This article shows you how to set up Outlook Express or Windows Mail (Vista users) to send and receive your ntlworld emails, as an alternative to webmail
. Outlook Express is a popular email client supplied with most Windows Operating Systems. Windows Vista comes with Windows Mail, which more or less has the same configuration options as Outlook Express. It is Outlook Express, its the name that has changed. Other alternative email clients exist and will have similar configuration options.
The steps below show you how to set up Outlook Express/Windows Mail on your main PC.
We assume that you have Outlook Express/Windows Mail installed.
- First of all you need to open Outlook Express/Windows Mail on your PC. There are two ways in which you can do this. The simplest way is to find the Outlook Express/WM icon on your desktop, and click it. Alternatively, you may click on the Start button located on your taskbar, then Programs and finally you will need to locate Outlook Express or Windows Mail and click on that. If a dialog box appears asking for your name, click cancel.
- When Outlook Express or Windows Mail has opened, locate and click on the Tools menu.
- A dropdown menu will appear. Click on Accounts.
- Now click on Add and then Mail.
- You will see a Display Name box. The name that you type in here will be visible to recipients of your emails. You may like to type your real name in this box, or you may wish to type another name.
- You now just need to click the Next button.
- You will now see an E-Mail Address box. Type the email address in here of the account that you wish to retrieve mail from. This must, obviously, be an email address that belongs to you.
- Click Next again.
- Now you need to enter the server names for your incoming and outgoing mail. For ntlworld email accounts, these are "pop.ntlworld.com" and "smtp.ntlworld.com". Enter these in the two boxes marked pop and smtp.
- Again, just click Next.
- You now need to place some information in the Account Name and Password boxes. Your account name is the name in front of the @ntlworld.com part of your email address. Enter your password.
- Please ensure that the Remember Password box is ticked and then click Next.
- You have now entered all of the information needed to set up an email account through Outlook Express.
- Click Finish, and then close the Internet Accounts window.
You are now able to send and receive emails through Outlook Express or Windows Mail. If you have any questions or queries, please feel free to ask them on our discussion forum area, where members of this site will be only too pleased to offer you help, advice and support.
Article originally posted by Mick