Originally Posted by loonytoon
I just installed a new modem so I can tell you now:
1. Unscrew the coax cable and unplug your old modem before you get on the phone.
2. Dial 151 and go through the steps
3. Get them to activate the new modem with the MAC code that's on the box
4. Then you listen to some nice music while on hold as they make some changes
5. They'll then tell you to plug the modem in at the mains
6. Once you confirm this, they'll tell you to insert the coax cable
7. Confirm that the Sync and Ready lights are lit up
8. Reboot your router if you're using one
9. Wait about 5-10 mins and you should be able to get online
As far as I know they're only sending out 256 modems which they say will support 50Mb/s
Virgin Media has started rolling out its new standard modem across the network (ex-NTL areas currently, ex-Telewest areas from summer 2008). The model is the Ambit 256 modem which supports up to Docsis 2.0 with up to a 42Mbps downstream data rate
. This is not the modem for the forthcoming 50mb trial and is not Docsis 3 ready. The modem is the follow on from the most recent 255 model supplied across ex-NTL area's of the network. The modem will only support Ethernet connections and is designed to utilise the plug and play aspects of its DHCP network to provide "CD-less" installs. This modem will also form the basis of all "Quick Start" self installs across the network from the end of summer 2008.