunately, as Tigasefi said, a lot of it is rubbish. If it is good, I usually buy it (if only because I happen to like obscure artists who can really do with some support). I'd happily buy 4 cds a month if only 4 good cds (that I was aware of) were released each month...

Chris
14-07-2003, 12:27
I have been 'downloading' music for 20 years. I used to 'download' tracks from vinyl to cassette via a friend's stereo system. If I liked it enough, I would go and buy it. No-one ever thought this was a big problem, although you would sometimes hear record industry executives bleating on about wanting the price of blank tapes to go up to discourage it.

When Napster was around we experimented a bit with it, got a couple of CDs (only had dial-up then, so it was extremely laborious), and the ones we liked, we bought. Coldplay have Napster to thank for us buying a copy of 'Parachutes'. Although the CD is now on the shelf downstairs, the copy on my Mac is still the one I got from Napster!

I have no problems with the 'try before you buy' concept. I tend not to bother with p2p now mainly because Macs are far less well supported (Napster was great for Mac, none of the others currently supporting Mac come close IMO), but also because there are a large number of warez monkeys using p2p and hiding behind thin excuses to justify it, and I don't really want to be associated with that.

Sadly, the record companies are trying to solve a modern problem with the attitudes of the last century and instead of working with technology to benefit everyone they have been panicking and trying to stamp it out. Goodness only knows why they think they can beat the internet.

Apple's iTunes Music Store is a rare exception to this - I love being able to preview tracks and watch vids through the application interface without even having to go to a web page. The only drawback is they won't let me buy tracks from it yet as I don't have a US billing address, but that will change soon ... they are making a mint and are sure to want to expand it. You poor impoverished Windows users will be able to get iTunes later this year as well, and see what you've been missing out on.... ;)

gary_580
14-07-2003, 13:03
Originally posted by bopdude
If you belive everything you hear \ read about surveys that is, I mean, whats the point of d\l ing in the first place if your gonna buy anyway ?

Surely you would make a copy ( legaly, for a back-up ) :p :D
rather than get some ( sometimes shoddy ) d\l IMHO, that is :D

Ever heard of try b4 u buy??? i discover lots of stuff that i buy in this way. Why do i buy it? Because i actually think people that make music are talented and should be rewarded for it. The thing that irritates me is that there are so many so called musicians out there that produce a whole load of junk that people buy and then never listen to. Its these people that will suffer in the long term, and good ridance i say.