PDA

View Full Version : Older Gamers

Bugblatter
25-03-2004, 22:23
I am probably quite old for a games player. Right now, I am working my way through NFS Underground (reached eight in the rankings)

I had a session online but all the others had bad-a$$ Skylines and the like so I had no chance.

Any other oldies here who play games? :cool:

Tricky
25-03-2004, 22:47
Depends what you class as old? - mid-thrities? then yes!

MovedGoalPosts
25-03-2004, 23:19
Age must be a handicap to playing these youngsters on line.

Its proven that as you age your reactions slow, and in most games experience is less relavent that reaction times? Add to the general withering of the body and the wrinkly must be on a looser. Of course some aging is self inflicted, like a lack of brain cells from too many years boozing!

So what games are best suited to us oldies?

BTW I don't consider myself old yet at 39 (in a couple of months when I turn 40 maybe :Yikes: ), but compared to the online game playing generation of kids, this is absolutely pensionable great grandaddy age. :(

Bugblatter
25-03-2004, 23:41
Depends what you class as old? - mid-thrities? then yes!

I'm 47. Reaction times do slow as age increases, but it varies between individuals. So some 17 year olds will have slower reaction times than some 40 year olds. My reaction time is pretty quick, which is probably why I can play games like NFS (I even prefer to use keyboard controls :Yikes: )

Skill varies between individuals as well so age is not the principal factor. My main disadvantage is having to go out and earn enough to pay my mortgage every day, then come home to a screaming wife and kids :D , so I only get a couple of hours on the PC!

The reason I got whupped online was the players who lurk online are much further into the game and have all the performance upgrades. I have got from stock, to street racing, to pro upgrades but still haven't got as far as extreme upgrades.

Maggy
26-03-2004, 00:53
As long as I don't mind getting frapped I play Halo with my 16 year old(though he doesn't want to anymore as I'm no challenge)and I'm 51 female which does make me somewhat odd.Quite enjoyed Serious Sam until it got repetitive.

I'm crap but I enjoy occasionally killing things .However I'm better at puzzle adventure games.Finished Broken Sword 3 on the XBox(which I bought for myself)recently.

Now I really must finish this game so go away. ;)

Incog.

Ramrod
26-03-2004, 10:02
fps's for me, I like the way they keep my reflexes up and improve my visual awarenes.

Emperordalek
26-03-2004, 10:28
Age sometimes has its advantages too, take driving games for instance. The young un's tend to go for the 'no brakes - just keep the accelerator pressed' attitude while the older gamers 'drive' the car.

Bugblatter
26-03-2004, 22:14
fps's for me, I like the way they keep my reflexes up and improve my visual awarenes.

You are still young!

MovedGoalPosts
26-03-2004, 23:08
Age sometimes has its advantages too, take driving games for instance. The young un's tend to go for the 'no brakes - just keep the accelerator pressed' attitude while the older gamers 'drive' the car.
Brake - you are supposed to do that. :confused: Surely that will take all the fun out of it , after all the faster you go the more spectacular the wipe out :erm:

Better start PGR2 all over again :(

Ramrod
27-03-2004, 00:04
You are still young!I know! I just want to stay that way :D

bopdude
27-03-2004, 17:26
I know! I just want to stay that way :D
LOL, eternal youth.... ( how many posts would you have then ) :D

As for on line games, must take a serious look at it soon, got three months free with my xbox and not touched it yet :Yikes: what a waste :pp

mrmassive
27-03-2004, 20:02
im 36 play some online games like bf1942 mainly play on bocage i make top 10 no problem but other games like raceIng ect FORGET IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macready
28-03-2004, 02:46
kids do react faster, but they dont think much tactically and actually about the maps their playing on and how to play them though I find, I play Counterstrike largely and a little bf1942 and am 23 years old :)

Alan Waddington
28-03-2004, 08:47
I'm now 40 :Yikes: & still play games occassionally on my PS2, but not online. My preferences are for driving (GT3 & WRC) and platformers (Jak & Daxter, Prince of Persia, Final Fantasy). I'm not really into FPS.

Bugblatter
03-04-2004, 19:41
Now up to seventh in the rankings and level three upgrades:D

Womble
14-04-2004, 23:40
I'm 37, used to play quake loads, now I play Urban Terror. Its a full mod using the quake engine. Faster than CS but way slower than Q3. There is a clan called UKV (UK Veterans) so we older gamers aren't alone!!!

Reddevil63
15-04-2004, 01:24
41 today and still playing games....keeps your brain ticking over. :)

Ramrod
15-04-2004, 09:36
Happy birthday m8. Long may you continue gaming :)

jonboy080269
15-04-2004, 21:48
Well, I am 35 and a counter strike addict.

And I like to think I hold my own against most players online.

zovat
15-04-2004, 22:05
Well, I am 35 and a counter strike addict.

And I like to think I hold my own against most players online.

that makes two of us - I play once a week or so (sometimes more if I am not busy in the evenings) and njoy the fact that you can watch these kids run into a room blasting, whilst you stand outside and let a grenade do the work :angel:

hawkseye000
15-04-2004, 23:42
bah 40 aint old! theres loads of 60+ year olds running round on America's Army re-living their days in service... and thats the truth
(so us teens just kill them all :angel: )

OldGeezer
16-04-2004, 08:34
bah 40 aint old! theres loads of 60+ year olds running round on America's Army re-living their days in service... and thats the truth
(so us teens just kill them all :angel: )

Damn, I need a new nickname :)