Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"


You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Cable Forum Basement > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-12-2008, 08:43   #1
NEONKNIGHT
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

A bleak commentary by CNN on Sony and its PS3 - when will there be a BIG price reduction to ''save'' the console?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=203995

Microsoft recently said that the current recession would not have a impact on the perform of Xbox360 console but surely no one is recession proof even Nintendo Wii?

  Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2008, 10:17   #2
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Woking
Age: 44
Posts: 2,266
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

RIP.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 10:28   #3
pabscars
cf.mega poster
 
pabscars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: warrington
Age: 42
Services: TiVo, 60Mbps BB, phone
Posts: 2,112
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Given how Microsoft are running a huge TV campain for the 360 this Christmas, and the fact they have also reduced the console price significantly, i think this may sway sony to reduce their console price, if they dont then i can only see sales of the ps3 plummeting further, coupled with the fact that the online aspect of the ps3 imo isnt as good as the xbox, doesnt bode well for sony.
__________________
"If it aint broke, modify and make it better"


It be reet
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 10:41   #4
southwell
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Basingstoke
Age: 30
Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
Posts: 918
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

They can only go down so far though. The PS3 has bluray and wireless as standard, whereas Xbox is all add-on's. I have both and almost always play my PS3 over my Xbox.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 10:45   #5
Stuart
Cable Forum Team
Cable Forum Team
 
Stuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sarf east Luhndun.
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 25,595
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwell View Post
They can only go down so far though. The PS3 has bluray and wireless as standard, whereas Xbox is all add-on's. I have both and almost always play my PS3 over my Xbox.
The problem is that while Blu Ray is undoubtedly the most successful form of HD Disc, even Blu Ray is not selling well. Thus, the PS3 will need to sell well based mainly on the quality of it's game and the fact it has wireless built in (the extra cost of the xbox wireless adaptor is a lot less than the price difference between the PS3 and Xbox).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 10:49   #6
southwell
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Basingstoke
Age: 30
Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
Posts: 918
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
The problem is that while Blu Ray is undoubtedly the most successful form of HD Disc, even Blu Ray is not selling well..
O, no, not at those prices anyway, but at least it's already capable when the prices do eventually fall. If i really like a film im quite happy paying around £12 for it in HD, it just takes a couple of weeks after release date before any deals come up.
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 10:50   #7
icestar2
cf.mega poster
 
icestar2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
Posts: 3,340
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Hmmm poorly written article tbh. Saying things like "The PS3 just doesn't have any must-have titles exclusive to the console" is not a fair comment anymore. Last year yes this year simply no.

Also ok I agree in part with the following statment "The PS3's big bonus is its ability to double as a Blu-Ray player. Too bad no one seems to care about hi-def DVDs. The differences between Blu-Ray and DVD are hard to see on a TV less than 50"." as blu-ray's not really big yet but to say the diffrence is not noticable under 50" is a lie as I notice it on a 32" and a 42" TV. Maybe I just have an eye for detail who knows.

Its not all bad but the article looks like it should of been written last year with the writter still banging on about the same things that Sony was slanted for last year but have made great progress with now.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 10:54   #8
Damien
-
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 22,373
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

There was a similar sentiment a while back, that along with the recession and the Xbox price cuts the PS3 is a less attractive console for people at the moment. Someone from Game ( think it was them) say that since September they have been experiencing a drop in sales for the PS3.

The PS3 had managed to recover from a poor start a while back, Sony need to do it again. They really need a price drop.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 10:58   #9
icestar2
cf.mega poster
 
icestar2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
Posts: 3,340
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The PS3 had managed to recover from a poor start a while back, Sony need to do it again. They really need a price drop.
They are always going to need a price drop with the 360 just dropping and dropping but with them already taking a hit with each console sold its unlikely to happen anytime soon. There are rumours of a price cut early next year but this year I dont think there is a chance tbh.

I have also read abit about some PS2 owners waiting for BC before they upgrade so if Sony can finish the Emulation software they are meant to be working on and release it that may drive sales up. Then again with the PS2 still doing ok will they wait for a while before doing this ? Who knows it is Sony after all lol.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 11:08   #10
Damien
-
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 22,373
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Its not all bad but the article looks like it should of been written last year with the writter still banging on about the same things that Sony was slanted for last year but have made great progress with now.
I think the problems they had last year are returning because of the cost difference between the PS3 and the 360. Although the console is better, is it better enough to warrant the difference? Especially when the 360 has added more exclusive titles as well.

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
They are always going to need a price drop with the 360 just dropping and dropping but with them already taking a hit with each console sold its unlikely to happen anytime soon. There are rumours of a price cut early next year but this year I dont think there is a chance tbh.

I have also read abit about some PS2 owners waiting for BC before they upgrade so if Sony can finish the Emulation software they are meant to be working on and release it that may drive sales up. Then again with the PS2 still doing ok will they wait for a while before doing this ? Who knows it is Sony after all lol.
Yeah, it is difficult for them. Microsoft did very well with their plan for the 360, get it out first and make it cheaper. Sony are also unlucky in that a lot of their business depends on the Playstation these days and Microsoft can afford to make a loss on the Xbox as their plan is to dominate very long term.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 11:14   #11
icestar2
cf.mega poster
 
icestar2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
Posts: 3,340
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think the problems they had last year are returning because of the cost difference between the PS3 and the 360. Although the console is better, is it better enough to warrant the difference? Especially when the 360 has added more exclusive titles as well.
This year the PS3 has had a very good amout of exclusive games and thats why I was saying that they are still using last years complaints.

