PDA

View Full Version : Non STOP emails HELP!

dusty
25-03-2004, 22:26
Today I have received the same emails 8 times! 4 of which contained a virus (luckily picked up by my anti virus) Is this happening to anyone else? It is driving me crazy.

I have done a virus scan, also trojan scan, Spybot ect.. and it seems as if the computer is clean.

Also I am getting more disgusting spam than ever via my NTL account, I do have Norton Spam but quite honestly it is useless, apart from doing almost nothing, it repeatedly puts the emails from my 'allowed' list in the spam folder grrrrrrrrrh

I thinkit really is time to change ISP I have been with NTL for 4 years, but the service or lack of is just a joke now. I had a query regarding my bill, I am still waiting after 2 weeks for the courtesy of a reply.

MovedGoalPosts
25-03-2004, 22:46
Check settings in your mail program, that you aren't leaving stuff on the server, and then dowloading it again , next time your program connects. If you have real problems with a dud email that wont clear, try using the ntl web mail to access and kill it off.

A virus on a computer will continualy try and send itself out, often with email that appears to be the same as others. If you are unfortunate enough to be in the address book of more than one infected puter you'll get deluged with infected mail.

As for Spam, don't think there is an effective answer. However, I havent had a spam on my ntl account for months. All I did was change my email addys to something that isn't readily guessed by the spammers.

dusty
25-03-2004, 22:50
Thank you Geek for the reply, since I posted I have the same emails another 5 times! I will try what you mentioned and go to web mail. This has only happened today, as you say meaybe someone who is infected has my address?
P.S. I couldn't find my post! someone moved it why I don't know

MovedGoalPosts
25-03-2004, 23:09
P.S. I couldn't find my post! someone moved it why I don't know
The forum mods may move threads to areas of the fourm they think are more appropriate based on the subject matter. Don't worry about it.

Stu038
26-03-2004, 08:29
Give Spamfighter a try I got it from ZDNet. Since the netsky virus's hit a few weeks back I too have been getting 30+ infected mails a day all from folks and organisations I've never heard of :( The combination of Spamfighter and Norton AV deal quite nicely with them though :)

Death Jester
26-03-2004, 13:00
I have norton AntiSpam and Antivirus.

Antispam work fairly well for me. Only a few mails that I want are put into the spam box, but apart from that, nearly perfect.

I usually get about 100 emails a day. Nearly always spam.

I use mail2web if I get an email that gets "stuck" (ie: norton detect a virus, but cannot delete it, and so stops the download of it, meaning I cannot acess the rest of the mail if its something like 4 of 30). All you need is your username (which is your emai ladress without the @ntlworld.com), and your password. No signing up, just straight in and checking your mail.

TheBlueRaja
26-03-2004, 13:58
Its not you that has a problem, its some person who has you in their contact list that has a virus.

Just delete them or if they are getting through WITH the attachments, use a Virus scanner or Antispam as Death Jester suggests.

This is not a problem on your machine.

hansi
27-03-2004, 06:46
I am pretty much having the same problem with spam. This morning I had 38 e mails, two of which were genuine. However, I have installed Mailwasher which does an excellent job of sorting the rubbish out and deleting them. It is worth having, I wouldn't be without it now.