Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Horse Racing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Cable Forum Basement > Entertainment > Sports

Horse Racing

Old 15-04-2012, 07:58   #331
martyh
cf.mega poster

Services: crappy sky+ tv crappy BT internet and phone still got my VM mobile
martyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny stars
martyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Horse Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l have followed Horse racing for 30 years Martyh so l do know what l am talking about.
Den ,you are trying to attribute Human emotions to a dumb animal .You have no idea whatsoever how the horse is thinking or if it wants to run a race .The only reason a horse will run a race is because it has been trained to ,as you said ,they are bred to run ,they don't know any different ,they don't wake up in the ,morning and think "i would love to have run around a 2 mile course with really big high fences risking breaking legs or a heart attack" What they do is wake up and stare dumbly into space until they are told what to do

Terry Pratchett, Jingo
martyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2012, 08:13   #332
denphone
Still alive and smiling

Services: XL BB, 2 Tivo's, XL TV.
denphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered stars
denphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Den ,you are trying to attribute Human emotions to a dumb animal .You have no idea whatsoever how the horse is thinking or if it wants to run a race .The only reason a horse will run a race is because it has been trained to ,as you said ,they are bred to run ,they don't know any different ,they don't wake up in the ,morning and think "i would love to have run around a 2 mile course with really big high fences risking breaking legs or a heart attack" What they do is wake up and stare dumbly into space until they are told what to do
l think you will find that horses are not as dumb as you think they are Martyh and perhaps a visit to a stable or the races might change your view of why horses love to run and take part in races and you will also find that horse racing is one of the best attended sports in this country where many many people go to watch these races and enjoy watching these horses run.
Old 15-04-2012, 08:29   #333
richard1960
cf.mega poster

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
richard1960 has a bronze arrayrichard1960 has a bronze arrayrichard1960 has a bronze array
richard1960 has a bronze arrayrichard1960 has a bronze arrayrichard1960 has a bronze arrayrichard1960 has a bronze arrayrichard1960 has a bronze arrayrichard1960 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I can just imagine the olympics putting down two athletes due to the race being dangerous.. About time we put an end to this barbaric so called sport.. Any sport that puts an animal in danger shouldn't be allowed.
I would not necessarily ban it but major changes need to be made to the National Course still in my view there was an interesting debate about this on LBC James Max show this morning a caller rang in to say one horse would not go in the starting stalls so obviously did not want to run,to which James Max said how do you know what a dumb animal is thinking.

But when you hear people who are high up in the racing industry talk they say the horses enjoy it surely the same rule applies to them how can they also know what a dumb animal is thinking but this question is never asked of them.!

A quick look at the site Horse Race Death watch confirms most horses die or are put down over the jumps not on the flat so perhaps this needs to be looked at currently Horse Race Death Watch lists 816 horses destroyed/Killed since 2007 all listed almost exclusively over the jumps hardly any on the flat, now that is a carnage in all but name in any other walk of life.

As i said i am not for banning just for this area to be seriouly looked at and if necessary changes made.

Last edited by richard1960; 15-04-2012 at 08:44.
richard1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 08:33   #334
martyh
cf.mega poster

Services: crappy sky+ tv crappy BT internet and phone still got my VM mobile
martyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny stars
martyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
l think you will find that horses are not as dumb as you think they are Martyh and perhaps a visit to a stable or the races might change your view of why horses love to run and take part in races and you will also find that horse racing is one of the best attended sports in this country where many many people go to watch these races and enjoy watching these horses run.
Rubbish ,that is an assumption humans have taken.Horses do what they do because of instinct ,humans have taken that instinct and adapted it to suit themselves .Most domesticated animals will show affection (or what we call affection) to the person who lets them out of a box and feeds them ,my cat does that ,he runs as well ,but i don't think he would take kindly to being forced run a 2 mile steeple chase

Terry Pratchett, Jingo
martyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 09:27   #335
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!
3 Card Poker Champion, Aniki Pingpong Champion, Bowling Master Champion, Curveball Champion, Hexxagon Champion, Simon Champion, Sonic Champion, Bejeweled Champion, Jewel Champion, Skeet Shoot Champion

Julian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronze
Julian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronzeJulian is cast in bronze

I'm sure if 5% of the competitors in any other sport were killed during participation it would be stopped.

