Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Apple iPad Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

The Apple iPad Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 14:41   #421
qasdfdsaq
cf. mega noob

qasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze array
qasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze array
Re: The New iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think the screen is certainly better....
I don't. Contrast and colours are more important to me than the biggest pixel count.

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
On the other hand, the screen and processor are still way in excess of most people's requirements. I've said this before and I'll say it again - the vital statistics simply aren't vital. Apple isn't catering to the market for nerds who care about who has the biggest numbers. It's catering to the market where users value style and simplicity.
I value style and simplicity too. So I value the simplicity of things I need such as tethering, VOIP, and all my existing media files just working out of the box on the competition whereas on an iDevice I have to download additional apps or even root my device and void the warranty. Oh and lets not forget the simplicity of all my existing SIMs just working without having to slice them down or sign up for yet another additional mobile contract..

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If I ever run low on space all I need to do is remove apps I am not currently needing as I can easily redownload from iCloud later.
If I ever run low on space I could delete apps and redownload them later just as easily. But I don't have to because I won't run out of space.

Quote:
Also the processor is fast enough and powerful enough for what peoplewill use the device for. It will even allow you to edit photos up to 19MP with no issues using the new iPhoto app.
So why are you "impressed" and want to upgrade because of the faster processor, if you're saying it's already good enough? If Apple make a faster device, you want it because you're impressed it's faster. If someone else makes an equally faster device, you rubbish it because your Apple device is already "fast enough". Your logic confounds me.

---------- Post added at 14:39 ---------- Previous post was at 14:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You have a smartphone with a 9 inch screen - wow!!!
No, I have a smartphone with a 4.3" screen. If the only thing that made a screen better was it's size, then we should all be buying these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1NyZRX_Tk

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
and with higher res than 2048x1538 lol
Erm.. what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Apple isn't catering to the market for nerds who care about who has the biggest numbers.
So instead of using better quality screen technology, they're pushing ridiculous pixel counts... because?

Like I said, I'm more concerned by the quality of the pixels than the number of them.
Fully customizeable dd-wrt/openwrt routing engine

Last edited by qasdfdsaq; 08-03-2012 at 14:52.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2012, 14:51   #422
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appeal
jb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appeal
Re: The Apple iPad Thread

Hopefully some people can grab some cheap second hand ipad2's
Old 08-03-2012, 14:57   #423
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Send a message via Skype™ to Chris

That's how I got my ipad1. . Mine was sold on eBay as used, but when it arrived it was brand new and boxed. 64gb wifi and 3g. I won the auction at £360 including delivery.
Old 08-03-2012, 15:07   #424
Damien
-
Cable Forum Team

Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Like I said, I'm more concerned by the quality of the pixels than the number of them.
A tablet is different from a phone, they address different concerns. You need a bigger screen for that. The quality of the existing iPad display is good, the new one looks very better. Increased pixel count does have an effect on the quality of the screen, it increases the detail of the image. For example the iPhone 4 screen is much better than the previous one as a result of the increase in pixels.

Last edited by Damien; 08-03-2012 at 15:13.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 16:52   #425
qasdfdsaq
cf. mega noob

qasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze array
qasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze array

But on the other hand it'd look *even* better if they used a better display technology with fewer pixels. There's only so much you can do even if you push the pixel count to infinity if you don't bother improving anything else.
Old 08-03-2012, 16:57   #426
Stephen
Four leaf clover
Cable Forum Team

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+ Box, 3x TiVo, 60MB VM BB
Stephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via MSN to Stephen Send a message via Skype™ to Stephen

Quote:

If I ever run low on space I could delete apps and redownload them later just as easily. But I don't have to because I won't run out of space.

So why are you "impressed" and want to upgrade because of the faster processor, if you're saying it's already good enough? If Apple make a faster device, you want it because you're impressed it's faster. If someone else makes an equally faster device, you rubbish it because your Apple device is already "fast enough". Your logic confounds me.
However as I don't use all 248 of the purchased apps I don't need to have them on my iPad all the time.

Well the better screen quality and faster processor, its more the whole device and all the new features rather than just one of them. However I have never rubbished my current iPad or any other device.

I won't be upgrading right away though as I will wait a few months.

I use a GS2 as my phone and its a fairly powerful device too. However in terms of tablets Android is only just becoming decent for large screen devices and Apple have made a fantastic device that has yet to be beaten.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:57   #427
Damien
-
Cable Forum Team

Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars

The new iPad, especially the screen, is getting a lot of praise from tech pundits.
Old 16-03-2012, 14:01   #428
Matt D
Tezcatlipoca
Cable Forum Team

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Fibre Unlimited (40/10)
Matt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny stars
Matt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny starsMatt D has a pair of shiny stars

<waiting for TNT...>

---------- Post added at 14:01 ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 ----------

Ah, new shiny things for me...

Old 16-03-2012, 15:01   #429
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appeal
jb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appealjb66 has a bronzed appeal

I've bought two to pickup from tesco just in case all the apple heads start crying when everywhere is sold out. Might make some dosh out of it
Old 16-03-2012, 16:28   #430
qasdfdsaq
cf. mega noob

I received 144GB of RAM today, bout the same price as an iPad funny enough.
Old 16-03-2012, 16:54   #431
Stephen
Four leaf clover
Cable Forum Team

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+ Box, 3x TiVo, 60MB VM BB
Stephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via MSN to Stephen Send a message via Skype™ to Stephen

Quote:
I received 144GB of RAM today, bout the same price as an iPad funny enough.

woopty do for you. Why though anyone needs to buy that much RAM I don't know.

Let me see an iPad or lots of RAM. I'll stick with my iPad thanks
Old 16-03-2012, 23:37   #432
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (60meg), 1x Tivo, 1x V+, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Got my 3rd gen delivered today, the screen alone is worth the cost of the upgrade..it's a world apart from the original iPad and I was over the moon with that till now. Along with the iPad2 price reductions, Apple's stranglehold on retina screen supplies, Android and Win8 tablets have a ridiculously high mountain to climb to compete.
This and the original iPad have been the only times I've been so enamoured with a piece of tech, nay anything inanimate, in my life.

"We live in age of mass media where everything, everyday, is frenzied and hysterical and we don't have problems, we have crises."
- Ken Clarke.
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 23:42   #433
Russ
8.49m paced Half Marathon
Cable Forum Team

Russ has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver bling
Russ has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
Got my 3rd gen delivered today, the screen alone is worth the cost of the upgrade..it's a world apart from the original iPad and I was over the moon with that till now. Along with the iPad2 price reductions, Apple's stranglehold on retina screen supplies, Android and Win8 tablets have a ridiculously high mountain to climb to compete.
This and the original iPad have been the only times I've been so enamoured with a piece of tech, nay anything inanimate, in my life.
And thus reality loses another victim....
Old 16-03-2012, 23:43   #434
Damien
-
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
And thus reality loses another victim....
Which part?
Old 16-03-2012, 23:44   #435
Russ
8.49m paced Half Marathon
Cable Forum Team

Russ has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver bling
Russ has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver blingRuss has a lot of silver bling

His mind?