If you're running Windows XP and not acheiving the broadband speed you expect then your computer may need optimizing to work with your internet connection. Follow these steps in order to do this.
1. Go to www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
2. From that page download TCPOptimizer
3. Once it has downloaded, open it
4. Set the slider to 10000 if you're on 10mb, or 20000 if you're on 20mb or 50mb
5. Tick Modify all network adaptors
5. Click Optimal Settings
6. Apply the settings and restart.
These steps configure your computer to the optimal settings for your Virgin Media broadband internet connection.
PLEASE NOTE: This guide is for Windows XP computers ONLY it will not work in Windows Vista as Vista does it's own optimizing.