Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G


You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 18:21   #1
m419
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
Posts: 1,512
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Ofcom is slowing the roll out of 4G by delaying Everything Everywhere from rolling out 4G on a rapid mass scale. Ofcom is concerned that it will be operating as a monopoly and has a consultation running and investigating it. Ofcom interfering in things it shouldn't is actually holding the country back.

Everything Everywhere is a 50/50 joint venture between France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom and still trade under seperate brands which means they should not be treated as one big company, futhermore, Virgin Media and MBNL cases, 3 customers also use the same network. It is down to Telefonica-O2 and Vodafone to invest in there own networks and hurry up. Therefore in response to the consultation I made clear that a licence should be granted to Everything Everywhere .

UK Broadband, are to start services in Southwark in September, perhaps Vodafone should stop spending money acquiring profitless companies like Cable and Wireless and start investing in 4G, they haven't even completed 3G let alone start off 4G.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2012, 19:49   #2
Stuart
Cable Forum Team
Cable Forum Team
 
Stuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sarf east Luhndun.
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 25,627
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Ofcom is slowing the roll out of 4G by delaying Everything Everywhere from rolling out 4G on a rapid mass scale. Ofcom is concerned that it will be operating as a monopoly and has a consultation running and investigating it. Ofcom interfering in things it shouldn't is actually holding the country back.

Everything Everywhere is a 50/50 joint venture between France Telecom and Deutsche Telekom and still trade under seperate brands which means they should not be treated as one big company, futhermore, Virgin Media and MBNL cases, 3 customers also use the same network. It is down to Telefonica-O2 and Vodafone to invest in there own networks and hurry up. Therefore in response to the consultation I made clear that a licence should be granted to Everything Everywhere .

UK Broadband, are to start services in Southwark in September, perhaps Vodafone should stop spending money acquiring profitless companies like Cable and Wireless and start investing in 4G, they haven't even completed 3G let alone start off 4G.
For a start, regardless of how many names they trade under, Everything Everywhere is one company (they would not have gone to the bother and expense of merging T mobile and Orange if they hadn't intended to operate as one company). Monopolies are not good for anyone, least of all the consumer.

Second thing, O2 is currently trialling 4g in various areas (the London trial finished, but I believe they are trying it elsewhere), and I'd be staggered if Vodafone were not trying it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:45   #3
m419
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
Posts: 1,512
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Everything starts off as a monopoly and anyway it will be for a short while only, Cable TV has always been a monopoly, BT residential telephone services was a monopoly under private ownership from 1984 till 1994 and in some areas later than that, Mercury 131 was a joke so I wouldn't even classify that as a successful rival. And Vodafone you will be waiting a long time for that to happen, they are busy trying to takeover Cable and Wireless Worldwide, a useful tool for Vodafone 4G
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 21:43   #4
Hom3r
All true..Except the lies
 
Hom3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 45
Services: 1TB Tivo, 1 V+ Box, 1 V Box, SHub 120Mb. HTC One (M7), 2TB WD NAS & Cuddly Toy
Posts: 12,711
Hom3r has a nice shiny starHom3r has a nice shiny starHom3r has a nice shiny starHom3r has a nice shiny starHom3r has a nice shiny star
Hom3r has a nice shiny starHom3r has a nice shiny starHom3r has a nice shiny star
Re: Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Whenever 4G comes along I doubt the iPad 3 will not be able to use it
__________________
Twitter Facebook

My Blog
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 21:45   #5
Graham M
Cable Forum Team
 
Graham M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Poole, Dorset
Age: 29
Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Posts: 13,373
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

By the time we see 4g the latest ipad will have been surpassed once or twice in generation. Anyway at least I would imagine.
__________________
Desktop: Intel i7 SandyBridge 2600k 3.4GHz @ 4.7GHz - 8GB DDR3 - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB - OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 23:16   #6
Stuart
Cable Forum Team
Cable Forum Team
 
Stuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sarf east Luhndun.
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 25,627
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Everything starts off as a monopoly and anyway it will be for a short while only, Cable TV has always been a monopoly, BT residential telephone services was a monopoly under private ownership from 1984 till 1994 and in some areas later than that, Mercury 131 was a joke so I wouldn't even classify that as a successful rival. And Vodafone you will be waiting a long time for that to happen, they are busy trying to takeover Cable and Wireless Worldwide, a useful tool for Vodafone 4G
How do you know that the other networks aren't upgrading their networks now? The fact they don't currently have licences doesn't mean they can't install the hardware. O2, for instance, is currently in the middle of the largest trial of 4g in the country.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2012, 19:22   #7
m419
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
Posts: 1,512
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads
Re: Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
How do you know that the other networks aren't upgrading their networks now? The fact they don't currently have licences doesn't mean they can't install the hardware. O2, for instance, is currently in the middle of the largest trial of 4g in the country.
Of course, you're very right there they need to test the technology out before they roll out anything and O2 for one have been testing it out in the slough area for some time, but obviously they are behind otherwise Ofcom wouldn't be worried about a monopoly forming, I've also heard a rumour that the iphone 5 maybe 4G compatible but do you think this is true??? I very much doubt it.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 14:51   #8
Ignitionnet
MSc student and Pro PITA
 
Ignitionnet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 36
Posts: 10,871
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ofcom slowing down the rollout of 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Whenever 4G comes along I doubt the iPad 3 will not be able to use it
It won't, different frequency plans.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Google Search




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:41.


Server: titan.cableforum.co.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2