Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Old 09-12-2011, 13:13   #241
Hullk
Inactive

Hullk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media TiVo iPad app

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn00p View Post
I'll be able to try it for myself tomorrow when I get home!

Hopefully it'll be more reliable than the scripts.

Edit:

For those with a mac, this is the mac version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24518476/bon...c-binaries.dmg
The Mac version also works as expected. Thanks sn00p, no more Python
Hullk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2011, 13:47   #242
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 152Mb BB, Sky World with 1TB Sky+HD, Sky+HD & SkyHD boxes
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Here's some win32 binaries I compiled from the latest version:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24518476/bon...2-binaries.zip

Things to note:

* Should work, although because I'm away from home, I haven't actually tried it on a real box.
* Should be fairly stable.
* Will continue to show boxes that disappear off the network.
* You can rename a box by double clicking on it and entering the new name.
Thanks for this, been using for a few days now & it's certainly more solid than the older python script.

Just a thought, will we be able to set recordings etc when we're out and about or will we only be able to use the app on the local network?
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 16:17   #243
Parlyboy
cf.addict

Services: VIP 120 with Tivo
Parlyboy is a jewel in the roughParlyboy is a jewel in the roughParlyboy is a jewel in the roughParlyboy is a jewel in the roughParlyboy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch View Post
I just posted this quick guide for Windows users over at Tivocommunity, here it is in case any of you don't hang out there also:

Install Python 2.7.2 from here. This installed to C:\Python27

I then had to fanny about with the .py scripts because it seems python changes it's syntax rules on a regular basis and most of the scripts wouldn't run without removing print statements and getting rid of some commenting. Here are the already-edited versions, just extract to C:\Python27: linky

Use Notepad++ or similar to add your TiVo and PC IP addresses into mdns-tivo-forgery.py, I've labelled where you need to put them. Also add the TSN. Save the changes.

Not sure if this step is needed, probably not - edit remote1.py and remote2.py substituting the TiVo IP with your own and entering your MAK.

Now just double click mdns-tivo-forgery.py in your C:\Python27 directory, if you see "Running mDNS daemon" you're probably good to go.

All creds to arantius for the script and foddy for realising it could be used for something cool.
Brilliant!! Works a treat and gives us a great early view of what the official app might look like.

Great that I can now set up recordings, browse and search without interrupting the wifes viewing.

To IDBIRCH and everyone else who contributed, heartfelt thanks.

PB

Last edited by Parlyboy; 10-12-2011 at 16:28.
Parlyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 19:01   #244
tdenson
cf.member

tdenson is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullk View Post
The Mac version also works as expected. Thanks sn00p, no more Python
Me too. I couldn't get the python version to work, but this is brilliant, Thanks sn00p.

Tony
tdenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 23:14   #245
tdenson
cf.member

I've played with it a bit more and it is amazing, this for me is the first thing that makes it better than the S1 Tivo. I can't believe that VM are making such a meal of getting it out of the door. It is so frustrating that a guy on a forum who has no affiliation to Virgin, no access to source code or documentation or the Virgin infrastructure can cobble together a working version and yet Virgin are still saying next year. It comes down to sheer motivation and enthusiasm.

Tony
Old 11-12-2011, 23:25   #246
Stephen
Four leaf clover
Cable Forum Team

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+ Box, 3x TiVo, 60MB VM BB
Stephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Send a message via AIM to Stephen Send a message via MSN to Stephen Send a message via Skype™ to Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdenson View Post
I've played with it a bit more and it is amazing, this for me is the first thing that makes it better than the S1 Tivo. I can't believe that VM are making such a meal of getting it out of the door. It is so frustrating that a guy on a forum who has no affiliation to Virgin, no access to source code or documentation or the Virgin infrastructure can cobble together a working version and yet Virgin are still saying next year. It comes down to sheer motivation and enthusiasm.

Tony
Sorry but I disagree completly, VM and TiVo have worked closely on the app to get it sorted. Not sure why the delay as everything was on track afaik.
Old 11-12-2011, 23:44   #247
tdenson
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Sorry but I disagree completly, VM and TiVo have worked closely on the app to get it sorted. Not sure why the delay as everything was on track afaik.
Doesn't seem to me that VM/Tivo have been that committed to getting it to customers. As far as I understand it the version of software that we are running successfully now was in this form at least a year ago.

---------- Post added at 23:44 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

I have just installed the app onto a second iPad and it is failing to find any Tivos. Is anyone else seeing anything like this ?
Old 11-12-2011, 23:48   #248
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Mine seem to sometimes not be able to ind them but leave it for a bit and then it starts working again.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:13   #249
sn00p
cf.member

sn00p is on a distinguished roadsn00p is on a distinguished road

Those who still keep seeing stuff dissapear with the non script versions, are you using the virgin superhub? The wifi performance on it is terrible.....

When I got home Friday night I installed the app and it's been working faultlessly since.

Make sure the machine the app is running on does not go to sleep otherwise the bonjour services will stop being advertised, although on wakeup they should appear immediately.
sn00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:46   #250
idbirch
cf.member

idbirch is an unknown quantity at this point

Using sn00p's win32 app, I still get times when the app says it can't find any TiVo boxes but toggling the WiFi off/on on the iPad always fixes it. I don't think this is any fault of sn00p's app though, I believe it will be just the same once the official app is out the door.
idbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01   #251
Majordude
cf.member

Majordude is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdenson View Post

Tony
I agree. I used it for the first time to set up my planned recordings for the week.

The day and date selector on the guide works really well to find programmes to record in the week ahead.

Also reordering priorities is much easier with the click and drag option up and down the list, just make sure you do all you want to do with the list first before you finalise it as it takes a while to effect the changes.

Hope the VM version will not be slowed done by the extra graphic downloads.
Majordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 16:40   #252
UnStable
cf.member

UnStable is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbirch View Post
Thanks sn00p, just rebooted all my equipment and tested this - works great. You've definitely opened this up for the masses now - just extract and run the exe!
When I run that exe should it find my Tivo on the network? and then the iPad app can connect to it? Neither app or exe can see my Tivo at the moment (it is on the network because the Peanut app works fine)
UnStable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 18:18   #253
sn00p
cf.member

sn00p is on a distinguished roadsn00p is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnStable View Post
When I run that exe should it find my Tivo on the network? and then the iPad app can connect to it? Neither app or exe can see my Tivo at the moment (it is on the network because the Peanut app works fine)
Can you install the "Bonjour Browser" on your iPad and then check if you can see the services being advertised by the real box or "virtual box"?

I guess in peanut you just enter in the IP address of the box so it doesn't rely on being able to see advertised services on the network.
sn00p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 19:51   #254
UnStable
cf.member

UnStable is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Can you install the "Bonjour Browser" on your iPad and then check if you can see the services being advertised by the real box or "virtual box"?

I guess in peanut you just enter in the IP address of the box so it doesn't rely on being able to see advertised services on the network.
Thanks got it all working fine now
UnStable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 20:21   #255
Zub2011
Inactive

Zub2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Am i missing soething but when is the official ipad app out
Zub2011 is offline   Reply With Quote