Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TV price rises

Old 02-04-2012, 15:30   #976
mikcoles
cf.member

Services: VirginMedia Premier collection.
mikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nicemikcoles is just really nice
Re: TV price rises

I rang retentions today to see if i could cut my monthly costs as I had Talk unlimited on landline and sky movies and sports with xl tv, tivo and v+ and 20mb broadband soon to be 60 mb.
Didn't use the landline hardly at all and wasn't watching movies so cut phone to basic and done away with movies saved me £18 a month.
mikcoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50   #977
sniper007
cf.addict

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
So you're complaining that VM lied to you (even though they will have the figures to hand, I assume), but you have no problem lying to them? That's called hypocrisy, and - for me - completely negates the rest of your post.
Playing the retentions guys. A lot of people that ring them do it. Call it what you want. A lot of people on here are the first to cry about all the different prices people pay and that ringing retentions and haggling is bad, yet won't pick up the phone and call themselves. You are quite welcome to.
As for the rep I spoke to, yeah it pretty much was a lie. Quoting figures that were nothing like what we use (of which I do measure from time to time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I've had to read your post several times, and I'm still not sure I've got it right? You wanted a £3 discount, but refused an £8 discount when the only difference would be to drop your broadband from 50 to 30 mb, before watching it double to 60? Alrighty then...
Only difference? 50 to 30? My area does not get doubled up in speeds for ages last time I checked. In fact I don't think it was until summer 2013. I will check. Everybody keeps talking like everyone is already doubled up or about to be - not the case for a lot of customers. Also, I didn't want to lose the lack of STM on 50 by dropping to 30. But I need to review that too now that they have changed this.

Why the hostile attitude towards my posts? I don't expect something for nothing. I am weighing up my options is all. The fact is Virgin is not looking particularly attractive to a lot of people at the moment. It's not just the price rises. STM changes, lack of HD content, lack of F1 channel without taking out sports, extra charge for skysports HD channels.

Before anyone tells me I can always go to sky....yeah I know. I am in talks with them. I'm just looking for the best for my money in these hard times so give me a break please.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:02   #978
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Location: NearBaton Rouge, Louisiana odd days in Cardiff South Wales
Services: TiVo ,V + Virgin XL. Phone Broadband. freeview(x 3 sets) COX tv
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post

Only difference? 50 to 30? My area does not get doubled up in speeds for ages last time I checked. In fact I don't think it was until summer 2013. I will check. Everybody keeps talking like everyone is already doubled up or about to be - not the case for a lot of customers. Also, I didn't want to lose the lack of STM on 50 by dropping to 30. But I need to review that too now that they have changed this.

Why the hostile attitude towards my posts? I don't expect something for nothing. I am weighing up my options is all. The fact is Virgin is not looking particularly attractive to a lot of people at the moment. It's not just the price rises. STM changes, lack of HD content, lack of F1 channel without taking out sports, extra charge for skysports HD channels.

Before anyone tells me I can always go to sky....yeah I know. I am in talks with them. I'm just looking for the best for my money in these hard times so give me a break please.
If the broadband speed is a a major problem to you . Then please accept my apologies.In my case I would have taken the offer,as the speed is not a problem for me
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04   #979
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Skype™ to carlwaring

Quote:
Playing the retentions guys.
Quote:
A lot of people that ring them do it.
Something which is absolutely not necessary.
Quote:
Call it what you want.
I call it wanting something for nothing and doing anything to get it.

Quote:
A lot of people on here are the first to cry about all the different prices people pay and that ringing retentions and haggling is bad, yet won't pick up the phone and call themselves.
I have no problem with "haggling", etc. Outright lying, however, is not something I would ever do. In fact, the first thing I always say to 'retentions' is that I have no intention of leaving VM; and yet it doesn't change their attitude towards me. Some people are proud that they have gone in "all guns blazing" and "got one over on VM" and yet don't seem to realise that that attitude simply wasn't necessary.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:17   #980
sniper007
cf.addict

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Something which is absolutely not necessary.

I call it wanting something for nothing and doing anything to get it.

I have no problem with "haggling", etc. Outright lying, however, is not something I would ever do. In fact, the first thing I always say to 'retentions' is that I have no intention of leaving VM; and yet it doesn't change their attitude towards me. Some people are proud that they have gone in "all guns blazing" and "got one over on VM" and yet don't seem to realise that that attitude simply wasn't necessary.
I think you have misinterpreted how I speak to retentions. I am polite and do not hold a grudge against them per say.
Of course it's not necessary to ring retentions. I'm not sure what your point is but you come accross with the upmost disapproval of doing so. I also don't generally go in threatening to cancel unless I mean to do so just for the record. Anyway...

---------- Post added at 10:17 ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
If the broadband speed is a a major problem to you . Then please accept my apologies.In my case I would have taken the offer,as the speed is not a problem for me
No probs. The only issue I have with 30 was the STM. But now they have introduced it on 50 so I am reading up in that thread now. Additionally I had issues with anything less than 50mb last summer which is the reason I went onto it due to over subscribed area.
I just checked actually and it states that I will be doubled up to 100mb between October 2012 and July 2013!
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:54   #981
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Skype™ to carlwaring

Quote:
I think you have misinterpreted how I speak to retentions.
Sorry

Quote:
I am polite and do not hold a grudge against them...
Me too. My point was against those do.

