I wanted to put together this to compliment a couple of threads that are around about how to go about flashing your Virgin DIR-615 D2 to dd-wrt firmware. There are other guides about the web - if you'd rather use them then fine
I'm not explaining why you would want to do this so if your happy with what you've got, don't go messing. For those that want to read more about dd-wrt read up at http://www.dd-wrt.com
I've done this twice and both times have been fine but you do this at your own risk. I will not take responsibility if you mess it up! Note I have only tested it on the Virgin supplied DIR-615 running the D2 firmware - No idea if it will work on others. Also note this guide may be outdated with new firmware versions but it work for me and I am happy with it.
You will need two files to do this as you will be flashing the router twice:
Do not flash your firmware whilst connected via Wireless. Always connect via a cable!
Your IP addressing may be different to mine. Know what yours is before proceeding.
1. Connect to your router via LAN cable
2. Open your router homepage (eg http://192.168.1.1
) and log in
3. Select Firmware Upgrade within the Application menu
4. Use the file: dlink-revb-factory-webflash.bin (NOTE: Ensure you use the FACTORY one)
5. Wait about 3 minutes whilst the new firmware is uploaded and the router restarts (NOTE: Do not interrupt this process)
5a. Set your network card to the following IP settings:
IP Address: 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
6. Open you new firmware homepage (NOTE: this will be http://192.168.1.1
7. You should have the standard dd-wrt page. Create a username and password and save changes.
8. Select Firmware Upgrade within the Administration menu
9. Select the second file: dir615d2-revb-ddwrt-webflash.bin
10. Again wait until this has finished uploading and your router restarted (NOTE: Do not interrupt this process)
11. Change IP Addressing back to 'Automatic'
You should now have a fully functional dd-wrt on your router. Enjoy!
Remember to run through configuration on how to connect to the Internet and setup your Wireless Connection again.
12. Connect to your shiny new dd-wrt firmware (http://192.168.1.1
) and configure to your hearts content!
If you need any help using dd-wrt refer to the dd-wrt homepage or post here and I'll pop on now and then and try to help.