Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Site Blocker

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Site Blocker

Old 27-04-2012, 18:46   #1
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Sky+ HD, Virgin Media 100mbps (Superhub), Virgin Media TV M, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is on a distinguished roadDaveoc64 is on a distinguished road
Virgin Media Site Blocker

Anybody got any idea what the "Site blocker" tab on "My Virgin Media" is for?

It links to the following site:

https://my.virginmedia.com/site-blocked.html

I could understand the error appearing if a site was blocked for legal reasons, but why is there a tab on My Virgin Media that points to it?

Neither of the links on that page work.
Attached Images
File Type: png sorry.png (66.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: png tab.png (9.4 KB, 70 views)
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2012, 18:59   #2
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: VM Cable 50MB/ M TV / Phone Unlimited 24/7
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Site Blocker

Strange...
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:10   #3
Milambar
cf.geek

Milambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant futureMilambar has a brilliant future

I don't know why this is flagged "100MB" because I get it too, and I'm only on 30Mbit.

It's going to be interesting to see what materializes there. I hope its a list of what sites they have been ordered to censor.

For a food-dish, of radius Z, and thickness A, you can say it is PI*Z*Z*A
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:13   #4
Sirius
Going to retire in Malta

Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
I don't know why this is flagged "100MB" because I get it too, and I'm only on 30Mbit.

It's going to be interesting to see what materializes there. I hope its a list of what sites they have been ordered to censor.
Thankfully i have a VPN so if its any sites i use they will not be able to block them
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:25   #5
General Maximus
Phoenix Legions

Services: phone + L TV + 152mbit BB + Sky+HD
General Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appeal
General Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appealGeneral Maximus has a bronzed appeal

i imagine it will be to do with sites the government has deamed super illegal and orders all isps to blacklist and probably search engines like google as well
Old 27-04-2012, 19:26   #6
philipp
cf.member

Services: VIP 50
philipp is an unknown quantity at this point

its probably going to be used to block things like newsbin2 etc (wasnt that in the news recently for bt need to block it?) when the time arises.
philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:30   #7
Sirius
Going to retire in Malta

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipp View Post
its probably going to be used to block things like newsbin2 etc (wasnt that in the news recently for bt need to block it?) when the time arises.
Thing is Newsbin2 has its own program now that allows it to be reached no matter what the isp does. The more they block these web sites the more the web sites will find ways around it.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:37   #8
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Sky+ HD, Virgin Media 100mbps (Superhub), Virgin Media TV M, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is on a distinguished roadDaveoc64 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
I wasn't able to post the thread without putting something, and that seemed like the most relevant option (although I realise it's miles off).
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 19:58   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 20M SHUB thingy in modem mode XL TV VboxHD and M phone
heero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny star
heero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny starheero_yuy has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Thing is Newsbin2 has its own program now that allows it to be reached no matter what the isp does. The more they block these web sites the more the web sites will find ways around it.
If the Chinese with all their resources can't block their citizens from officially banned content then our government are on a hiding to nothing. Children being so net savvy they'll just waltz around any blocks anyway. I'm sure that the latest playground buzz will be how to get to site xyz where (child x) has got her tits out.
Old 27-04-2012, 22:33   #10
kwikbreaks
Escapee

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I wasn't able to post the thread without putting something, and that seemed like the most relevant option (although I realise it's miles off).
You could have selected the blank option.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 23:45   #11
Skie
a giant headend

Skie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of societySkie is a pillar of society

I bet even using a different DNS server will get around it.

With CISPA in the states, the GCHQ wanting to read all of your emails and facebook posts and this sort of thing I can see the day when everything is encrypted or tunnelled. Which will hamper the security services far more than these misguided policies will ever help them.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 00:42   #12
craigj2k12
Sell me this pen....
Snake Champion

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

If CISPA/SOPA/SISPA/RISPA/RASPA/TROOPA/POOPA etc ever become as strict as planned, the internet is going to change massively for everyone, web browsing software is going to change, and as mentioned, encryption and tunnelling is going to increase tenfold
Old 28-04-2012, 09:45   #13
kwikbreaks
Escapee

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
Which will hamper the security services far more than these misguided policies will ever help them.
Not half as much as reading all the tripe on facebook..
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:14   #14
Chrysalis
VMNG300 RIP!!!

Services: *-BT Infinity 80/20-*
Chrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze array
Chrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze arrayChrysalis has a bronze array

so whats the name of the site that was blocked?

I forsee a time where browsers may remove the facility to use proxies on order of the state, possibly VPNs been made illegal in consumer equipment as well. But the law makers are always behind so those kind of changes are probably a decade away. I also forsee a time where isps whitelist allowed traffic only such as port 80 and mainstream ip's only in that port. The internet is a nightmare for the global elite.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 16:28   #15
Rob
Moving the Goal Posts
Cable Forum Team

Rob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny stars
Rob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny starsRob has a pair of shiny stars

Looks like Pirate bay will be one of the first to be hidden by this link : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17894176