Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Telephony Nightmare!!


You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service

Telephony Nightmare!!
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2010, 14:04   #1
Rao Vantika
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hove, East Sussex
Services: Tivo: XL Phone: L Broadband: L
Posts: 13
Rao Vantika is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Telephony Nightmare!!

Hi,


I've been having major problems with Virgin Media this last month or so. Here's what has happened up to now.


7th May 2010. I signed up on-line for Virgin Media for a telephone line and cable TV, this was for my elderly mother who was due to move in to a flat in sheltered accommodation w/c 17 May. I opted for self installation as the wiring was present in the flat. The ordering process was straight forward and a date of 10th May was given for delivery of the equipment. Fair enough. I then received three separate e-mails from "Theteam" at 13:10 containing general information but nothing to indicate my order had been successful so later in the day I phoned sales and was told they couldn't find my order and I would have to start again!


I duly signed up with the agent and was told I did not qualify for self installation after all (why?) and it would cost me £35.00 and not only that the install would not take place until 12 May 2010. I was not impressed but reluctantly agreed.


The engineer turned up on time on the day and got the TV going without a hitch, the telephone was, a different story.


He said that there were no spare pairs in the cabinet so service could not be provided. After many phone calls to your 0845 number costing many pennies each It was agreed the line would go live a couple of days later, so I plugged a phone in and guess what? no dial tone, the number I had been given was ringing though when I tried it from my mobile. A week later an engineer turned up to do the work and the line was now working, for now.


Fast forward to early June and the line became very crackly, conversations could not be carried out and Mum had to resort to using her mobile, calls into the home phone auto-answered after one ring and the crackling continued. Once I was sure it was not the telephone instrument (I tried another) I contacted faults, a tech was booked for four days later, four days!!


No one arrived on the Tuesday and it was Friday again before an engineer showed up, said it was the Socket so changed it, seemed to work so he left. Two hours later it's gone again!!


I telephoned later that day and was told there would need to be some construction and I would get a phone call on my mobile later that day, guess what no call. I phoned up again yesterday only to be told by the faults bloke that it is an area fault, I was absolutely fuming by now.


So, where are we upto? I've got a useless phone line which I've been paying for from day one as well as £35.00 installation which is just not fair.


No one seems to know if and when the line may be fixed. I can't believe the service I have received. The billing department are on the ball though, I got my £99 bill bang on time, not itemised though, I did ask for an itemised bill.


I don't know which way to turn now. BT, Talk Talk? can they be as bad?


Thanks for reading.
Rao Vantika is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2010, 14:12   #2
Kymmy
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,682
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Telephony Nightmare!!

So you believe £35 installation isn;t fair for work that had to be done?? Not everyone can get a self install and as you see by the telephone issue self install would simply not have worked.



As far as your line not working get onto CS and have a moan, they will probably issue a partial refund for the phone line..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 14:18   #3
Rao Vantika
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hove, East Sussex
Services: Tivo: XL Phone: L Broadband: L
Posts: 13
Rao Vantika is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Telephony Nightmare!!

>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
So you believe £35 installation isn;t fair for work that had to be done??


I do because of all the hassell caused.

>Not everyone can get a self install and as you see by the telephone issue self install would simply not have >worked.

They didn't know that at the time when they first offered it.

>As far as your line not working get onto CS and have a moan, they will probably issue a partial refund for the >phone line..
Tried that no joy.

Last edited by Rao Vantika; 22-06-2010 at 14:20. Reason: edit post
Rao Vantika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 14:24   #4
Kymmy
.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,682
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Telephony Nightmare!!

Not hassle, just facts of the job..

or do you expect life to be perfect?

Just about everyone has to pay the install charge, they've bent over backwards to free up a line for you and now you have a secondary fault over a month later and not associated with the initial install. Also the fault described sounds like it's intermitant and probably a pain to track down, yet you moan at the length of time it takes for an engineer to come. If you wanted a 6 hour response time then pay the extra and get a business line..

Yes a fully working phone line would be great but give the guys a chance, they are only human with restricted time to get round all the calls

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 15:07   #5
Rao Vantika
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hove, East Sussex
Services: Tivo: XL Phone: L Broadband: L
Posts: 13
Rao Vantika is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Telephony Nightmare!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Not hassle, just facts of the job..

or do you expect life to be perfect?

Just about everyone has to pay the install charge, they've bent over backwards to free up a line for you and now you have a secondary fault over a month later and not associated with the initial install. Also the fault described sounds like it's intermitant and probably a pain to track down, yet you moan at the length of time it takes for an engineer to come. If you wanted a 6 hour response time then pay the extra and get a business line..

Yes a fully working phone line would be great but give the guys a chance, they are only human with restricted time to get round all the calls

I accept that faults do happen but it is the way I have been delt with that I have a problem with.

Engineer showed up two days later then the appointment unannounced. say I make a doctors appointment for Monday morning, is it ok with you if I arrive on Wednesday?

What about the promised call backs that never happen?

And the fact that no one knows if and when the fault will be fixed?

And as for the install, don't you think they should have known they had no lines before booking or do you think the agent was only after hes commison?

And by the way, the cynic in me thinks they installed a dodgy pair just so they wouldn't lose the sale, funny it went so soon isn't it?

And one last thing, the fault is no longer intermittent it's now permanent.
Rao Vantika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 15:53   #6
theoldbill
Guest
 
Services: 100mb VM (R27T2) & 2x 8mb Ipstream MAX dsl (Plusnet, IDnet)
Posts: n/a
Re: Telephony Nightmare!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
they've bent over backwards to free up a line for you

So - it's the customer's fault they accepted his order without checking for capacity? I guess they're so used to oversubscribing on the broadband side they forgot about the old copper pairs for the sake of getting the sale.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 18:41   #7
Digital Fanatic
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Liverpool
Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Posts: 8,384
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Re: Telephony Nightmare!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Vantika View Post
I accept that faults do happen but it is the way I have been delt with that I have a problem with.

Engineer showed up two days later then the appointment unannounced. say I make a doctors appointment for Monday morning, is it ok with you if I arrive on Wednesday?

What about the promised call backs that never happen?

And the fact that no one knows if and when the fault will be fixed?

And as for the install, don't you think they should have known they had no lines before booking or do you think the agent was only after hes commison?

And by the way, the cynic in me thinks they installed a dodgy pair just so they wouldn't lose the sale, funny it went so soon isn't it?

And one last thing, the fault is no longer intermittent it's now permanent.
The cab was probably borderline at capacity and therefore hadn't flagged when booking the order on, to be fair.

They wouln't install a "dodgy pair" just to get a sale.. as that would go against the tech if you booked a fault call soon after.

Once you are all back up and working (and I know it's currently unknown when) speak to Customer Care and they will refund the time you've been without a working line.

Sounds like we would have been better just not connecting you to a 'phone line in that particular cabinet.

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldbill View Post
So - it's the customer's fault they accepted his order without checking for capacity? I guess they're so used to oversubscribing on the broadband side they forgot about the old copper pairs for the sake of getting the sale.
Not true... the cab was probably "almost full" but may need some work on it to increase capacity.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Google Search




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:50.


Server: titan.cableforum.co.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2