2010 London Marathon - 1800 deaths.
Old 15-04-2012, 18:40   #336
Pierre
Nil Status Nisi Optimum

Pierre has a nice shiny starPierre has a nice shiny starPierre has a nice shiny starPierre has a nice shiny star
Pierre has a nice shiny starPierre has a nice shiny starPierre has a nice shiny starPierre has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
Sadly, l find the Grand National to be cruel to the horses, if they are going to run this race there has to be stringent tests before the race, and the fences have to be lower.I strong feelings to treatment of the horses, and l know that horses love racing, but the National has always had its problems.
Nah, the fences should be higher..... with spikes.

And horses that refuse to jump should also be shot.
Old 15-04-2012, 19:50   #337
Kymmy

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Thoroughbred horses are born to race and they absolutely love racing and when l have visited some stables in the past these horses cannot wait to get to the races and run in their next race.
Born to race still does not equate to "knowing the risks involved in racing", as already been suggested humans understand the risks..

If you want to see horses running for the sake of them running then go to America or central Asia where you can still see horses running wild.. If you want to see horses running for the sake of your enjoyment and/or betting then go play with one of these please as we won't end up with horses being killed for someone else's pleasure..

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 20:02   #338
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Nah, the fences should be higher..... with spikes.

And horses that refuse to jump should also be shot.
I think jockeys should be allowed to use the whip more. On each other...
Old 15-04-2012, 21:22   #339
Pierre
Nil Status Nisi Optimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
I think jockeys should be allowed to use the whip more. On each other...
And wear more rubber
Old 15-04-2012, 21:38   #340
Maggy J
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,20 MB VM BB,VM landline.
Maggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden aura
Maggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden auraMaggy J has a golden aura

With all due respect this thread was originally set up for those who follow the sport of Horse Racing not a discussion on the safety elements of the sport.

Can I suggest that those who wish to continue with this discussion actually start a thread about it

Thank you in advance for your co-operation.
Old 16-04-2012, 05:39   #341
denphone
Still alive and smiling

denphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered stars
denphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered stars

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...x/1016198/top/

Leopardstown, Sunday

P.W. McGrath Memorial Ballysax Stakes (Group 3) 1m2f, 3yo

Quote:
LIGHT HEAVY provided trainer Jim Bolger with a third successive win inthe Ballysax Stakes as favourite and Investec Derby hope David Livingston failed to fire back in fourth.

Bolger sent out Banimpire to take the race 12 months ago after Puncher Clynch took the prize the year before
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...t/1016177/top/

Leopardstown, Sunday

Leopardstown 1,000 Guineas Trial Stakes (Group 3) (Fillies) 7f, 3yo

Quote:
HOMECOMING QUEEN caused an upset in the Classic trial, making every yard of the running before finding extra close home to deny hot favourite Fire Lily.

The winner, entered in both the English and Irish 1,000 Guineas, returned at 8-1 with Fire Lily filling the runner-up spot as the 7-4 favourite. Up, sent off at 9-2, was back in third.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...l/1016127/top/

Leopardstown, Sunday

2,000 Guineas Trial (Group 3) 1m, colts and geldings

Quote:
THE betting suggested this was a two-horse race, and so it proved with the odds-on Furner's Green comfortably seeing off second favourite Akeed Wafi in the four-runner 2,000 Guineas Trial at Leopardstown.

Vault, the Aidan O'Brien-trained stablemate of the winner, led the field at a good clip from Akeed Wafi followed by Furner's Green.
Well l think the simple fact is Ballydoyle have one big derby hope and that is Camelot as most of his other Derby hopes in my mind don't seem good enough.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...e/1016077/top/

Quote:
NOEL FEHILY is facing a prolonged spell on the sidelines after it was revealed he fractured his right leg in three places following the fall from State Of Play in Saturday's John Smith's Grand National.

Fehily underwent surgery on the injured leg on Sunday, although any indication as to how long he will be out of action has yet to be determined.

"He fractured his right leg in three places and has been operated on this morning," Fehily's agent Chris Broad said on Sunday. "I spoke to him yesterday and this morning before he had the operation and, all things considering, he was in good spirits. I wouldn't dream of asking how long he might be out for until we see how the operation has gone."
Lets wish him a speedy recovery as no one likes to get these type of injuries.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...016147/latest/

France, Sunday

Longchamp: Prix de Fontainebleau (Group 3) 1m, 3yo colts

Quote:
DRAGON PULSE (Mikel Delzangles/Gregory Benoist) collared Dabirsim in the final strides on his first start for his new trainer.

