Re: Router advice needed!
I have just seen the NTL/Linksys web site it's nice to see that the web site is in frames. I had a look to see about a firmware upgrade for my Linksys BEFSR81 router.
They do have a firmware up-grade Firmware Date : 5/19/2004 the one it came shipped with is 2.44.2, Dec 13 2002 To upgrade or not to upgrade as its not broke!! but it reports it fixes:
1. Added Multicast IGMP Proxy function
2. Added Filter Internet NAT Redirection option to disable local LAN users from accessing port forwarded services in the router
3. Added CGI string attacks prevention
4. Fixed UPnP issue with Windows XP SP2
5. Fixed BOOTP response to DHCP server
6. Modified DHCP server to fill the siaddr to the server address.
7. NAT-T issue. Linux will reply the long packet echo reply out of order.
8. Modified MTU/MRU response.
9. Modified Support PPPoE/L2TP/PPTP fragmentation
10. Modified RFC 3360. TCP RST handling
11. Fixed buffer leakage bug.
12. Added the DHCP option 55 support.
13. Added Filter IDENT(Port 113) to block that port from port scan.
14. Fixed DHCP lease time being too large will cause the router to request IP every 1 min
15. Fixed port forwarding disabled will still allow access through the WAN
16. Fixed fast web upgrade displaying correctly in web browsers
17. Modified PPTP max MTU size from 1400 to 1460 When enable PPTP or PPPoE WAN connection type that MTU won't be enable automatically.
18. Fixed remote port number not working correctly
19. Fixed multicast UDP fragment packets (Media server in WAN) from the WAN will cause the router to reboot
20. Fixed Cisco response VPN pass-through (UDP+ESP) packets connection to disconnect
21. Fixed DNS will not query if DMZ is enabled
22. Added support system information page
23. Modified MSN L2L for proper support for 4.7 and 5.0 connect.
Advise please, has anybody else up-dated on the BEFSR81 router