I thought I would post here the most common error codes in Outlook Express and how to resolve them.
- invalid username - check the username you have typed. ntl usernames are form firstname.lastname@example.org
, and always in lower case. So if your email address is email@example.com
, your username would be monkeybreath
invalid password - check the password that you are using is correct. Passwords must be at least 6 characters, and contain at least one number. All letters will be in lower case. Passwords setup by default are in the form letter then 9 numbers, eg w055478544 .
Already Connected - you are either logged onto the account from another computer, or the previous disconnect was improper and the account has been "poplocked". You can either wait for the "poplock" to time out, or have someone shell into the mailserver and kill the mail task running on your account. This normally only happens with accounts that have UNIX shells
message download incomplete - This is one of two things:
1. corruption of the pop3uidl file. Disconnect from the internet and close all programs. Search for the file pop3uidl and delete it. Reboot, reconnect to the internet and try again.
2. You may have a corrupt or a very large file attachment on the mailserver. Large file attachments, mail that are missing headers, or mail that do not conform to the mail RFC's can cause this. To check this either check webmail (http://webmail.ntlworld.com
) or telnet the mail server (telnet pop.ntlworld.com 110)
For more information see here
if you are using a Norton anti-virus/ firewall software.
- Invalid recipient - check the recipients email address is correct.
- Login failed- check your username and password
- not IMAP server - check that the server you have specified is imap.ntlworld.com
- unexpected disconnection - try reconnecting again
SMTP server rejected sender - you are trying to send with an address that is rejected by the SMTP server; check that you have entered the details correctly and you are trying to send using the correct SMTP server. This is often caused by having the incorrect address in the reply-to address.
- Unknown error code - in other words, something is wrong but the SMTP server cannot work out why. Usually a server problem.
- No space to store messages / Storage limit exceeded - These are caused by server errors, self explanatory really.
General error codes:0x800CCC15
Windows socket error - on windows 95/98 follow the instructions here
to fix this or for windows 2k/XP follow instructions here
/ - cannot find server / cannot connect to server - check the server names are correct:
incoming: pop.ntlworld.com or 22.214.171.124 or if you have setup an IMAP account: imap.ntlworld.com or 126.96.36.199
outgoing: smtp.ntlworld.com or 188.8.131.52
The server may not be responding because it is offline - try pinging the server address and check you get replies. If so, check that a firewall is not blocking your internet connection. The executable for Outlook Express is Msimn.exe.
- Timeout- Self explanatory! Either the server is having problems. Or a firewall is blocking the connection.
Hope this is useful to some... maybe it can be stickied or moved the the knowledgebase as appropriate?