ntl and the analogue switch off
# Sep 15, 04:42 PM by Nemesis
On Thursday 15th September, according to ntl, the Government is expected to announce its plans to switch off analogue terrestrial television in the UK by 2012. This process is called ‘digital’ switchover’ and is widely reckoned to be the most significant TV milestone since the introduction of colour TV in the UK in 1967.
What’s significant about the announcement?
- It’s the first time the Government has formally confirmed that it will be withdrawing analogue terrestrial signals in the UK by 2012.
- It means that all households in the UK will need to equip their TV sets with digital reception by 2012.
- It will confirm that digital switchover is to be implemented region-by-region (starting with the ITV ‘Borders’ area in north-west England in 2008/09).
- Following the announcement, the Government will be advertising digital switchover in the national and regional press, on TV and on a dedicated website http://www.digitaluk.co.uk. This activity is intended to encourage people who still have analogue TV to switch to digital TV.
Why is the UK switching off analogue TV?
- About 25% of homes in the UK will not be able to receive digital terrestrial TV (Freeview) until the old analogue signals are withdrawn.
- The Government hopes that switching to digital will free up spectrum that could be used for new terrestrial services such as high definition television (HDTV) and broadcasting to mobile phones.
What does this mean for ntl?
The Government announcement is likely to increase interest in digital TV, and ntl could expect additional queries from those considering the switch to digital TV for the first time. It’s a great opportunity for ntl to shout about the ntl digital TV packages (including access to ntl’s exciting on-demand services in some areas).
Prospective customers can choose from:
- Base Pack – great value pack with over 100 Digital TV & Radio channels including Sky One, E4, abc1, MTV, Cartoon Network, Living TV & British Eurosport.
- Family Pack – bursting with over 160 Digital TV & Radio channels including Paramount Comedy, FX, Nickelodeon, TCM and Extreme Sports.
ntl also have a range of double and triple-play offers to offer prospects even better value. Including:
- TU24 + DTV – BOGOF
- 3 for £30 offers
- Family Pack + Free Sky Sports