I think its very unfair for the excuse that PS3 has no exclusives or no good exclusives or whatever to still be used. Its just the console does not have the same size install base as 360 so its never going to move as much on its exclusives but to say it does not have any worth it is insane after the year the PS3 has had (games wise).
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 11:18   #12
Damien
-
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 22,373
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
This year the PS3 has had a very good amout of exclusive games and thats why I was saying that they are still using last years complaints.

I think its very unfair for the excuse that PS3 has no exclusives or no good exclusives or whatever. Its just the console does not have the same size install base as 360 so its never going to move as much on its exclusives but to say it does not have any worth it is insane after the year the PS3 has had.
I think it was badly phrased, but it has less on the 360. In the end it's about what will make people hand over their money, not about what is fair. The 360 is more competitive at the moment, people are less willing to spend a lot of money on a console and the PS3 is just too pricey for a lot of people. They main draw, Blu-Ray, may not be enough for people.

Like I said, it's last years complaints returned because people are less willing to spend a lot.

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

I disagree it's the console at fault, I think it's the price + recession
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 11:27   #13
icestar2
cf.mega poster
 
icestar2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
Posts: 3,340
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think it was badly phrased, but it has less on the 360. In the end it's about what will make people hand over their money, not about what is fair. The 360 is more competitive at the moment, people are less willing to spend a lot of money on a console and the PS3 is just too pricey for a lot of people. They main draw, Blu-Ray, may not be enough for people.

Like I said, it's last years complaints returned because people are less willing to spend a lot.

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

I disagree it's the console at fault, I think it's the price + recession
I agree with what you are saying Damien and when I say I think its unfair I dont mean the competition I mean that the writter of the article was unfair to say that the PS3 has no good exclusive because its simply not true anymore.

The PS3 certainly could do with a price cut now its just unfortunate that its unlikely to happen anytime soon.

And as I said with my other point about high Def not being noticable on a less than 50" screen would you agree with this ? dont know if you've watched a blu-ray or a HD-DVD but myself I really do notice it and these are just some of the reason's I was disagreeing with the article.

At the end of the day I understand that the PS3 need's to do more even now and my agrument is not that of the PS3 is doing fine or me trying to defend the PS3. My argument is with the way the article was written and I would of had the same opinion if similair was written about the 360.

Seems that people are to quick to listen to hear say and write things that simply are not true rather than looking into the facts and then writting an article with some substance.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 11:45   #14
Damien
-
Cable Forum Team
 
Damien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 22,373
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Damien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered starsDamien is seeing silvered stars
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by icestar2 View Post
I agree with what you are saying Damien and when I say I think its unfair I dont mean the competition I mean that the writter of the article was unfair to say that the PS3 has no good exclusive because its simply not true anymore.

The PS3 certainly could do with a price cut now its just unfortunate that its unlikely to happen anytime soon.

And as I said with my other point about high Def not being noticable on a less than 50" screen would you agree with this ? dont know if you've watched a blu-ray or a HD-DVD but myself I really do notice it and these are just some of the reason's I was disagreeing with the article.

At the end of the day I understand that the PS3 need's to do more even now and my agrument is not that of the PS3 is doing fine or me trying to defend the PS3. My argument is with the way the article was written and I would of had the same opinion if similair was written about the 360.

Seems that people are to quick to listen to hear say and write things that simply are not true rather than looking into the facts and then writting an article with some substance.
Yeah, I agree with all of that.

Not sure about Hi-Def. But I notice the difference on my 17inch monitor between Hi-Def and standard but I am close to it.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 12:03   #15
Stuart
Cable Forum Team
Cable Forum Team
 
Stuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sarf east Luhndun.
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 25,595
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: CNN: "PS3 is dying on the shelves"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think it was badly phrased, but it has less on the 360. In the end it's about what will make people hand over their money, not about what is fair. The 360 is more competitive at the moment, people are less willing to spend a lot of money on a console and the PS3 is just too pricey for a lot of people. They main draw, Blu-Ray, may not be enough for people.

Like I said, it's last years complaints returned because people are less willing to spend a lot.

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

I disagree it's the console at fault, I think it's the price + recession
I have to admit, I don't think the PS3 is at fault either. It is a fine console. It's just that in these times, people seem to be looking to "make do" more (thus DVD is still outselling Blu Ray), and where they are upgrading, they are looking at the three consoles, and seem to be coming to the conclusion that the xbox and Wii are a better deal. I suspect it's not that the Xbox or Wii are better consoles (they aren't), but the fact that a lot of the big game franchises (your Need For Speeds, Fifa games etc) are available for at least the 360 and PS3.

If Sony were able to reduce the price a bit and/or licence a few more franchises, they would have more of a fighting chance. People wishing to "make do" more does seem to be extending to Consoles. The extra features the PS3 has over the Xbox may not be worth anything to them (if they aren't looking to install a HD DVD player or wish to use a wired network for instance), so they may come to the conclusion they are looking at a console that costs as much as a cheap PC but does a lot less. Then they see the Wii (with it's funky control systems and party games) and the Xbox 360 costing a lot less..
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Google Search




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:22.


Server: titan.cableforum.co.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2