PDA

View Full Version : Ntl viewing card

blackthorn
13-07-2003, 17:13
My daughter who lives in Portsmouth, has the full package with Ntl.
She is coming north for 2 weeks to housesit for my other daughter who also has Ntl but only the minimum package.
Can daughter number1 (from Portsmouth) bring her viewing card with her and get the full package at daughter number2`s house.

kronas
13-07-2003, 17:16
no as far as i know each card is paired with the box so you can only use the card with the box it came with

blackthorn
13-07-2003, 17:19
OK thanks for quick reply, I`ll let her know.

kronas
13-07-2003, 17:20
no problem :)

KingPhoenix
13-07-2003, 17:25
We did the same sort of thing when we went to look after my fathers house, you can take the box and plug it into the cable at the other end, however as far as i am aware thats a no no.....

But like i said, we did it, no probs....

blackthorn
13-07-2003, 17:27
Now thats a good idea, I`ll tell her to pack it in the case.

Gogogo
13-07-2003, 17:44
Originally posted by blackthorn
Now thats a good idea, I`ll tell her to pack it in the case.

This may seem to be a silly question but wouldn't there have to be some compatabilty. Is the platform the same or is Portsmouth exCWC? north-west or whatever location is that original ntl? exCWC or what? Before you start moving STBs maybe someone could advise.

:spin:

Tristan
13-07-2003, 17:48
If you use the same box and viewing card in a different location served from the same headend, it should work with no bother.

Changing franchises will probably result in the box not functioning though.

Proppinupthebar
13-07-2003, 17:54
The box will not work outside of its own region, especially a Bromley box.

BubbleGum
14-07-2003, 00:55
My daughter who lives in Portsmouth, has the full package with Ntl.
She is coming north for 2 weeks to housesit for my other daughter who also has Ntl but only the minimum package.
Can daughter number1 (from Portsmouth) bring her viewing card with her and get the full package at daughter number2`s house.
That is really cheap :rofl: Why doesn't daughter number 2 upgrade her channels for daughter number one ?. Some people are tighter than a ducks arse.

shig
14-07-2003, 00:57
The digital box and nagra card are linked at the warehouse so should not work if you insert a different card into the stb

blackthorn
14-07-2003, 09:43
Thanks for all the replies, I will pass on all the info.
FYI, daughter number 2 is a single mother of 2 who doesnt work and cannot afford the full package.
Not everybody in this country has got a job and a secure life.
Some people might say (and yes I`ve heard people say this), that because she doesnt work, she shouldn`t have any form of digi channels, well as it happens I pay for the basic package for her as well as my own and I haven`t got a well paid job.
Conclusions shouldn`t be jumped to, just because she`s a single mother. I`m fed up of people saying that all single parents are lazy or scroungers or got themselves pregnant just to get a house.
I`m not going to go into the circumstances as to why she is a single parent and she is not lazy nor is she a cheapscate. She is a good mother who is bringing up 2 young children under difficult times.

Proppinupthebar
14-07-2003, 10:45
Originally posted by shig
The digital box and nagra card are linked at the warehouse so should not work if you insert a different card into the stb

They aren't linked in the warehouse, but they are indeed linked.

danielf
14-07-2003, 10:49
What's a viewing card???

Proppinupthebar
14-07-2003, 10:51
The smartcard.

danielf
14-07-2003, 10:53
What smartcard? I've got digital (base pack only), but I don't remember receiving any card, smart or stupid?

Proppinupthebar
14-07-2003, 11:00
If you have digital then you have a smartcard in your box, behind the flap. Its there from install, you don't recieve it later.

danielf
14-07-2003, 11:07
Ah, right. Cheers.

(I'll be checking my 'flap' when I come home).

Tristan
14-07-2003, 13:01
Originally posted by danielf
(I'll be checking my 'flap' when I come home).

I don't think I wanted to know that...

SMHarman
14-07-2003, 13:18
<snip>
I pay for the basic package for her as well as my own and I haven`t got a well paid job.
<snip>

You could upgrade the pack for your daughter and she could reimburse you.

She could downgrade her pack and should be no worse off.

Might be some overlap problems in terms of timing - I think you can make one change a billing period - perhaps part of the CLT can answer that, but this could be an easier soulution.

realobaidan
10-04-2006, 08:51
I have just been given a NTL Box but without the card. Would the NTL box work with Sky freesat card?

orangebird
10-04-2006, 09:05
I have just been given a NTL Box but without the card. Would the NTL box work with Sky freesat card?

No. And if I were you, I'd 'give' the box back. Only ntl 'give' boxes to people, as part of paid subscription, on a rental basis only.

Graham M
10-04-2006, 10:51
And as such are the property of NTL and noone's to Give away