It had looked as though Dabirsim would secure a stylish win as he cantered into the lead and jockey Christophe Soumillon took several looks over his right and left shoulders.

But Dabirsim, who was unbeaten as a juvenile, was unable to hold off the late thrust of the winner and may have paid for pulling hard throughout the race.

"I'm not disappointed," said Soumillon, who was riding the dual Group 1 winner for the first time. "The horse was a bit keen in the early stages, and when I took the lead I thought he'd win very easily. When I asked the horse for an effort he was a little short, and put his head in the air. But I'm confident for the Poulains."
Well l think the question to be asked here is does the horse stay a true mile?

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...016125/latest/

France, Sunday

Longchamp: Prix de la Grotte (Group 3) 1m, 3yo fillies

Quote:
BEAUTY PARLOUR (Elie Lellouche/Christophe Soumillon) maintained her unbeated record in emphatic style with an eased down four-length success on Sunday.

A daughter of star Japanese stallion Deep Impact, Beauty Parlour picked up instantly when asked by Soumillion to catch leader Woven Lace before extending clear.
Very impressive.
Old 17-04-2012, 05:49   #342
denphone
Still alive and smiling

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/

Quote:
PIMPERNEL, Russelliana and Starscope have been installed as the 4-1 co-favourites for the Lanwades Stud Nell Gwyn Stakes at Newmarket on Wednesday by Paddy Power.

The trio are all among the outsiders for the Qipco 1,000 Guineas but an impressive success would cause their odds to tumble for the fillies' Classic.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...n/1016508/top/

Quote:
THE Roger Charlton-trained Top Offer, a best-priced 13-2 third favourite for the Qipco 2,000 Guineas with BetVictor, heads 16 entries for Saturday's Group 3 Classic trial at Newbury, the Aon Greenham Stakes.

A course winner last season, the son of Dansili pleased in a workout over 6f last weekend and Charlton said the plan was to run at Newbury unless ground conditions became testing.

"Top Offer will improve for this run but I'm certainly not saying he'll need it," said Charlton, who trains Top Offer for Frankel's owner Khalid Abdullah.
Old 18-04-2012, 05:27   #343
denphone
Still alive and smiling

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...n/1016768/top/

Quote:
MOST IMPROVED, the subject of a major ante-post gamble for the Qipco 2,000 Guineas, will get the chance to prove his credentials in the Group 3 Novae Bloodstock Insurance Craven Stakes at Newmarket on Thursday.

The Brian Meehan-trained colt was as big as 33-1 for the Classic, but is now a general 4-1 second favouriteon the back of glowing reports at home. He will have the assistance of Kieren Fallon, who has already been confirmed for the ride in the
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...016924/latest/

France, Tuesday

Saint-Cloud: Prix Penelope (Group 3) 1m2½f, 3yo fillies

Quote:
WALDLERCHE (Andre Fabre/Maxime Guyon) showed class and a little courage to maintain her 100 per cent record on soft ground which continued to absorb more rain as the day progressed.

A half-sister by Monsun to Ladbrokes St Leger winner Masked Marvel, she was adding to her sole success at two.
Old 19-04-2012, 05:08   #344
denphone
Still alive and smiling

Quote:
FRANKEL will resume cantering this weekend and could still make the JLT Lockinge Stakes at Newbury next month, trainer Sir Henry Cecil said on Wednesday.

Teddy Grimthorpe, racing manager to owner Khalid Abdullah, had earlier confirmed the superstar colt had passed a leg scan on Wednesday following last week's injury scare.

And Cecil, speaking from Newmarket, issued a positive bulletin about the unbeaten four-year-old's fitness.

Cecil said: "He was scanned this morning - very thoroughly - and everything with his sheath and his tendon is fine.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...l/1017452/top/

Newmarket, Wednesday

Blue Square Feilden Stakes (Listed) 1m1f, 3yo

Quote:
STIPULATE proved the class act here as he burst clear inside the final furlong for a decisive win. The Sir Henry Cecil-trained colt scored at 8-1, ahead of long-time front-runner Mister Music.

The four-and-a-half-length victory was a further boost for the Cecil stable following the news that Frankel has been given the green light to resume training.

Hopes will be high that Stipulate, like Frankel owned by Prince Khalid Abdullah, can go on to better things after showing a good mix of speed and stamina.

