Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power risk

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Cable Forum Basement > Current Affairs

UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power risk

Old 15-03-2012, 19:33   #76
martyh
cf.mega poster

Services: crappy sky+ tv crappy BT internet and phone still got my VM mobile
martyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny stars
martyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny stars
Re: UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
To tell you the truth I don't know. Maybe that report is talking about early models, because I've seen some turning in very high winds.
No it is a fact ,there are serious limitations with wind turbines in high winds simply because of the enormous stresses generated even at operational speeds .That is not to say they don't serve a purpose though ,they can supplement a small percentage of the national grid but will never replace traditional power stations as nuclear generation can do and it is very short sighted of any government to think so

Terry Pratchett, Jingo
martyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-03-2012, 19:39   #77
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: UK nuclear plans 'put energy in French hands'Government plans for nuclear power r

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
No it is a fact ,there are serious limitations with wind turbines in high winds simply because of the enormous stresses generated even at operational speeds .That is not to say they don't serve a purpose though ,they can supplement a small percentage of the national grid but will never replace traditional power stations as nuclear generation can do and it is very short sighted of any government to think so
Which is why we need to explore alternatives, like wave pawer, tidal power, geothermal, etc...

Do you know how much of the UK could be made uninhabitable by a disaster at one of our nuclear power stations? Where would the population from that area go??
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 19:56   #78
martyh
cf.mega poster

martyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny stars
martyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny starsmartyh has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Which is why we need to explore alternatives, like wave pawer, tidal power, geothermal, etc...

Do you know how much of the UK could be made uninhabitable by a disaster at one of our nuclear power stations? Where would the population from that area go??
Indeed we do need to explore alternatives i agree ,but we need new sources of power generation now not in 20-30 yrs or more .Actually we needed it 20 yrs ago but the governments of the time didn't see the urgency .Serious research should have been done on tidal ,wind ,solar, etc long before now and maybe then we wouldn't be stuck with a half developed technology that cannot generate our power requirements and we wouldn't be faced with the risk vs reward choice we now face with nuclear power.I agree that a accident on the scale of chernobyl would be catastrophic for the UK but ,because of our shortsightedness we have have i feel left ourselves with no other choice .

Terry Pratchett, Jingo
Old 15-03-2012, 20:16   #79
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Indeed we do need to explore alternatives i agree ,but we need new sources of power generation now not in 20-30 yrs or more .Actually we needed it 20 yrs ago but the governments of the time didn't see the urgency .Serious research should have been done on tidal ,wind ,solar, etc long before now and maybe then we wouldn't be stuck with a half developed technology that cannot generate our power requirements and we wouldn't be faced with the risk vs reward choice we now face with nuclear power.I agree that a accident on the scale of chernobyl would be catastrophic for the UK but ,because of our shortsightedness we have have i feel left ourselves with no other choice .
Apart from the fact that we still have plenty of coal
Old 15-03-2012, 20:27   #80
martyh
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Apart from the fact that we still have plenty of coal
which is getting harder to get as this proves

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...?newsfeed=true

Terry Pratchett, Jingo
Old 15-03-2012, 20:46   #81
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
which is getting harder to get as this proves

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...?newsfeed=true
There were loads of pits that were closed down by Maggie, that still had loads of coal left.

She destroyed the British coal industry because she wanted to destroy the NUM.
Old 15-03-2012, 20:54   #82
martyh
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There were loads of pits that were closed down by Maggie, that still had loads of coal left.

She destroyed the British coal industry because she wanted to destroy the NUM.
I'm not going to get into a argument about the rights and wrongs of pit closures suffice it say in the hear and now re opening pits isn't an option that can be seriously considered for a multitude of reasons

Terry Pratchett, Jingo
Old 15-03-2012, 21:10   #83
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm not going to get into a argument about the rights and wrongs of pit closures suffice it say in the hear and now re opening pits isn't an option that can be seriously considered for a multitude of reasons
I've got no intention of getting into an argument about it. I'm just saying that there is plenty of coal still there.
Old 15-03-2012, 21:27   #84
martyh
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I've got no intention of getting into an argument about it. I'm just saying that there is plenty of coal still there.
which is effectively un useable so therefore not an option worth considering

Terry Pratchett, Jingo
Old 15-03-2012, 22:03   #85
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
which is effectively un useable so therefore not an option worth considering
Well that's another discussion entirely