Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 15:06   #391
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media Closing Albert Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
A breach of the Working Time Regulations 1998 and the company should be prosecuted for such ignorance.
Would you care to elaborate and share your knowledge with the rest of us?

I can then run it by the company solicitor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Thank you for your attempt at giving us attitude adjustments.

I have looked at what you have stated and can now confirm that as you do not know me or anyone else on this forum and based on my or there day to day work it means what you are saying has no relevance. Your constant questioning of vm staff about what they do, what they think of there employer and employment has nothing to do with you what so ever and frankly it is starting to look a lot like stalking.
As previously explained, if you have a problem with me or any other member of Cable Forum, you should use the ignore facility.

I do hope that you show your manager and colleagues more respect.
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2012, 15:10   #392
Sirius
Going to retire in Malta

Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Very much so
Old 06-03-2012, 16:01   #393
Paul M
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky+ Multiroom : VM Cable (30 Mbps)
Paul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny stars
Paul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny starsPaul M has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
As previously explained, if you have a problem with me or any other member of Cable Forum, you should use the ignore facility.
You are not a moderator here, do not presume to tell members what they should or should not do.

Quote:
You are treading on very thin ice atm, you have been warned about your attitude towards our members here, specifially VM employees. I suggest you heed it if you wish to continue posting.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 06-03-2012, 17:11   #394
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate and share your knowledge with the rest of us?

I can then run it by the company solicitor.
Whoever they are they are extracting the urine and anyone that stays as one of his employees must be pretty dumb because unless they are getting paid for those holidays the is little point staying with that company.

The boss is nothing more than a thief who is preying on his staff and if they were my employer I would be taking them to a tribunal for constructive dismissal as that is an abuse of power.

5 weeks unpaid holiday means a loss of a minimum of £1500/£2000 and that is a cut to far for most people and if you even that out over a year they are probably now below minimum wage.

Your friend/colleague/acquaintance whose company this is the lowest form of boss you can have and I for one would wish a company such as that to go out of business as his employees would be better employed looking for a position with a employer that has a conscience.
Old 06-03-2012, 18:46   #395
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The employer that I was referring to is actually a Local Authority, so let's hope that your wish that they "go out of business" does not bear fruit, as a lot of people such as the elderly, disabled, children etc would suffer greatly if they did.

The employees accepted that it was the best way to tackle a bad situation and prevent even more redundancies, which could have been either themselves or their colleagues.

They have been selfless, not dumb, in showing loyalty to both their employer and service users (many of whom are vulnerable members of society) and I applaud them for this.

The people that did this could have taken voluntary redundancy as an alternative if they wanted to leave, but many realise that it is very difficult to obtain alternative employment in the current economic climate.

They all signed a new contract of employment and Unison have scrutinised it for any legal irregularities, including ensuring that the minimum wage regulations are satisfied for the hours that they work.

Unfortunately, we will be seeing more and more zero hours contracts.

Tesco, for example, now use them and if the wages budget is exhausted, employees are required to take unpaid leave.

This arrangement, in my view, does not breach the 1998 Working Time Regulations, a summary of which is supplied below along with my comments as to why not.

28 days’ paid annual leave per year- they will still receive this.

An average 48 hours a week working limit- this will be adhered to.

A limit of eight hours (average) work in a 24 hour period for night workers- as will this requirement.

Free health assessments for night workers- and this.
11 hours rest in a 24 hour period- and this.
24 hours rest per week- and this.
Rest breaks for those who work more than six hours- and this too.

I too don't like the way that employers are having to respond to the very serious economic challenges, but it's the harsh reality that we are all going to have to face up to.

In the old days, groups of desperate men would all turn up at Albert Dock on a daily basis touting for work and a select few would be picked for one days work only, with the rest being sent home- let's hope we don't return to those days.
Old 06-03-2012, 18:55   #396
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Well if I worked for a local authority and it did that then I would not be working for it for long as that is taking money from people and in all likelihood causing hardships and the employees having to claim from the state.

If the was a local authority doing this somehow I think it would have made the national news as that would be scandalous and the chief executive and his complete team should lose their jobs, I also doubt they are giving up 5 weeks wages but them again on the kind of wages they are on it would hardly be noticed.
Old 06-03-2012, 19:59   #397
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Google doesn't show anything on this topic (local authority five weeks unpaid leave).....

If my post is in bold, it's a moderating decision - if not, it's not.
Old 06-03-2012, 20:04   #398
Sirius
Going to retire in Malta

Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Google doesn't show anything on this topic (local authority five weeks unpaid leave).....
Are you at all surprised by that ?
Old 06-03-2012, 21:18   #399
qasdfdsaq
cf. mega noob

qasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze array
qasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze array

Maybe this:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9399..._as_perks_cut/

or similar, but different numbers in question:

http://www.localgovernmentlawyer.co....s&q=&Itemid=25

There's more than one local authority doing it.
Fully customizeable dd-wrt/openwrt routing engine
Old 06-03-2012, 21:25   #400
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Bit of a difference between 1 day in York and 25 days, IMHO.

Re the Dorset example, it didn't happen...

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/new..._unpaid_leave/

Old 06-03-2012, 21:34   #401
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
As above it would have been national news and the chief executive would have probably stepped down and be suing the government by now for loss of earnings.
Old 06-03-2012, 22:03   #402
qasdfdsaq
cf. mega noob

qasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze array
qasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze arrayqasdfdsaq has a bronze array

Well there's this and this too. Just the first few google results. Don't claim to have read them. I'm sure you'll find it if you dig deeper (providing it's true of course).

There's nothing illegal about unpaid leave or working only part of the year. For some jobs it's already pretty standard. Using it as a cost cutting tool isn't new either.
Fully customizeable dd-wrt/openwrt routing engine
Old 06-03-2012, 22:25   #403
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team

Agreed, but the poster was specific about five weeks, and I cannot find any corroborating evidence.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:46   #404
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Agreed, but the poster was specific about five weeks, and I cannot find any corroborating evidence.
Plus if this was fact it would be more than just hearsay it would be on the national news.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27   #405
Sirius
Going to retire in Malta

Quote:
I would not look for to long Hugh i don't think it will exist
Closed Thread