Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Contractors

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Contractors

Old 12-03-2012, 20:18   #316
judgey
cf.addict

judgey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Contractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLNSLN View Post
Hi could someone please tell me who has the contract for virgin media in herts and beds? Thankyou.

is it not Fujitsu
judgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 21:49   #317
install_tech
Inactive

install_tech is an unknown quantity at this point

djsaders if you have been there for 2month now u will think it only pays the bills wait till a year down the line when u think to yourself why did i choose this job! i worth for Fujitsu now and this has to be the worse contactor going the dont no what they are doing i thought mcnics was bad till fujitsu took over, I am doing 2man work myself making a good wage at the end of the week but i dont get tom see my wee boy since hes in his bed at 7, so what would i rather have money or time with wee man? think it time for wee man
install_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:30   #318
cable monkey
Inactive

cable monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by install_tech View Post
djsaders if you have been there for 2month now u will think it only pays the bills wait till a year down the line when u think to yourself why did i choose this job! i worth for Fujitsu now and this has to be the worse contactor going the dont no what they are doing i thought mcnics was bad till fujitsu took over, I am doing 2man work myself making a good wage at the end of the week but i dont get tom see my wee boy since hes in his bed at 7, so what would i rather have money or time with wee man? think it time for wee man
the wee man wont be a wee man for long,how much is it worth to read him his bedtime story and tuck him in bed at night,i once turned down a fortune to work away in Belgium/Holland so i could do that,they grow up fast,my kids are now at an age where maybe if the chance came again i would say yes,

Family come first every time in my book
cable monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 10:29   #319
MarcosREX
Inactive

MarcosREX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello.I am looking for work as VM - Installers / data cabling in the area of Scotland. I have over 5 years experience in Optical Fiber, cat5, cat6, fusion, works given network, heights. if someone could help me would appreciate it.

MarcosREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 16:42   #320
MrIca
cf.addict

MrIca is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought this was worth posting: BT staff have just had a CWU newsletter through the post saying that BT have commited to going to zero third party work. They want everything back in house. I have heard for a while they are not happy with the work being done by contracting firms. The permanent BT staff aren't happy either as they are messing up the network.

The problem is BT have a 2 year deal with the contracting firms so that has to be honoured before letting them go. We are already starting to see some things coming back in house. SOME of the fibre cabinet comissioning is already back in house. Previously this was all done by contractors.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 17:24   #321
MarcosREX
Inactive

MrIca thanks, I will continue looking for work in Scotland and beyond.
Old 27-04-2012, 17:55   #322
MrIca
cf.addict

Thought I should let people know their current intentions as I wouldn't want people going for these jobs thinking they've got a job for life.
Old 27-04-2012, 18:09   #323
MarcosREX
Inactive

I understand your point of view. Bt does not want more contractors.

I actually have almost 7 months in Scotland looking for work with contractors, HAYS, KELLY, ASA RECRUITMENT. ETC. I have over 5 years experience with Fiber Optics, Fiber fusion, installation of telephone lines, patching, working at heights. etc. and I see that is very difficult to find something.
Old 28-04-2012, 10:44   #324
MrIca
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosREX View Post
I understand your point of view. Bt does not want more contractors.

I actually have almost 7 months in Scotland looking for work with contractors, HAYS, KELLY, ASA RECRUITMENT. ETC. I have over 5 years experience with Fiber Optics, Fiber fusion, installation of telephone lines, patching, working at heights. etc. and I see that is very difficult to find something.
Well it is coming up to that time of year again where BT start taking on new permanent staff so keep an eye on their website.
Old 29-04-2012, 00:55   #325
sweaty
cf.member

Services: SKY/BTBB/BTV
sweaty is an unknown quantity at this point

BT have been going back to in-house on and off for years!!. They have a lot of deadwood to get rid of and some staff are just turning up to get the pay but actually have no work to do. They are redeployed eventually or shown the door but not until a long a winding process has been carried out. It happened a few years back when the exchange contractors were shown the door to be replaced in BT staff. The BT staff could not cope with 'hard work' and the contractors had to come back to finish the work off. I know, I've worked for BT as a contractor and salaried staff ...
sweaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 10:53   #326
MrIca
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweaty View Post
BT have been going back to in-house on and off for years!!. They have a lot of deadwood to get rid of and some staff are just turning up to get the pay but actually have no work to do. They are redeployed eventually or shown the door but not until a long a winding process has been carried out. It happened a few years back when the exchange contractors were shown the door to be replaced in BT staff. The BT staff could not cope with 'hard work' and the contractors had to come back to finish the work off. I know, I've worked for BT as a contractor and salaried staff ...
I'm mainly talking about contractors working outside visiting customer's houses doing installs. That's never happened before and that is the part in particular that hasn't worked as the contractors are paid per job (sort of), so they cut corners, steal pairs etc. I realise that exchange work and the like has been in house and not in house in the past.
Old 29-04-2012, 13:02   #327
DJSADERS
McNicholas Thames Valley

Services: XL TV, 1TB Cisco TiVo, Samsung vPlus, 100MB BB (SHUB2), XL Phone, Staff Discount
DJSADERS is a jewel in the roughDJSADERS is a jewel in the roughDJSADERS is a jewel in the roughDJSADERS is a jewel in the roughDJSADERS is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS Send a message via Skype™ to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by install_tech View Post
yeah i understand that, same with my boy don't really get to see him in the week, however bills do need to be paid, and there is nothing else out there, i enjoy the job (to a point).

i do sometimes wish i could go back to web design but thats not going to happen and the job satisfaction i feel makes it worthwhile.
Old 29-05-2012, 20:29   #328
bopsgtir
cf.member

bopsgtir is an unknown quantity at this point

has anyone heard of Comex?? i think they are covering London
bopsgtir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 18:53   #329
redone
Inactive

redone is an unknown quantity at this point

Been told by a mate of mine that Map are back on installs as of tomorrow in the north west,north east and Glasgow
redone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 20:59   #330
ibe
Inactive

Services: VM staff pack, tivo,,60mb +add stb
ibe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all, can anyone tell me which contractor(s) are covering the instals in the North of England.

thx
ibe is offline   Reply With Quote