Heis entered in the Betfred Dante Stakes at York next month, although Cecil indicated there were other options for a colt who looks more suited to 1m2f than 1m4f.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...s/1017427/top/

Newmarket, Thursday

Lanwades Stud Nell Gwyn Stakes (Group 3) 7f, 3yo, fillies

Quote:
ESENTEPE lowered the colours of some better-fancied rivals when she made most of the running to score for trainer Richard Hannon and jockey Pat Dobbs.

The 28-1 winner disputed the lead with Excelette for most of the contest but she moved clear inside the final two furlongs before she held off the strong challenge of Nayarra close to the finish.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...d/1017198/top/

Quote:
DISCOURSE took an important step in her preparation for the Qipco 1,000 Guineas when she covered nine furlongs of the Rowley Mile at a steady pace on Wednesday morning.

The unbeaten filly, second favourite behind Maybe for the fillies’ classic, drew away from two galloping companions when she was taken to the front by jockey Antioco Murgia approaching the final furlong. Murgia gave the Street Cry filly a couple of slaps to keep her up to her work
Old 20-04-2012, 05:47   #345
denphone
Still alive and smiling

Quote:
ACTION on and off the track on Thursday saw a reorganisation at the head of the market for the Qipco 2,000 Guineas with Trumpet Major leaping to prominence and ante-post gamble Most Improved sliding out.

The chances of Most Improved lining up at Newmarket on May 5 dimmed a little on Thursday morning when he was found to be "one tenth" lame on his off-fore by trainer Brian Meehan, who pulled the Iraj Parvizi-owned colt out of the Novae Bloodstock Insurance Craven Stakes in the afternoon.

Ladbrokes pushed the Dewhurst third out to 8-1 (from 4), while Paddy Power eased the Lawman colt to 11-2 (from 4) for Guineas.

In the absence of Most Improved, Trumpet Major was the impressive winner of the Craven and is as short as 6-1 (from 25) with Coral and a general 10-1 chance for the race having been 33-1 in the morning. Ladbrokes are biggest at 12-1.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...d/1018067/top/

Newmarket, Thursday

Novae Bloodstock Insurance Craven Stakes (Group 3) 1m, 3yo colts & geldings

Quote:
TRUMPET MAJOR scooted home to win the Craven Stakes for Richard Hannon and Ryan Moore by five lengths from stablemate Crius.

Moore's mount, who returned at 9-2, needed to be rousted along after halfway but picked up in stunning fashion to storm clear and put himself firmly in the Qipco 2,000 Guineas frame.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...h/1018095/top/

Newmarket, Thursday

Weatherbys Earl of Sefton Stakes (Group 3) 1m1f, 4yo+

Quote:
QUESTIONING edged out favourite Twice Over in a head-bobbing finish at Newmarket on Thursday.

A stewards' inquiry was called into possible interference between the first and second home but the placings remained unaltered.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...s/1018041/top/

Newmarket, Thursday

Connaught Access Flooring Abernant Stakes (Listed) 6f, 3yo+

Quote:
MAYSON showed a searing turn of foot to dispose of some useful rivals in the hands of Paul Hanagan for trainer Richard Fahey.

David Armstrong's four-year-old, sent off at 4-1, was always prominent and he stretched clear as he met the rising ground on the Rowley Mile to leave Jimmy Styles (15-2) and Internationaldebut (25-1) trailing in his wake.

Mayson will now go for the Duke of York Stakes, for which he was cut to 10-1 (from 20) with Ladbrokes.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...n/1018016/top/

Newmarket, Thursday

£250,000 Tattersalls Millions 3-Y-O Trophy 1m2f, 3yo

Quote:
RICHARD HANNON and Pat Dobbs combined again at the Craven meeting with the hard-fought victory of Rougemont in the valuable sales race.

Having landed the Nell Gwyn Stakes on Wednesday withEsentepe, the pair again tasted success in the £250,000 sales race.

It was also a landmark success for owner Julie Wood as Rougemont was her 100thwinner.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...s/1017892/top/

Quote:
THE racing bug has bitten Manchester United and England striker Wayne Rooney, who along with wife Coleen has purchased two more juveniles to have in training with Tom Dascombe.

Rooney, team-mate of prominent owner-breeder Michael Owen, made his first raid into ownership this year when buying a colt by Bahamian Bounty, which he subsequently named Switcharooney and placed into training with Dascombe, who trains from Owen's stable in Cheshire.