Welcome to the second edition of the Cable Forum Newsletter, which covers a round up of events since the last edition in October 2004.
We hope you enjoyed the first newsletter, it certainly caused us a bit of fun. If you were one of the people who got three or four copies then please accept our apologies - we hope we have learned from the experience of sending the first letter and have ironed out the problems.
IN THIS ISSUE:
- New And Upcoming Board Features
- Cable Forum Donations Link
- Cable Forum Meet 2005
- Front Row Listings
* Recent Cable Forum News
* Helpful Post of the Month
* Team News
* Clan News
# ANNOUNCEMENTS #
We suffered a series of problems that resulted in the site being unavailable for almost a day at the beginning of January, but with a team effort, and a bit of extra help, we are now back and running as fast as ever. A status forum has been set-up on the Cable Forum Test System - in the event of major failures of the main site - updates will be posted there - See http://www.cableforum.info/board/forumdisplay.php?f=29
New and Upcoming Board Features :
We have installed a number of new features, some major and some more minor.
* Arcade - The Arcade was launched at the end of November, much to the delight of many members, who have been waiting since the idea was first mentioned in the Summer.
* Chat - A linked chat system was launched in early December - useful for chatting with fellow members. It can also be used to offer realtime help in cases where a lot of to/from posting would normally be required.
* Blogs - The new integrated CF blogs are now officially launched and with the demise of the old MT blogs due to security issues they are now the preferred choice. We we be looking at how we can improve the new blogs in 2005.
* Articles - A separate Articles section where all useful information can be found. We are always looking for new articles, so please think about what you could add - contact Nemesis for more details.
* New Posts count (since last visit) - This was withdrawn for a few days for a bug fix, but is now back.
* New reputation comments count - see instantly when someone has given you reputation.
* Members who have visited the site today - on the main forum home page.
* Quote/No Quote options in standard and private message replies.
* Doublepost Hack.
* Upgrades - The forum software (vBulletin) has been updated to Version 3.0.6 (the second update in two weeks). All our custom hacks have been retained.
We are always on the lookout for enhancements, if you have an idea then you can post it in the website forum or contact the resident tweaker (Paul M) or indeed, contact any member of the Team.
Cable Forum Donations Link:
Sadly servers are not free. It costs ?79 month to run the dedicated server that Cable Forum runs on. This cost is covered by the team, but after many enquiries from members we have added a link on the forum to allow donations towards our costs. Donations are completely voluntary and anonymous. Contributors get an advert free forum, and an extra Private Message allowance. We may look at other extra benefits in 2005 (such as an e-mail account). The link can be found at the top of the forum home page and on search results pages.
Cable Forum Meet 2005 :
There are no firm details for this yet, the topic can be found here - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=20115
Front Row Listings:
Cable Forum will now be hosting the Front Row listings after entering into a partnership with the external website www.frontrow-movies.co.uk
. A site run by our long standing member "Bob". The listings can be found in their own section of the Articles - See http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?c=24
# CABLE FORUM NEWS #
We continue to provide news articles on the site, some of which are Cable Forum exclusives - some recent articles include ;
* ntl launches VOD TV Service : The launch of Video On Demand in Glasgow.
* Telewest launches PVR to challenge Sky+ : The new Telewest Personal Video Recorder, including hot off the press pictures.
* ntl broadband speed changes : Including exclusive news of new upload speeds.
To view all the news, visit http://www.cableforum.co.uk/news/
# MOST HELPFUL POST OF THE MONTH #
Incognitas continues to run this poll each month in our Website Discussion area - you can vote for what you think is the "Most helpful Post of the Month".
The last three months winners are;
October - Graham & Richard M
November - punky & scastle
December - Nemesis
The nominations thread for Janurary is currently running in the website section of the forum.
# TEAM NEWS #
Chris T has moved to Scotland and Richard M has a new job as a full time Web Developer. Stuartbe is still ill and we wish him well.
# CLAN NEWS #
You can find the gaming clan forums here:
[CF] Xbox Clan, resurrection:
Caspar is pleased to announce the resurrection of the CF Xbox clan! Playing Halo2 and Ghost Recon 2, and concentrating on the former, the new clan is being headed by Jarandco. With 12 clanners there?s plenty of fun to be had and room to grow, please contact Jarandco if you wish to join?
[NTHW] PC Clan, update:
The forum?s PC clan is growing from strength to strength over the last few months, with over 20 clanners there?s plenty of gaming and excitement to go round. The clan is currently concentrating on Medal of Honor: Spearhead and Unreal Tournament 2004, with possible interest in CounterStrike: Source. The clan leader is Nemesis and being supported by Rough D. The clan recently purchased its own dedicated server from I-WebSolutions.co.uk, which is proving to be a huge hit with quality gaming available!
Come and join the clan:
Spearhead (public server): moh.nthwclan.com
Spearhead (rifles only): moh2.nthwclan.com
Unreal Tournament 2004: ut.nthwclan.com
[NTHW] UT2004 Website Completed.
Richard M has just finished making the UT2004 website for the clan, the history section is particularly interesting reading.
Check it out at http://www.nthwclan.com/ut2004/
Mobile & lightweight version: http://www.nthwclan.com/ut2004/?no_css
The Medal Of Honor & XBox versions are coming soon.
# Finally #
Thank you for reading our newsletter. If you haven't visited the site for a while - please come and see us.
If for any reason you do not wish to receive this newsletter then go into the options section of your usercp and untick the "Receive Email from Administrators" option. Alternatively you can contact an Administrator and we will update your profile.
The Cable Forum Team.
* Frank, Neil, Mick, Richard M, Russ D, Caspar, Steve H, Nemesis, Paul M, Matt D, Stuartbe & Chris T *