Design questions: Ingress/rack/cinema
I am sketching out the cabling design for a 17m wide house which has an equipment hub (ethernet switch, server, patch panel for wired network etc) on the second floor at one end, and a TV/cinema room on the ground floor at the other end of the house. It's probably a 30m cable run between these two locations, at a guess.
I would greatly appreciate input from this experienced group on what may be possible (subject to installer visit of course).
1. Which is the better option:
- Put the VM box in the equipment hub, run coax down to the cinema for the TiVo
- Put the VM box and the TiVo in the equipment hub, run HDMI and an IR extender down to the cinema
- Put the VM box and the TiVo in the cinema, run ethernet up to the equipment hub.
I would prefer the first or second option because it puts the equipment into my rack where I can put it on a UPS - so I don't lose broadband if there's a power failure.
Which of these would be feasible/best?
2. If I put the VM box in the equipment hub, it will be on the second floor. What happens with cable ingress? I don't really want the cable terminated internally on the ground floor. Will they terminate externally and allow us to run a cable up the outside wall to the second floor? Or will they run this for us and terminate inside the top floor?
Thanks for your help.