Quote:
Of course it's not necessary to ring retentions.
It is! Always. CS cannot do "deals" like retentions can.

Quote:
I'm not sure what your point is...
I thought I'd made it quite clearly.

Quote:
...but you come across with the upmost disapproval of doing so.
I only disapprove of the way some people do so.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56   #982
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VM Tivo 1gb-TV xl/30mb BB/xl phone
andy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appeal
andy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appealandy_m has a bronzed appeal

You did rather come across as slightly unrealistic-as far as I'm concerned you can't expect to keep all of your current services AND reduce your monthly outlay, and so dropping your broadband tier and saving £8 to me seems excellent. Had you been clearer about why this isn't acceptable to you then my response might well have been different. But you weren't.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05   #983
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
You did rather come across as slightly unrealistic-as far as I'm concerned you can't expect to keep all of your current services AND reduce your monthly outlay, and so dropping your broadband tier and saving £8 to me seems excellent. Had you been clearer about why this isn't acceptable to you then my response might well have been different. But you weren't.
Andy it the past you could, look back at my posts ( If that can be done) You will find that I
a) reduced my monthly bill by around £10 ( the bottom line is £10.50 less than I paid per month prior to doing it,the break down does not interest me)
b) Had my V+ moved to another room ( I swapped back but that is another story)
c) Had a 500bit ( is that right) TiVo put in.

The call charges were changed - but as I hardly use the phone I did not care.( they remain around the same each month, small change) My BB remained the same.
Old 07-04-2012, 17:02   #984
kgollop
cf.geek

Services: VIP 50 Pack with big and little Tivo
kgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud ofkgollop has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Can anyone confirm VIP50 price increases (with 2 TIVOS). VM wrote to me to say that my bill was going up just over £4 per month, but I have the latest bill and it has gone up over £7 per month! It looks like they have added an extra TIVO fee onto the bill. I only ordered my 2nd TIVO last year for the imminent multi room streaming and to because we were told signing up before a certain date (November if I recall correctly) that we wouldn't be liable for the TIVO fee on the 2nd box. Is this a billing error or have I been shafted? Apologies if this has already been discussed.
Anyone able to answer this query?
kgollop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 19:48   #985
borrissey
cf.geek

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgollop View Post
Anyone able to answer this query?
Yeah same thing happemed to me I phoned them up and they took the charge off and credited me £10 for the charges I occured.
Sony 55EX723 1080p 3D LED, Yamaha 1900 AV receiver, 5.1 AE&KEF Speakers. BK XXLS400 sub. Sony 470 Blu ray player. 1TB TIVO, PS4. Toshiba 46" 1080p LCD, Onkyo 605 AV receiver, 500GB TiVo. AE&KEF 5.1 speakers.QED Cables
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 14:51   #986
denphone
Still alive and smiling

Services: XL BB, 2 Tivo's, XL TV.
denphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered stars
denphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered stars

Just a note of caution to customers who are considering going to BT in that if customers were unhappy with Virgin putting their prices up this year then BT l am afraid putting their prices up at twice the rate of inflation.

Quote:
Around 10m BT customers are being told that phone and broadband bills are to rise by up to 6 per cent, in the latest blow to cash-strapped households.

BT is hiking its prices from January 5, with phone calls, line rental and broadband rising by up to 5.9 per cent - more than twice the rate of inflation, at 2.6 per cent.

The group, which recently agreed deals worth £890m to secure rights to screen Premier League football and Premiership rugby matches, revealed that people signing up to the group's cheapest television package Vision Essentials will see the monthly tariff increase from £4 to £5, a 25 per cent rise.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...inflation-rate
Old 13-09-2012, 15:01   #987
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Just a note of caution to customers who are considering going to BT in that if customers were unhappy with Virgin putting their prices up this year then BT l am afraid putting their prices up at twice the rate of inflation.
Waiting for "We are doubling your BB speeds for no extra cost " to appear.
Sorry could not resist
Old 13-09-2012, 15:02   #988
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array
Dave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze arrayDave42 has a bronze array

Quote:

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...inflation-rate
more prove that those that think prices will come down are totally wrong prices only ever go up
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 15:08   #989
denphone
Still alive and smiling

Services: XL BB, 2 Tivo's, XL TV.
denphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered stars
denphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered starsdenphone is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Waiting for "We are doubling your BB speeds for no extra cost " to appear.
Sorry could not resist
Nice to know that Victor does have the occasional sense of humour.

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
more prove that those that think prices will come down are totally wrong prices only ever go up
Exactly as the grass is not always greener on the other side as some think it is.
Old 13-09-2012, 15:18   #990
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Nice to know that Victor does have the occasional sense of humour.---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:06 ----------

Thanks Den I laff at a lot of things, my problem is ,I am usually the only one that find them funny Still love old Dave Allen sketches. W C Fields
Bob Newhart & also Victor Borg rate up there for me. Stuck in a time warp that's for sure